Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf 1.4 TSI

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭alexmcred

The 140 and 170 both have a super charger and turbo. So I wonder does that mean you can get a 140 remapped up to 170 fairly easily?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭NiSmO

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

The 122 bhp Golf is fine, that will get a VRT and road tax reduction in July(even if you get it before July you will be able to switch over after July to the lower CO2 tax), it's only the 170 that is affected badly by the VRT reduction. The standard non turbo 80 bhp 1.4 and the 1.4 TSI 140 are going up slightly to 24% VRT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

JHMEG wrote: »
    The VW has the added complexity of having a turbo, which some might be see as a liability, as well as increasing expense.

Most turbo engines are generally as reliable as normally aspirated engines these days, particularly with the advance's in modern engine oil.

I ran a Renault 5 GT Turbo back in the mid nineties, and the turbo eventually gave up at 90'000 miles, not bad for a car that was driven very hard, very often. (Typical turbo life expectancy in the 90's was around 50'000 miles).

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

Mmmm, my girlfriend is buying one of these. We did a test drive in a 80bhp golf 2 weeks ago and decided it needed more poke, salesperson suggested the 122bhp TSI, it arrived into the garage yesterday and we went for a spin last night. Seems like a cracking car, loads of poke, feels like a 1.8 - huge improvement from the 80bhp one. We're going to pick it up tonight all being well. I guess we were just lucky that one was available in the colour we wanted?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭geezer1234

I ordered a 140 bhp tsi two weeks ago and took delivery last week. If you are not fussy about color and optional extras you should be able to get a car pretty quickly - or maybe I was just lucky.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

NiSmO wrote: »

Unlikely. If the engines were capable of these levels of output, with the fuel consumption figures, and co2 ratings they have, VW would be making a whole lot of noise about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I dont hear BMW making a whole lot of noise about the fact that their 318has a 2.0 engine, or the 320 has a 2.2 naturally aspirated.. Common that VW ship their cars with higher bhp, albiet only slightly higher for the naturally aspirated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I've also read several times that the GTI actually produces closer to 220bhp from factory rather than the official 200. I'm somewhat skeptical too though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Ferris

VW have a tradition of downplaying the power of their engines, see link fot the 110tdi, closer to 120hp:

http://www.superchips.co.uk/roadtest/vag110tdi.pdf

And my da's A6 2L Tdi is putting out circa 150hp according to the mechanic in Brady's. He reprogramed it with a factory updated map the last time the car was in. Superchips again found 156hp from a Mk5 Golf GT Tdi:

http://www.superchips.co.uk/roadtest/VWGolfV140tdi.pdf

Have also heard that the 2L GTi is running at 220hp. Not sure why they downrated this tho, possibly to avoid competition with the R32. It could do with the real higher figure tho, to compete with the Astra OPC and Focus ST.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭jonny_b

Seems like there going mad in the UK too about delays on the tsi golfs.

http://motoring.sky.com/news_features/vw-stops-orders-for-120bhp-14-tsi-golf-story.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 N1977

I've an order in for a 1.4 170bhp since mid March. I was recently informed that production should be in the first week of June and that it should be delivered to Ireland not more than 2 weeks after this. As you will see, this does not leave much time for delays, etc.

A question to recent buyers of new VW's. Did you find that the information given to you by the dealer in relation to the production date and delivery date to be fairly accurate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Fatloss08

no

i ordered my 140bhp on 1st feb and told 8-10 weeks and its 13 weeks and still waiting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Fatloss08 wrote: »
    no

i ordered my 140bhp on 1st feb and told 8-10 weeks and its 13 weeks and still waiting

Has the dealer given you a production date? Have they said what the delay is?

• Advertisement

ordered mine in December. Was told week 10 delivery and had it by week 10

alexmcred wrote: »
    ordered mine in December. Was told week 10 delivery and had it by week 10

Which BHP version was that?

