Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meatloaf

• 03-04-2008 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I want to try this, but I'm reticient about buying all the extra stuff I need to make it in case it's rank and I never make it again. Is there anywhere in Cork city or County that I can buy it precooked or premade?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

it's just onions and eggs and ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭mildews

+1, Tastes very similar to home-made Burgers. Check out www.cooks.com and just type in "meatloaf" in the search section for loads of variations posted by American "Moms"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

I disagree. Any recipes I can find online (including that cooks.com site) mentions various ingredients I just don't have and would need to buy specially for this and may not use ever again:
    salt
    powder
    onion powder
    pepper
    ketchup
    beef stock (can use bouillon)
    Balsamic vinegar
    brown sugar
    Dijon mustard
    Worcestershire sauce
    This is not stuff I have in my cupboard, nor is it stuff that you can just buy in small amounts, enough for say 1 portion of meatloaf. I understand it's basically roasted mince, but I'd still like to try it out before I buy a load of stuff I don't necessarily need.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

to be fair i would've thought the ingredients above are pretty standard for any kitchen!!

maybe not onion powder, but surely you could use finely chopped fresh onion instead?? (probably tastier anyway). and they are available in small amounts. surely a couple of 150ml bottles of worcestershire sauce and balsamic vinegar aren't gonna cost a bomb or take up much room?! plus they won't go out of date!

what do you have in your kitchen cupboard???

Beerlao wrote: »
    to be fair i would've thought the ingredients above are pretty standard for any kitchen!!

what do you have in your kitchen cupboard???

Bugger all, to be honest. The bare minimum I need to make my 'specialities' - the meals I make every week; oregano, tinned tomatos, chili powder, rice, curry sauce, noodles, spaghetti. All very humdrum, hence the desire to learn more dishes, but without buying a whole load of stuff that I may only use once and have to throw away in 6 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ohandels

680 g ground beef
    1 egg
    1 onion, chopped
    235 ml milk
    110 g dried bread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste
    25 g brown sugar
    30 ml prepared mustard
    80 ml ketchup

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. In a large bowl, combine the beef, egg, onion, milk and bread OR cracker crumbs. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in a lightly greased 5x9 inch loaf pan, OR form into a loaf and place in a lightly greased 9x13 inch baking dish.
    3. In a separate small bowl, combine the brown sugar, mustard and ketchup. Mix well and pour over the meatloaf.
    4. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 1 hour.
    5. Let the meatloaf sit for approx 10 mins.
    I recommend cooking it in 2 separate tins, as doing it in 1 can take longer to cook, plus its easier serving for a big crowd. It'll serve around 6-8 people.

Some other additions, try adding worcestershire sauce or bbq sauce for flavour. If you can get seasoned breadcrumbs they work alot better.

ohandels wrote: »
    110 g dried bread crumbs
    salt and pepper to taste
    25 g brown sugar
    30 ml prepared mustard
    80 ml ketchup
    And again, I don't have any of these ingredients just sitting around, so it's a case of buying say a 500ml bottle of ketchup just to use 80ml of it. I know I could probably buy cheap own brand versions of everything you put there, but it's still a waste in my mind if I never make meatloaf again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You don't have bread, or salt and pepper in your cupboard? Honestly, go away and do a massive supermarket shop, then come back to us. How can you possibly expect to make something when you don't have half the ingredients?

Bread crumbs - stick some stale bread in the blender
    Salt and pepper - About €1 to buy jars of both, and they never go off
    Brown Sugar - Maybe €1.50 for a packet? Doesn't go off.
    Mustard - ~€2. Doesn't really go off
    Ketchup - ~€2. Doesn't really go off.

You'll use them all again in other things. Honestly, we can't help you if you refuse to buy the ingredients :rolleyes:.

Faith wrote: »
    You'll use them all again in other things. Honestly, we can't help you if you refuse to buy the ingredients :rolleyes:.
    Yes, I refuse to buy the ingredients for something I may not like. That's the whole point of this thread. I won't "use them all again", I've managed to get this far in life without salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard and worcester sauce, I'm pretty sure I could go the rest of the my life without them aswell and buying the specifically for a one off recipe is a waste of time and money in my opinion.

