Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What happens when you register a new car?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, sorry if this is a really dumb question but how do you actually register a new car? I would like to be driving my new car on July 1st or is that not possible if I want the new VRT rates? Does the garage need to send it off so it gets to the vehicle registration people by the 1st of July and then they send the reg plate to the garage?

Also I want to register it as a Dublin reg since I live in Dublin and I'm not buying it from a Dublin dealer (I've heard this is possible from people who have done this) so would that affect how long it takes to do?

Sorry if it's a stupid question! Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Its been about 5 years since I bought a new car but afaik the dealer should take care of all the necessary documents, he will ask you to sign them. They will contact the DOE in Shannon who will issue you a reg number for the car. I think they give you a copy of the documentation including a pink form which is proof you paid the VRT on the new car, you bring this to the motor tax office so you can pay your motor tax.

Doesn't matter what dealer in any part of the country you buy the new car from, it will still be registered in the county of your residential address.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Thanks for that! Where do you get your reg plate from then?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Don't worry, the dealer will fix on the reg plates before you drive off with the new car.

Your dealer should be able to answer your questions in case things have changed since I last bought new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Dealer will call you a few days before you are due to take delivery to confirm your registration address.

When you turn up the reg plates will be already on the car and you'll be given a form called the RF100 which you then use to tax the car.

It's very simple, but your best resource is the dealer - they should be explaining all this to you as part of supplying the vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Biggest problem I can see for actually picking a car up from a dealer on the 1st July is the amount of people trying to register cars on that date.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I think the dealers use the on-line system for registering cars and it usually comes back very quickly with a reg number. At times in early January the on-line system can either slow down, or crash completley due to demand, so it takes longer than usual to get a reg number back.

By that date I'd say most dealers will have a good few cars in stock and ready to go pending registration. Personally I reckon we'll see a crash for the on-line system on the 1st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yah it's probably gonna be worse than the whole 1st of Jan thing. Gonna be ordering my car in the next week or two so it'll have loads of time to get built and then will just be sitting at the dealer's waiting for my arrival. Will prob get to dealer though very early to try and beat the rush (although everybody will be doing the same I'd say!)

Advertisement