I've spoken to my dealer and my car will be here the last week of may. ordered on 31st jan. 122bhp version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

All I can say is guys you won't be disappointed. Great car and lovely engine. Nice sound off it too. I was going to order new but bought 2nd hand for the same price loaded with extras and I'm happy I did. Would not have had the patience.

Which BHP version was that?

sorry a 140bhp one, Loved the car at first but have had a few probs with it wind noise that was fixed after the second visit, then they had to replace a pully on the super charger which stopped the squeal all of one day. Driving home tonight hid the breaks and got a terrible wobble through the pedal. Will be politely asking for a replacement car tomorrow really don't want to see what other problems the car has in store for me.

• Advertisement

sorry a 140bhp one, Loved the car at first but have had a few probs with it wind noise that was fixed after the second visit, then they had to replace a pully on the super charger which stopped the squeal all of one day. Driving home tonight hid the breaks and got a terrible wobble through the pedal. Will be politely asking for a replacement car tomorrow really don't want to see what other problems the car has in store for me.

That's a lot if faults for a new car! What dealer was it (just as a matter of interest - not that it's the dealers fault or anything)? Will they replace it straight away?

That's a lot if faults for a new car! What dealer was it (just as a matter of interest - not that it's the dealers fault or anything)? Will they replace it straight away?

Dealer was will tell you later and am waiting to hear from them this morning in relation to it. Will update as soon as I hear anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Are you sure that wasn't just the ABS kicking in? A pumping sensation through the break pedal? Though you'd normally need to hit the brakes hard to notice this.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Are you sure that wasn't just the ABS kicking in? A pumping sensation through the break pedal? Though you'd normally need to hit the brakes hard to notice this.

No I was breaking normally have never felt a break pedal do this before. I've had to stop hard before and it never did this.

Person from dealership never never bothered to ring me despite me being rung around 12 and being told I would definatly be rung today. Rang the Dealers myself at 16.50 and asked to talk to the person I spoke to this afternoon and they were on another call and took my number to ring me back and guess what no call!!! Must say great customer service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

Person from dealership never never bothered to ring me despite me being rung around 12 and being told I would definatly be rung today. Rang the Dealers myself at 16.50 and asked to talk to the person I spoke to this afternoon and they were on another call and took my number to ring me back and guess what no call!!! Must say great customer service

Are you going to name and shame or just wait to see how you get on ?

Any updates on anyones car coming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Still wonderfully engineered engine who would have thought a couple of years ago, VW would have a turbo supercharged 1.4, when they put it in the polo, it will be stunning.

The squeal in the engine is a manufacturing fault in the engines. The garage contacted Volkswagen who told them they do not have a solution to the problem. :mad: Will be contacting an assessor tomorrow to get things going on handing back the car

The squeal in the engine is a manufacturing fault in the engines.

Was the squeal in the engine very loud. I have a brand new Golf TSI since February and I know you can hear the whine of the supercharger its not really that loud.

• Advertisement

you only hear it at just above 2000 rpm if I hit the accelerator at that point. if I'm above 3000 and hit the accelerator you will hear it each time you hit the accelerator it only lasts a second though. Best way to describe it is a loud beep kind of sound. Volkswagen have told the garage it could get worse or better as the car gets older.

pbarr wrote: »
    Was the squeal in the engine very loud. I have a brand new Golf TSI since February and I know you can hear the whine of the supercharger its not really that loud.

Thats the sound its supposed to make! I think Alex's problem is different and unfortunate. Seems to be an isolated incident as I frequent a few VW forums.

Mine is still on track - ordered at the end of March and production date of the 1st week in June.

I rang the dealer today to ask to change from a cloth to a leather interior - he is to check will it change the production date.

Does anyone have any thoughts / or might know if making a change to the order like that could cause a delay? The only reason I could think of if the leather was out of stock/in short supply or maybe the time it might take to apply compared to cloth i.e. might cause a "knock on" delay on the production line.

su_dios wrote: »
    Thats the sound its supposed to make! I think Alex's problem is different and unfortunate. Seems to be an isolated incident as I frequent a few VW forums.

