Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EL Football this weekend

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Bohs still struggling to find some form, hopefully we can kickstart our season against Bray next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,848 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

bohsman wrote: »
    Bohs still struggling to find some form, hopefully we can kickstart our season against Bray next week.

Was a poor game tbh, Rovers were brutal...as were their songs

Trilla wrote: »
    Was a poor game tbh, Rovers were brutal...as were their songs

Agreed but if we keep grinding out results like that Ill be happy, Byrne had a couple of great chances aswell so a good few positives to take out of it.
    Rovers wont finish in the top 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Interesting. Another reason to gloat tomorrow!! :D

His record is quite poor against the hoops, one goal in 20+ games, and that was in 2001 IIRC.
    Really. It's all too beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Delighted with the result over Rovers last night as had other commitments and could not make it so was updated with texts from mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Rovers were poor last night. Kept hitting high balls, but only winning one header in ten.

Rovers singing however was top class!

Also, Super Mario Bohs, worst banner ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Commically bad.

It was a poor game, with two teams playing poor nervous football. Bohs capatilised on a shocking mistake in the Rovers defence and held out.

It was a derby played in a downpour, with a shockingly biased and excitable ref. So you were never going to get total football.

But hey, in spite of Buttimer and Roddy, and not forgetting the fabulously foolish Rovers hubris here and elsewhere, guess what? We won! :D

BTW, @ hoop who said Crowe rarely scores against you, his record, it seems, is 15/24.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Worse than "SRFC Dublin's Club".:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Drogs were pretty poor against Galway. A better team will stuff us if we perform as badly again. However, 3 points are very welcome after the last few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

So so bad. If the match against Limerick was bad this was holocaust bad! Thank god I had a day in the pub before it to make it easier! Kildare deserved to win. Missed a penalty and hit the post. Dear lord summer soccer is cold! Im going to the pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

DesF wrote: »
    One Derby to rule them all,
    One Derby to find them,
    One Derby to bring them all
    and in the darkness bind them

Lads, I'm on about the only Derby match that matters.

Shelbourne versus Sporting Fingal.

We see you in a couple of weeks ;)

Funnily enough Shels were mentioned during the game against Dundalk by the noisy section of the Fingal crowd in a song. They must be looking forward to the match.

1st teams this time!

dsmythy wrote: »
    Fingal
    +
    dsmythy wrote: »
    crowd
    Eh?
    Who follows a team dreamed up by some councillor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

SectionF wrote: »
    +

Eh?
    Who follows a team dreamed up by some councillor?

Liam Buckley a councillor these days?

Anyway i do, as do a couple of hundred other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The worst game of football i've ever seen played in Flancare. Good jesus, words fail.... Kildare are very poor but should have won 2-0, shay kelly was the only good player on the pitch, he saved a pen. Very, very bad. :(
    (Darren McKenna went off early injured:()

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Sligo 3 - 1 Ramblers

Good win for Sligo.

They should have more points than they have now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Rovers were poor last night. Kept hitting high balls, but only winning one header in ten.

Rovers singing however was top class!

Hard to read a great deal into either sides respective league chances as it was the usual bloodbath, I think Bohs got 5 bookings before Rovers picked one up.

Once that rain started it was never going to be pretty with two teams depleted from injuries. It was the proverbial game of two halves, they were better in the first and Rovers in the second, we absolutely bombarded them for the last 25 mins. Crowe did nothing except for pounce on the one defensive mistake of the game and that was that.

We definitely did enough for the draw - O'Connor ran rings around Heary and I have no idea how the ball stayed out in the last 15 mins.

I thought thats what the banner said but as it was made out of clear plastic so it was unreadable. Not as bad as the Thomas Davis effort last year though. Mediocre crowd of 4,500 - 3,000 hoops and 1,500 black and tans.

It was the proverbial game of two halves, they were better in the first and Rovers in the second, we absolutely bombarded them for the last 25 mins. Crowe did nothing except for pounce on the one defensive mistake of the game and that was that.

We definitely did enough for the draw - O'Connor ran rings around Heary and I have no idea how the ball stayed out in the last 15 mins.
    Remind me of the score in the second half? :D
    Remind me of what you said before the match? :pac:
    Your players have heart and guts, and Scully has them boxing above their weight, I'll give you that. The only way you were going to get a draw was from one of the many easy free kicks that Buttimer gave you, and that let you retain possession in the final 15. But Rovers hadn't the wherewithal to use it.
    O'Connor had a few flashes in the first half, but that was sorted after the break. The only real hoops quality I saw was between the sticks: your keeper made two brilliant stops to spare you a 0-3 rout.
    Still with the name-calling? I suppose it's all you've got left.

Remind me of the score in the second half? :D
    Remind me of what you said before the match? :pac:
    Your players have heart and guts, and Scully has them boxing above their weight, I'll give you that. The only way you were going to get a draw was from one of the many easy free kicks that Buttimer gave you, and that let you retain possession in the final 15. But Rovers hadn't the wherewithal to use it.
    O'Connor had a few flashes in the first half, but that was sorted after the break. The only real hoops quality I saw was between the sticks: your keeper made two brilliant stops to spare you a 0-3 rout.
    Still with the name-calling? I suppose it's all you've got left.

If thats the way you want to interpret the game - good luck to you. You are wrong, but we expect no less.

Others would say it was a typical Fenlon performance, pounce on a mistake and then put 11 behind the ball and kick everything that moved.

I love the cheap attempt at arrogance! "Punching above our weight"! You would swear you played samba football and were unlucky not to win by 5 goals on your way to the league title with that inane prattle. You had one chance, took it and rode your luck. At one level, fair play - have to admire the smash and grab, but at least be honest enough to admit it!

If thats the way you want to interpret the game - good luck to you. You are wrong, but we expect no less.

Others would say it was a typical Fenlon performance, pounce on a mistake and then put 11 behind the ball and kick everything that moved.

I love the cheap attempt at arrogance! "Punching above our weight"! You would swear you played samba football and were unlucky not to win by 5 goals on your way to the league title with that inane prattle. You had one chance, took it and rode your luck. At one level, fair play - have to admire the smash and grab, but at least be honest enough to admit it!
    Arrogance? Did you just say arrogance? I think you did! :p
    Let's rewind, shall we?
    Dublin Derby on Friday!!

Rovers who are flying and have only conceded one (controversial) goal so far and playing fantastic stuff (even Roddy says so) against a shambles of a B*hs side who havent gotten going yet.

An easy 3 points for the hoops and the joy of watching the seeds of the bozo fans try and remove another manager. :D
    I wasn't going to do it. But you made me. :D

• Advertisement

Arrogance? Did you just say arrogance? I think you did!

Of course I am arrogant - I'm Rovers. Its what we do. Comes with the territory of having won much more than anyone else.

Bohs are renowned for their bitterness, impatience and constant living in our shadow - its what you do. Comes with the territory of having been re-elected to the league more often than anyone else.

Go back to letting banned hooligans back into Dalymount for a grand a pop to keep your club afloat!

KEEP IT FOOTBALL EH FFS.

You were at a different game to me, cas the one I saw Rovers were muck in. Baker was yer best player and he's useless. Bohs deserved their victory without playing well. 11men behind the ball you mad!!

KEEP IT FOOTBALL EH FFS.

You were at a different game to me, cas the one I saw Rovers were muck in. Baker was yer best player and he's useless. Bohs deserved their victory without playing well. 11men behind the ball you mad!!

All the papers disagreed with that analysis the next day...

You need to stay off the tippex thinner.

KEEP IT FOOTBALL EH FFS!
    He can't. It doesn't fit the myth.

He can't. It doesn't fit the myth.

which myth would that be?

Get up aura dah! What chance did Rovers have, apart from Hearys liccle slipup in the last 20 mins? Absolutely none. Nothing clear cut Bohs were poor especially Byrne, yet he had 3 great chances, hitting the woodwork twice. Some cronic defending for the goal, according to this it was Bohs who slightly shaded it. I would agree...

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2008/0404/shamrockrovers_bohemians.html

"Bohs almost took the lead in the tenth minute. Rovers lost possession under pressure and a beautiful right-footed shot from Jason Byrne was curling into the back of the net until Barry Murphy somehow got his fingertips to the ball to help it onto the crossbar and over for a corner."

"The excellent finish took Crowe's tally for the season to three, and it was his third goal in as many games."

"but the lack of a physical presence was making it easy for the Bohs defence to deal with the numerous long, high balls the Hoops sent their opponents' way"

"Byrne could have put the result beyond doubt with six minutes remaining. O'Donnell helped the ball over the top of the Rovers defence to send Byrne clear but the former Cardiff City forward's rasping strike got a touch off Barry Murphy and bounced back out off the inside of the upright."

"Rovers were camped in the Gypsies' box in what proved to be an extremely tense and exciting end to the game. Dessie Baker and Maguire had chances as the game ticked into injury time, but crucial interventions by Owen Heary and Jason McGuinness respectively prevented an equaliser."

