Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video gaming girls

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭

Ah ladies, howryis?

Just thought I'd further something that was posted in the Games forum recently.
    Someone asked for recommendations for games for his girlfriend, which of course sparked off the debates about what games girls enjoy.

Who among you enjoys video games, and what would be your favourite games?

Not trying to find any common thread between the games you enjoy, more a matter of trying to buck the image that there are games "for girls".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

im still a huge fan of my aul sega games... but on the ps2, im still hooked on tony hawk's games, and GTA.. personally, and i've found this with a couple of freinds (though have several obsessive gamer mates), dont like games that require huge amounts of 'commitment' (so to speak). but it really depends so much on the girl in question, as im sure you well know, damo :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Oooh I'm a girl and I like video games!

We still have a SNES at home... I used to love Zelda, still do.
    We have.....ps2, gamecube (my bro traded in the N64), xbox, wii, snes, and I don't think we've the sega anymore.
    Oh lol I just rememebered the amstrad 464 ...burnin' rubber was one of the games we had lol

I used to love sonic, tho I was crap. Streetfighter and others like that were good.
    LOVE Zelda, supermario (all the different ones), Yoshis Island wasn't bad, Secret of Mana.
    007 - though again, I'm not great.
    Star Wars - real one and lego version (legos funny)
    Lord of the Rings....Return of the King I think... that was good.
    There's other games like metal gear solid, GTA and stuff but I can't remember exactly.
    If I think of more I'll come back :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Eh?

Well, I have a pc, its a bit old and jaded at the moment, its waiting for its upgrade.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4GHz Socket AM2
    1MB, 65W
    Corsair Value S. PC5300 DDR2 2048MB
    128Meg x 64, CL5, 667MHz, 240-pin
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA
    16MB 10000RPM
    MSI K9N SLI Platinum,nForce 570 SLI,ATX,
    Socket-AM2,2xGbLAN,DDR2,Firew,2xPCI-Ex16
    and a x1950xtx pro.

So on that, my favourite games would be Quake, Battlefield 2, HL, HL2, and I really enjoyed Quake 4. COD4 was pretty good too. I'm in a Battlefield 2 clan for the last....eh...oh my god, three years?, but we don't play so much anymore, the game sortof declined a bit.

On the Snes, good old mariokart or zelda. I used to be pretty good at Street Fighter, but I lost all my skillz. They may have been imaginary.
    EDIT: Omg, Bomberman! How could I forget. Way back when, I lived in a crappy apartment in Ranelagh. I'd just come home after surgery, and I was unable to work for a month. All I had was a crappy tv, my snes, and Bomberman. All I did was play through over, and over, trying to beat the game in the fastest times.

On the Sega, Need for Speed. Oldschool.

I only had a Playstation one, I don't think I liked any games on that. I played a lot of them, but I can't remember any. Oh, Pandemonium, that was sortof cool. And I played Spyro, that was okay. Meh. The whole thing just sucked. I was a nintendo child, and there was none of that yayness with the playstation.

On the wii, the winner is Super Mario Galaxy. Zelda Twilight Princess was..... okayish.

On the Xbox, Pgr / Forza.

On the Xbox 360, (which I just gave in and bought) it's all about the Forza.

I still have all these consoles under my tv, with the exception of the Sega and the Playstation, which I gave to my brother.
    I'm not into any rts / mmorpgs or anything, I really only like FPS, and for consoles mainly racing games.

But to be honest, like anything else, it'll vary wildly, there'll be lots of girls who don't play, just like there's lots of boys who don't, but no-one ever really thinks to survey them.

Is there a similar post going in BGRH, just for balance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I play a lot of strategy games (but only on the PC - I don't do consoles, except for buzz on the ps2 which I'm amazing at, seriously no one can beat me! and grand theft auto for my violent side)

I love games where you build things and control everything. My OH always says I'm a megolomaniac. So Rollercoaster tycoon, civilisation, sim city etc. I've played the first three warcrafts and really like them but never got in to WoW. I find it all far more relaxing then vegging and watching tv.

At the moment I'm quite in to Zoo Tycoon 2 - my OH bought me all the expansion packs and now I can have some kick ass zoos. It keeps me occupied for hours.

It all started off with the first Theme park - remember that? Then there was theme hospital. That was the best!

I haven't bought any new games recently but I've just bought a new laptop so I'm hoping to buy some when I get to NZ and I'm not saving anymore but tbh, I prefer older games, as sad as it sounds. I'm old school!

We bought the old sega games collection for the PS2 and had friends over to play sonic the hedgehog. It was hilarious, we all remembered exactly how to pass all the levels and were the secret things were hidden even though we hadn't played it in 10 years!

I have a pc cd rom of the sega megadrive sonic collection
    and i have sonic the hedgehog on the phone along with tetris etc
    I play both occasionally thats about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

My daughter has a DS,
    I love to play her super mario bros game,
    I also got my self hotel dusk, scrabble, brain training, and i also like a lot of the puzzle type, tetrisy games..

Sad I know..

I used to be mad into all the resident evil games. Although I had to play them with the lights on...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭daisy123

Back in the day, on the Sega Mega Drive I loved Columns and Streets and Rage, and on the SNES, Super Mario Brothers ann Puzzle Bobble in the arcade.

These days I have a DS and love the Phoenix Wright Series, Animal Crossing, Theme PArk, Brain Age games.

When I had my windows PC I loved the Sims and that type of game!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I love games too

Had a SNES when I was younger - loved Mario Kart, Mario World, Street Fighter 2 turbo, earthworm jim, mario allstars, bomberman

DS now - bomberman, mario kart, brain age 1 & 2, hotel dusk, phoenix wright, big brain academy (great for multiplayer), mario bros, Elite beat agents

PC games - used to play command and conquer, chips challenge hehe god that game kept me busy for hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭aye

need to find a girl i can play street fighter and gta with!!!

thats the dream :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,416 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just finished an essay on the topic :) It was about the Games for Girls DS ads and got some interesting responses (from some boardsies too). General conclusion seemed to be its impossible to pigeon hole female gamers into any category, as pretty much anyone would suspect. Interesting topic, though, hopefully will be able to do more on it in the future as one advertising essay didn't really give me much scope to go into it in detail.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭[WoW]

ha! thats weird im the gf, mt bf was the one who made that thread because i hate all his 360 games! :rolleyes:
    I like supermario bros on the ds its the same as the old one that was out in the gameboy years ago, also tetris but a lot of people find this boring. any of the brain training games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

playing second phoenix wright game on my DS right now. Loved Zelda phantom hour glass for the DS nice follow on from Zelda on the game cube. Got the cube to play SSX3 - love that game. Also big mario party fan, great fun when you've a group - 4 is the best but 6 is good too. Going to get the mario party for the DS later this month. PC wise nothing has topped Monkey island or Grim fandango.

Hardcore Mortal kombat fan back in the day [christ I'm old] MK2 on the mega drive was the **** when it came out. Plus all the old favs mario, sonic, eco the dolphin. Use to love mirco machines but played it again recently and can't recall why I liked it.

ztoical wrote: »
    Use to love mirco machines but played it again recently and can't recall why I liked it.

I used to love Micro Machines too and played it recently and just found it a bit boring. Glad I'm not alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

star-pants wrote: »
    Oooh I'm a girl and I like video games!

We still have a SNES at home... I used to love Zelda, still do.
    We have.....ps2, gamecube (my bro traded in the N64), xbox, wii, snes, and I don't think we've the sega anymore.
    Oh lol I just rememebered the amstrad 464 ...burnin' rubber was one of the games we had lol

I used to love sonic, tho I was crap. Streetfighter and others like that were good.
    LOVE Zelda, supermario (all the different ones), Yoshis Island wasn't bad, Secret of Mana.
    007 - though again, I'm not great.
    Star Wars - real one and lego version (legos funny)
    Lord of the Rings....Return of the King I think... that was good.
    There's other games like metal gear solid, GTA and stuff but I can't remember exactly.
    If I think of more I'll come back :D

Thats some gaming there SP more than some blokes.

I have lots of old snes and mega drive games on my PC :) keeps me entertained, also have lots of arcade games which is good as these dont require a lot of time to play like most games these days.

Just finished an essay on the topic :) It was about the Games for Girls DS ads and got some interesting responses (from some boardsies too). General conclusion seemed to be its impossible to pigeon hole female gamers into any category, as pretty much anyone would suspect. Interesting topic, though, hopefully will be able to do more on it in the future as one advertising essay didn't really give me much scope to go into it in detail.

You finished it? Was dying to know how that went!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

watna wrote: »
    I used to love Micro Machines too and played it recently and just found it a bit boring. Glad I'm not alone!

omg me too! Used to be fun playing four player on the snes though, remember when ye played two people on each joy pad? played it for 5 mins on the ds and got very bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

aye wrote: »
    need to find a girl i can play street fighter and gta with!!!

thats the dream :)

GTA is mostly one player!!! And from experience girl gamers do NOT like to sit back while lads play and say "Watch this" every few minutes to keep them "Happy"

Nice to see ladies into games!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Ive got a mate who'se fairly into her games..
    She used to play City of heroes while breast feeding her son...
    She also has two 360's so her fiance and her can play online in the same match..
    She is Demon at COD..
    All Halos on legendary in some ridiculous time in one sitting..
    She's a better gamer than me :o

GTA is mostly one player!!! And from experience girl gamers do NOT like to sit back while lads play and say "Watch this" every few minutes to keep them "Happy"

I play GTA with my bf all the time. We take it in turns. If you die you hand the controller over. He is better than me though and prefers to do the missions. Playing together is a great laugh.

One day he robbed loads of people and bought me a big mansion in the hills, then robbed me a tank and we went on a spree. It was so romantic! He knows me so well! :D

Ah now, I do like to watch games being played as well, what better opportunity to remind someone they're a noob?

F*ckin' noobs.

• Advertisement

eh san andreas has two player

http://gta.killvoid.com/page.php?id=131

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Its a very ****e version of two player!!! and so awkward. I played it a few times with an ex (biggest gamer I know) and we turned it off after 10 mins out of boredom. Thank god for Tony Hawk.

That's true, I forgot about that. You can do it when you see a symbol of two people. I didn't think it was very good. One player is far better.

I feel bad we're not taking the ps2 to NZ now. Guess we'll have to something better there!

That's true, I forgot about that. You can do it when you see a symbol of two people. I didn't think it was very good. One player is far better.

I feel bad we're not taking the ps2 to NZ now. Guess we'll have to something better there!

sure it's all about running around together and killing people, robbing cars etc.
    what better way to make a relationship solid :D

you'll hav eto get something better than a ps2 for gta 4
    http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

sure it's all about running around together and killing people, robbing cars etc.
    what better way to make a relationship solid :D

you'll hav eto get something better than a ps2 for gta 4
    http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/

I put in my date of birth and it said I'm not allowed to see it :(

I'm 24!

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭pampers1

I'm a girl and I just got a DS. I love it. All I have is brain training but I'm waiting on Neves and 42 Games in 1 to be delivered. I'm a real girly girl so would love any recommendations of any girly games that any of you might have played. Like fashion design games or things like that. I saw a game on the internet for the DS where you have a baby or something like that. I have a baby already so don't need a game to add to the joy lol!!!!

I'm 24!

odd, mine worked, but i'm 25, its for 25 + only :p

odd, mine worked, but i'm 25, its for 25 + only :p

Boo-urns. That has to be lies!

Maybe I just accidently entered the wrong date.

Boo-urns. That has to be lies!

Maybe I just accidently entered the wrong date.

the date is in month/day/year. maybe it didnt make sense if you put the month is as 20 or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I'm 24!

Sorry you have to be 25 :p

Advertisement