I had kind of figured thats what it should sound like but wasn't sure. Hope Alex gets things sorted.

My 122bhp tsi has finally arrived 15 weeks after ordering it. Trust me they are well worth the wait!

Ordered: Jan 31st
    Delivered: May 13th

NiSmO wrote: »

Sorry Nismo didn't see your reply. To me it sounds like a belt slipping (like an alternator belt) only for a second before it grips and yes it would be in the 2000-3000rpm and each time you hit the accelerator above 3000 to accelerate the car. Garage have come back to me now saying this is a normal characteristic of the engine.

TBH I don't know anymore my head is wrecked from it with the garage saying they can't do anything:confused:. It does not seem to make it as much in the higher gears 4th 5th and 6th.

Good luck with the car Jonny b:D

jonny_b wrote: »
    My 122bhp tsi has finally arrived 15 weeks after ordering it. Trust me they are well worth the wait!

Ordered: Jan 31st
    Delivered: May 13th

Good stuff Jonny - as a matter of interest who was your dealer?

Good stuff Jonny - as a matter of interest who was your dealer?
    Maxwell Motors Athy Co. Kildare
    Cheapest I found after searching wexford, kilkenny, carlow and naas.
    And great customer service there too.
    As for the TSI badge on the back of the car, it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the 122bhp badge was all silver, That is not true, it is TSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

Finally getting my 122bhp TSI next week. Ordered 31st Jan. Delivered 20th May. Hope its worth the wait!

Sorry Nismo didn't see your reply. To me it sounds like a belt slipping (like an alternator belt) only for a second before it grips and yes it would be in the 2000-3000rpm and each time you hit the accelerator above 3000 to accelerate the car. Garage have come back to me now saying this is a normal characteristic of the engine.

TBH I don't know anymore my head is wrecked from it with the garage saying they can't do anything:confused:. It does not seem to make it as much in the higher gears 4th 5th and 6th.

Good luck with the car Jonny b:D

This is definitely the turbochager and supercharger. This is the sound the engine is supposed to make and its a great sound! Enjoy it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Not familiar with these particular engines, but a small hole in an intercooler pipe can squeal when the boost comes on..
    EDIT: this was for the poster who said it sounded like a fa belt slipping

This is definitely the turbochager and supercharger. This is the sound the engine is supposed to make and its a great sound! Enjoy it :D

am enjoying it a lot (beside the issues) had it around the ring of Kerry last week and boy what fun. Absolutly love the car and the looks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Superchargers make a whine from low revs all the way through the range when given some throttle. An older Mini Cooper S is a good example of this noise.

Turbo is a high pitched whistle at higher revs. Maybe 1500 - 2000rpm+ as it spools up.

Neither should sound like a slipping belt surely?

• Advertisement

Superchargers make a whine from low revs all the way through the range when given some throttle. An older Mini Cooper S is a good example of this noise.

Turbo is a high pitched whistle at higher revs. Maybe 1500 - 2000rpm+ as it spools up.

Neither should sound like a slipping belt surely?

Yeah alex was saying originally it had a whine which he thought sounded like a slipping belt, but which I presumed to just be the natural whine of the engine. I'm not sure what a slipping belt would sound like apart from a bit of a rattle/clunk?

A slipping fan belt will let out a very loud shreik.

did anyone get their cars then after the wait?
    VW now states for the 1.4TSI and 1.6FSI that "Please note these models are only available from stock and are not available to factory order." So if you order a Golf now you will only get a choice of diesel engines.

jonny_b wrote: »
    did anyone get their cars then after the wait?
    VW now states for the 1.4TSI and 1.6FSI that "Please note these models are only available from stock and are not available to factory order." So if you order a Golf now you will only get a choice of diesel engines.

Picking a 1.4TSI 170 BHP up on Tuesday.

Did VW say why u can't order the 1.4TSI engines any more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

If you check the boot sticker it'll tell you all about the car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement