Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nozzles - Schrader V Presta

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭

Just got a new roadbike. This was never an issue for before having always ridden mountain bikes.

Have handpump for emergencies but just thinking if I was out and about and wanted to pump to full pressure after a puncture and managed to find a garage.

Is there some kind of conversion device I can get to pump my presta nozzle wheels with a filling station pump (ie schrader style on cars)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

topper75 wrote: »
    Is there some kind of conversion device I can get to pump my presta nozzle wheels with a filling station pump (ie schrader style on cars)?
    Like say this
    or this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

That looks like the job, (and wow something to do with cycling that is actually cheap! :-)) - many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Those conversion devices work absolutely great; I have them on all my bikes (all Presta.) You need to be a bit careful not to overinflate when using a petrol station pump with a road bike and in my experience the pressure display on Irish-style pumps cannot be trusted so don't rely on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I have seen bicycle tubes being blown apart by garage air hoses twice in the past. Both times it was by kids (well, teenagers) pumping up their own tyres and maybe they just didn't know the risks, but it is worth bearing in mind that a shredded tube (and maybe even a wrecked tyre) is a possibility. Those pumps can give out a lot of air very fast, so I'd expect them to be tricky to use safely.

There are some decent hand pumps out there that will get to full road tyre pressure fairly quickly (and without the need for the forearms of Governor Arnie!). Or for emergencies you can carry one of the disposable cannisters of CO2 specifically for bikes (like this one). Throw "pump" into the search facility on www.bikeradar.com for lots of mini reviews of various pumps - the Zefal HPX tends to get good reviews but there are smaller alternatives too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can apparently also split the rim which is even more serious but I've been pumping up my bikes with them for decades without incident. You do need to be careful and just give it a very short blast each time.

I would get a track pump for home use though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement