Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Daily caffeine 'protects brain'

• 03-04-2008 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7326839.stm
    Coffee may cut the risk of dementia by blocking the damage cholesterol can inflict on the body, research suggests.

The drink has already been linked to a lower risk of Alzheimer's Disease, and a study by a US team for the Journal of Neuroinflammation may explain why.

A vital barrier between the brain and the main blood supply of rabbits fed a fat-rich diet was protected in those given a caffeine supplement.

UK experts said it was the "best evidence yet" of coffee's benefits.

Caffeine is a safe and readily available drug and its ability to stabilise the blood brain barrier means it could have an important part to play in therapies against neurological disorders
    Dr Jonathan Geiger
    University of North Dakota

The "blood brain barrier" is a filter which protects the central nervous system from potentially harmful chemicals carried around in the rest of the bloodstream.

Other studies have shown that high levels of cholesterol in the blood can make this barrier "leaky".

Hurrah a health reason to drink coffee.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Makes a change, hurrah indeed.

No sign of dementia here....

....or here >.>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

ooooo,thats why us science people love coffee :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There are plenty of reasons not to drink coffee too!

A month doesn't go by without a "coffee is good for you" / "coffee is bad for you" story.

Personally I stopped drinking coffee as I didn't like being hooked on it. I miss it though. MMmmm Insomnia coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

The benefits of green tea and regular tea farrr out weigh the benefits of coffee.

Here are just some (so long as you DONT add milk) :-
    1. Higher flavonoid content - antioxidant substances which help your body rebuild and repair
    2. Reduces inflammation diseases(Green tea)
    3. Increases metabolism and showed a 4.5% reduction in waist size in 3 months (Green tea)
    4. Decreases cholesterol, cancer risk, kidney stones etc (black tea)
    5. Decreases blood sugar levels (NB for diabetics) (green tea).

Finally, coffee is great when used to enhance sports performance but needs to be cycled as the body builds tolerance to it and you require more for same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

Transform wrote: »
    The benefits of green tea and regular tea farrr out weigh the benefits of coffee.

Here are just some (so long as you DONT add milk) :-
    1. Higher flavonoid content - antioxidant substances which help your body rebuild and repair
    2. Reduces inflammation diseases(Green tea)
    3. Increases metabolism and showed a 4.5% reduction in waist size in 3 months (Green tea)
    4. Decreases cholesterol, cancer risk, kidney stones etc (black tea)
    5. Decreases blood sugar levels (NB for diabetics) (green tea).

Finally, coffee is great when used to enhance sports performance but needs to be cycled as the body builds tolerance to it and you require more for same effect.
    Some people don't like green tea, i found that if you force yourself to drink it, you kind of adapt to it and its nice then.

• Advertisement

Yes it can be quite bitter on first taste but like most teas or the first time you try anything it can be a little challenging

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    Some people don't like green tea, i found that if you force yourself to drink it, you kind of adapt to it and its nice then.

Clinical studies have show you need to consumed around a pint of green tea a day for three weeks to depress radical formation, as a measure of antioxidant effect

But the down side is that green tea can affect folic acid absorption, which at that dose could be something to be aware if you are a woman of child bearing age.

The antioxidant benefits of green tea is just one of the benefits and would like to see that study as there have been many more in recent years.

The increase in metabolism and weight loss with green tea was done on 3-4cups a day for 3 months

Coffee consumption has been shown to increase chances of miscarrage - 2 or more cups a day

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I think I'm going to print that off and send a memo around to all the people in my office who critcise the number of triple espressos I have every day. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭MrJones

The antioxidant benefits of green tea is just one of the benefits and would like to see that study as there have been many more in recent years.

The increase in metabolism and weight loss with green tea was done on 3-4cups a day for 3 months

Coffee consumption has been shown to increase chances of miscarrage - 2 or more cups a day

To be honest, i think its down to each individual person, drinking to much coffee each day is probably not good for you which is obvious coz your overdosing on caffeine, but a few cups of coffee each day is prob not going to kill you any time soon!!, prob has health benefits like helps you destress.
    As for green tea, i like it and defintely think its good for you, i think though if you manage one cup a day for 3 months you are doing well!!!.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

i think that in conjunction with excerise and there is a small window of time in which you have to take it to gain some fat burning effect

sitting at your deck does not count

Advertisement