"Purcell had the home side's last chance from a free-kick but his effort bounced back off the wall to condemn the Hoops to their first defeat of the campaign."

Get up aura dah! What chance did Rovers have, apart from Hearys liccle slipup in the last 20 mins? Absolutely none. Nothing clear cut

We were all over Bohs for the final 20 and there were 8 or nine half chances. As the article you quoted says.
    Bohs were poor especially Byrne, yet he had 3 great chances, hitting the woodwork twice. Some cronic defending for the goal, according to this it was Bohs who slightly shaded it. I would agree...

I said that the whole time, the only difference between the sides was a mistake. You were the one who said B*hs were the better side.

Contradicting yourself in two posts. Maybe I was right about the solvents

8 or 9 half chances? you call passing the ball in the final third a chance then maybe. a few corners with poor delivery and freekicks that came to nothing.
    Contradicting yourself in two posts. Maybe I was right about the solvents

No need to be smart. Watch the comments. A team who slightly shades a game and had better chances to me means they were the better team. As Im sure it does to alot of other ppl.

I don't think we were rubbish. We had a monopoly on clearcut chances, even if we had few, and at the back Jason and Liam were brilliant and the team showed good character.
    But overall we weren't great in the passing game dept, probably because of our absentee list and because Joxer had to play with the remnants of flu.
    It was a middling performance against a team that, in spite of the pre-match hype, had little in the locker, and that in retrospect we should have put away easily.
    The fact that it was the derby meant that wasn't going to happen.
    A real derby, just like a cup match, can go any way. That's why I won't be making any rash ONYD-esque predictions about the next one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Pats are so frustrating to watch, they really are. I've been to all home games so far this season and i haven't really seen a decent performance yet. Even though friday was the first time we've failed to score, we never ever look like scoring (if that makes sense). O Neill and Quigley don't look penentrative enough. I mean, Derry deserved to win. They passed it around and looked really comfortable on the ball whereas we can't seem to string two or three passes together without loosing it. AAAAGHH!!!
    The season is young yet though!

• Advertisement

Right lassies Bohs won the match 1-0. End of story.;)

Any neutrals want to watch the highlights from Bohs Rovers? Doesnt look like Bohs just shaded it to me. http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/mns/features/bohemianssav.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Galway vs Longford tonight. Shall make the trek. Going to be a cold, miserable evening, and that will be just the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

I'd prefer not to hear another word about the Bohs Rovers game. If Bohs were the better team and you were there watching it, then why bother having an argument.

Wrote a bit of a rant yesterday about the Dundalk v SpFi game and how sh!te Dundalk were but my computer crashed. General theme of it was, take new team for granted, made to look like mugs by new team..

ibh wrote: »
    I'd prefer not to hear another word about the Bohs Rovers game. If Bohs were the better team and you were there watching it, then why bother having an argument.
    Because it's fun when you win, and frankly even funner when the opposition is doing its gloating ahead of the game. ;)
    There's also the tantalising prospect of an Irish football discussion in one week surviving long enough to join up with the following week's fixtures...

Because it's fun when you win, and frankly even funner when the opposition is doing its gloating ahead of the game. ;)
    There's also the tantalising prospect of an Irish football discussion in one week surviving long enough to join up with the following week's fixtures...

I'm inclined to agree with her majesties bohemian here.

Its the biggest game in the country and we are going to talk about it, gloat, wind each other up, gently remind them they are run away loyalists and all that comes with the fixture. Barstoolers and fans of inferior clubs need not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I don't think you can get much more inferior than Bohs and Rovers, can you? So everyone is back in the discussion.

I'm inclined to agree with her majesties bohemian here.

Its the biggest game in the country and we are going to talk about it, gloat, wind each other up, gently remind them they are run away loyalists and all that comes with the fixture. Barstoolers and fans of inferior clubs need not apply.
    Run away from what?

Run away from what?

Always find it hilarious when the anti violence ultras sing that.

• Advertisement

Run away from what?

The trouble your BSC/BSS alliance always try and start.

Like the 50 lads who marched down from Dorset St after the game attacking buses singing how they hate Rovers. Not enough to actually go and watch their team beat them a mile down the road or anything.

First sign of anyone standing up to them, whoosh, they are gone. Send them to Bejing as the Irish 400m relay team.

But like the Derry 4, even if Bohs ban them, if they fork out a grand they are welcome back in Dalymount with a big hug and all is forgiven.

Always find it hilarious when the anti violence ultras sing that.

Beats painting pictures of Teenage Ninja Turtles or whatever special needs art the NBB produced on Friday. It was the highlight of the night for me. Truely awful. And on plastic bags too!!

So long as the BSC are hanging around the corner of the stand like a bad smell, we will continue to point out how crap they are at the whole hooligan thing.

First sign of anyone standing up to them, whoosh, they are gone. Send them to Bejing as the Irish 400m relay team.
    I'm very pleased you've pointed out how crap Bohs people are at 'the hooligan thing'.
    But I'm intrigued as to what proud benchmark you are setting this against. Where are these proper hooligans?
    You seem to want to decry the largely imagined horrors of hooliganism in Irish football, yet also to score points with it.
    Surely you need to make your mind up? I have... if you want an 'our hoolies are better than your hoolies' contest, then I think you'll find that 99.9% of Bohs fans will be happy to let you have that one. Congratulations!

I'm very pleased you've pointed out how crap Bohs people are at 'the hooligan thing'.
    But I'm intrigued as to what proud benchmark you are setting this against. Where are these proper hooligans?
    You seem to want to decry the largely imagined horrors of hooliganism in Irish football, yet also to score points with it.
    Surely you need to make your mind up? I have... if you want an 'our hoolies are better than your hoolies' contest, then I think you'll find that 99.9% of Bohs fans will be happy to let you have that one. Congratulations!

The point is, and well you know it, the absolute lip service BFC pay to dealing with their hooligan problems, which are now by a mile the worst in the country. From allowing the BSC to fly flags, ER on your shirts, appeals for the safe return of the BSC tricolour on the official website and the latest - anyone banned from games can buy their way back into the club. Including the Derry 4.

Our response to the ongoing joke that is Bohs drinking club that happens to have a football and cricket team? To point and laugh at the hundreds of little rodent faced, fred perry and snide Stone Island wearing slumrats that spent 90 mins ripping up security fences and trying to get a reaction from us while totally ignoring the game. If you are going to insist on having a firm, we are going to mock the state of it.

A kid lost an eye and BFC's reaction? Nothing we can do. Well they can do one thing - if they ban people they can stay banned.

The point is, and well you know it, the absolute lip service BFC pay to dealing with their hooligan problems, which are now by a mile the worst in the country. From allowing the BSC to fly flags, ER on your shirts, appeals for the safe return of the BSC tricolour on the official website and the latest - anyone banned from games can buy their way back into the club. Including the Derry 4.

Our response to the ongoing joke that is Bohs drinking club that happens to have a football and cricket team? To point and laugh at the hundreds of little rodent faced, fred perry and snide Stone Island wearing slumrats that spent 90 mins ripping up security fences and trying to get a reaction from us while totally ignoring the game. If you are going to insist on having a firm, we are going to mock the state of it.

A kid lost an eye and BFC's reaction? Nothing we can do. Well they can do one thing - if they ban people they can stay banned.

A mud-slinging exercise which you have rehearsed numerous elsewhere on this MB.

A puerile litany of innuendo, half-truths and selective memory which I'm sure anyone with enough time and motivation could apply to Rovers in spades.

I have no interest in doing that. This is a football thread.

A mud-slinging exercise which you have rehearsed numerous elsewhere on this MB.

A puerile litany of innuendo, half-truths and selective memory which I'm sure anyone with enough time and motivation could apply to Rovers in spades.

I have no interest in doing that. This is a football thread.

Please, feel free to let me know what is 'innuendo' or a 'half truth' there?

Or is the hasty changing of the subject the dawning realisation that Rovers have, by and large, sorted their issues out and the only thing that kept the BSC in line was the Rovers threat - now thats gone they are running amock, and your club is doing more to help then hinder.

• Advertisement

Ok, so what do Rovers do? Turn directors into hooligans or hooligans into directors?

Ok, so what do Rovers do? Turn directors into hooligans or hooligans into directors?
    Hasty change of subject?
    Surely you did that when you decided it was time to bring up hooligan urban myth rather than discuss the outcome in the football (remember?) last Friday.

Hasty change of subject?
    Surely you did that when you decided it was time to bring up hooligan urban myth rather than discuss the outcome in the football (remember?) last Friday.

Again, feel free to let me know which bits are urban myth!

We have discussed the football - B*hs won a scrappy, but full blooded, derby by capitalising on one Rovers mistake.

It was your call to keep a generic Rovers v B*hs thread going, so here it is.

Lads give it a rest for God's sake. No-one whats to listen to your WUMing OhNoYouDidn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭raheny red

Lads give it a rest for God's sake. No-one whats to listen to your WUMing OhNoYouDidn't.

OhYesWeDo

• Advertisement
Advertisement