Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The use of BIFFO when referring to Brian Cowen

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭

does it annoy anyone else that most print media constantly use BIFFO when referring to Brian Cowen, I can't recall any other politician (future Taoiseach) being referred to in such a derogatory way. There was definitely no Bertie "Jackine" Ahern, being an Offaly man in dublin it annoys me.

..and even in todays Metro (free paper for commuters in Dublin) they explained that BIFFO stood for Big Ignorant F***er From Offaly just incase anyone didn't now.

In most cases the the I of course stands for Intelligent :D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

i agree that a future taoiseach should not be referred to in those terms,but i personally don't mind myself been referred to in that way....Beautiful, Intelligent, Female, from Offaly!!!:):D:):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

If he does a good job no one will care what he looks like or where he comes from. Most of the media hacks are no oil paintings either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭ga2re2t

In these types of situations it's usually best to "fight fire with fire", or maybe I mean '"if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Anyhows, I think Offaly people should just wear t-shirts along the lines of:
    "I"m a BIFFO and proud!"
    "I'm a BIFFO - what the f*ck are you?!"

or simply "BIFFO - Big Intelligent Fellow From Offaly" or for the ladies "Beautiful Intelligent Female from Offaly".

BIFFO is not going to go away anytime soon, so it's probably best to just suck it up and go with the flow. Complaining about it will probably just make others use it more and more!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ElectricVelcro

Bertie
    Is
    Finally
    F***ing
    Off!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Bertie
    Is
    Finally
    F***ing
    Off!!!

OH so so so true :):D:):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Well does look like a BIFFO in fairness, a very intelligent man no doubt but does look like a BIFFO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

Ye should be happy he's putting you lot on the map

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

jimbo78 wrote: »
    Ye should be happy he's putting you lot on the map

spoken like a true dub. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

spoken like a true dub. :)

I resent that.
    I'm not a Dub :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

ga2re2t wrote: »
    This may backfire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

wasn't he asked last year by John Bowman on RTÉ during the election what he
    understood 'BIFFO' to mean and Cowen goes... "Brian in Fianna Fail from Offaly" :p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

that was offaly clever of him

/me gets coat.... leaves

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

Please, that was awfull.

I get called Biffo by everyone in work and suprise suprise I work in dublin. If you call them a dirty car stealing inbread knacker they get all offended without realising they just insulted the heck out of you. I think its funny. I ignore it most of the time and get on with it.

I proud as heck of Brian Cowen as a fellow Offaly man, he is smart enough not to let name calling get to him in any way shape or form.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i have absolutely no problem with being called a biffo..... i wear it as a badge of honour.....
    the majority of people who would call me a biffo wouldnt know what the abreviation actually stands for... whatever it actualy does stand for....

i consider it the same as been called a 'langer'.... it depends on the context, but majority of the time its a soft term of slagging.....

i think we can be proud to have a clear identity.... most other counties dont have any....

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Blackthorn Man

Spot on Sydthebeat, laugh it up. I'm proud to be a BIFFO and it actually pi**es others off when I show this. I'm near the Laois border so they look for every opportunity to slag me and others and when you laugh it up and tell them your proud to be a pure bred BIFFO the slagging just dies immediately. I could throw the BUFFALO one back at them (Big ignorant ****er from around Laois Offaly) but I don't even bother anymore. The Dubs like to fleece me too but that ones dies pretty quick also. So be proud and except it, the other way doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

offaly1 wrote: »
    i agree that a future taoiseach should not be referred to in those terms,but i personally don't mind myself been referred to in that way....Beautiful, Intelligent, Female, from Offaly!!!:):D:):D

Intelligence tends to shine thru in photos u know :D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Spot on Sydthebeat, laugh it up. I'm proud to be a BIFFO and it actually pi**es others off when I show this. I'm near the Laois border so they look for every opportunity to slag me and others and when you laugh it up and tell them your proud to be a pure bred BIFFO the slagging just dies immediately. I could throw the BUFFALO one back at them (Big ignorant ****er from around Laois Offaly) but I don't even bother anymore. The Dubs like to fleece me too but that ones dies pretty quick also. So be proud and except it, the other way doesn't work

yeah, Bman.....

im a black and red supporter myself..... so ive often had to listen to the biffo taunts from port lads, i laugh it off and remind them that its been 93 years since theyve all ireland success....... shuts them right up!!! :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

Loveless wrote: »
    wasn't he asked last year by John Bowman on RTÉ during the election what he
    understood 'BIFFO' to mean and Cowen goes... "Brian in Fianna Fail from Offaly" :p

I thought he said 'Bright Intelligent Fellow From Offaly'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭jezza

Biffo and proud! Best county to be from IMO

Haha, i was in N.Y during the summer last year, arrived on a sunday and went to an irish pub in the Bronx. Some guy heard the accent and asked where I was from in ireland, I reply Offaly and he's like BIFFO. lol, whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Slideshowbob

It is truely shocking that Cowen is called Biffo.

What an insult to other Biffos !! :)

Time to go Brian - please !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭motorman

ga2re2t wrote: »
    In these types of situations it's usually best to "fight fire with fire", or maybe I mean '"if you can't beat 'em, join 'em". Anyhows, I think Offaly people should just wear t-shirts along the lines of:
    "I"m a BIFFO and proud!"

or simply "BIFFO - Big Intelligent Fellow From Offaly" or for the ladies "Beautiful Intelligent Female from Offaly".

BIFFO is not going to go away anytime soon, so it's probably best to just suck it up and go with the flow. Complaining about it will probably just make others use it more and more!

"Im a big ignorent *****er and proud".....Your on your own there chief..

Advertisement