Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco for Oranmore

Options
  • 03-04-2008 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭

Was talking to an estate agent in Oranmore yesterday who mentioned that Tesco had just had planning permission approved for a new store in Oranmore. Anyone know any more about it - size, location, etc.. ? Hopefully it'll be a decent sized store rather than a Tesco metro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I think this was in 'More News. Location was mentioned in article but, ashamed to say, I can't figure out where it is -- haven't been in the big O for a while now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

Yep they are to be the new anchor tenant for the new development between the castle Rd and the bridge.

The development has 140+ apartments, numerous retail units, Tesco having the largest at 40,000sq feet. New town square, broad walk from the bridge along the river up to the castle (following the design of the prom in Salthill).

Currently doing the archaeological study building work commencing next week I'm told.

Oranmore should become a one way system also but that is well down the line, this development has been around for quite some time with the first piece of property bought back in 2000, took them a while to get all the house at the north end of the village..

If your in the Market for a house Oranmore would be the place some nice developments starting which will add big value to the area... (serious of land purchases along the gurrane rail line has talks of a light rail system station being one of many)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

Terrier wrote: »
    ... has talks of a light rail system station being one of many

And are these "talks of a light rail system" being done by developers/estate agents who are keen to sell property in the area? ;)

I wouldn't hold my breath!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Also heard that either lidl or aldi are anchor tennant for new oranmore dairies development..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

Growth in Oranmore of late is outstanding.

Lets hope the parking/traffic issues are resolved by the time these are all built as its bad enough as it is without people trying to go to these places for shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭tracker-man

Lets hope the parking/traffic issues are resolved by the time these are all built as its bad enough as it is without people trying to go to these places for shopping.

+1 from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

Where exactly is the development going?? Is it near subway? The main Street? Near Carraig Lair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

The big site thats going on behind Subway. You can see it from the main road when you're beside SuperValu

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

Arabica coffee shop & a fish emporium & evergreen will also be in the development.
    Looking forward to shopping there in November. Its meant to be a large tesco, about the same size as the Ballinasloe store.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

Great stuff. Should keep a nice block of shopping traffic out of town, now they dont need to venture past oran

• Advertisement

will it not clog up Oranmore though? That place is a nightmare to drive through if traffic is anways heavy

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭NR04

I know this tesco will bring lots of people out from the city to shop in oranmore, which is great, but this is oranmore's THIRD shopping centre!!! Its not like oranmore doesn't have enough retail space already. Hopefully the new tesco shopping centre wil have some other good/national retailers in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

does anyone know where one can get application form for a job in that tesco? they should be recruiting by now or has it finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭boxercreations

prob not as only coming in november I heard - anyway all vacancies are advertised on www.tesco.ie and click on careers at the bottom of the page.
    good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭fergpie

Recruitmet hasnt begun yet. it'll be advertised in the local papers....connaught/city tribune etc in the next couple of weeks id say. the store is planning on opening mid november i believe...

HEY GUYS , THEY HAVE STARTED RECRUITMENT FOR TESCO GALWAY IN THE MALDRON HOTEL ORANMORE , FOUND OUT LAST NIGHT . THEY SAID TO SEND YOUR CV,S TO RECRUITMENT TESCO ORANMORE CO'MALDRON HOTEL,STATION ROAD ORANMORE.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

This is true. I saw the advert outside the Galway Shopping Centre store. It's supposed to open some time in December.

Tesco are also planning to open an Express across from UHG, in the glass building on the corner. That said, the building still has a large To Let sign in the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭yer man!

What's traffic gonna be like now with this tesco. I know they're building a new road to connect from the bridge to the castle road and plan to introduce one way system to oranmore main street, anyone think this is gonna actually work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

traffig in oranmore is bad for 3 reasons

1 people park up on the side of the road, making it one lane thru the village,
    they should just stop people parking on the side of the road, there is a carpark, people should use it

2 people who live out on the renville road feel it neccesary to drive thru at super value instead of gonig around oranmore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nukinfuts

outwest wrote: »
    traffig in oranmore is bad for 3 reasons

1 people park up on the side of the road, making it one lane thru the village,
    they should just stop people parking on the side of the road, there is a carpark, people should use it

2 people who live out on the renville road feel it neccesary to drive thru at super value instead of gonig around oranmore.

+1! does my head in! and most people seem to think they're driving a bus and have no awareness of the true size of their car and that YES it can fit through that 10 ft space thats infront of you. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

nukinfuts wrote: »
    +1! does my head in! and most people seem to think they're driving a bus and have no awareness of the true size of their car and that YES it can fit through that 10 ft space thats infront of you. :rolleyes:
    theres digging going on in the middle of the town at the moment so every body has to have a look to see ''the hole'' so i just go AROUND on the dualcarriage way to get to the other side.

The new road plans for Oranmore are quite good, that roundabout on the limerick road was designed to divert traffic from going through the village to maree by a new road connecting into the existing maree road bout halfway between renville and oran, this would allow traffic to efficiently go around oranmore rather than through. Then you have the new road from the oranmore bridge to the castle road and also the soon to be implemented one way system in oranmore. Now of course if these were all done at the same time it would work quite well but sadly it won't as there's no money for the maree road redevelopment so ther will be gridlock until that is sorted. some great plans on the galway county council website, can even get plans of tesco and surrounding buildings and infrastructure.
    http://www.galway.ie/en/Services/Planning/DevelopmentPlans/LocalAreaPlans/AdoptedPlans/OranmoreLocalAreaPlan/

When are tesco planning on selling alcohol?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

can't answer your question about alcohol but would encourage any tesco shoppers to check receipts carefully before you leave as I was overcharged, "special deals" didn't come off my total and also charged for phone credit i didn't buy. Just be careful in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

yer man! wrote: »
    When are tesco planning on selling alcohol?

December 5th

Advertisement