I want to find somewhere in Cork that will sell me pre-made meatloaf so that I can test whether I like it or not. Surely that's not an impossible request.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Given that it's an American dish and very uncommon here, I'd say it almost is an impossible request. Incidentally, asking in the "Cooking & Recipes" forum indicates that you're looking for a recipe and willing to cook it. That's probably why you're not getting an answer to your query.

Why don't you just go to your local cafe/restaurant and swipe a load of sachets of ketchup, mustard, salt, pepper and brown sugar? That way you don't have to pay for it. You do realise, don't you, that buying a premade portion of it would cost more than buying the ingredients?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

corblimey wrote: »
    I want to find somewhere in Cork that will sell me pre-made meatloaf so that I can test whether I like it or not. Surely that's not an impossible request.

It might be - I've never heard of anywhere selling it. It's cheap and easy to make - why don't you live dangerously and try making it? You can eat it hot or cold, in burger buns or with veg and gravy - sure it'll last you a week :D
    Splash out, treat yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

What is meatloaf traditionally served with?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

corblimey wrote: »
    Yes, I refuse to buy the ingredients for something I may not like. That's the whole point of this thread. I won't "use them all again", I've managed to get this far in life without salt, pepper, ketchup, mustard and worcester sauce, I'm pretty sure I could go the rest of the my life without them aswell and buying the specifically for a one off recipe is a waste of time and money in my opinion.

seriously, how tight-arsed are you?!?!

forget about making meatloaf if you're not prepared to buy the ingredients cos they cost too much.

but sure, go ahead and buy it pre-made somewhere, when it's actually gonna cost you more than making it yourself. this thread is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

i have a simpler receipe involving mince, sausages, an onion, 2 cloves of garlic, porridge oats, an egg and some milk

still too many extra purchases? :rolleyes: its a bit plain, but you could add whatever spices/bits you have in your cupboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely this must be troll? How can you cook anything at all without at least salt and pepper :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Guys just a note - despite the fact that most people who post regularly in this forum shop like a nuclear war's coming (come on, how many tins of tomatoes and bags of pasta do you all have in your pantry?) there are people who don't.

Corblimey, I think you need to accept that it's going to be difficult to get meatloaf near where you live - and it may well be a false economy to look at buying a meatloaf instead of buying the ingredients (unless as you suggested first you could buy just a slice, and I can't see that happening either).

Incidentally, when making your staples, you might find that worcestershire sauce really zings up a spaghetti bolognese, tomato ketchup added to next day's spaghetti sauce can make it tastier, and salt and pepper are pretty basic condiments that will improve the flavour of the things you cook.

Beef stock cubes or bouillion can also be useful in making meat-sauce dishes like spaghetti, chili or curry - they can round out the sauce nicely instead of using just water.

You might find it more difficult to use up the rest of the mustard and balsamic vinegar, but embrace the opportunity and try something new? If I were to try making meatloaf, I'd try the best looking recipe I could find to ensure the finished meal was nicely edible instead of scrimping on ingredients only to discover it's bland.

I'd make it similarly to how I make meatballs. I'd use mincemeat, an onion that's been finely chopped and softened in some butter with a clove of garlic, I'd use some of your dried oregano, I'd soak two slices of bread in just enough milk to wet them and I'd throw them in instead of breadcrumbs, I'd use a beaten egg, a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce and probably a teaspoon of smoked paprika (because I love it). I'd buy something like wholegrain guinness lakeshore mustard or somesuch and add a teaspoon of that. I'd also use a liberal seasoning of salt and pepper. I'd probably even take some tomato puree and mix that through the meat mix before putting it into loaf tins. If I wanted to be REALLY mad, I'd add sausage meat - use half as much sausage meat again as mincemeat.

Then I'd go bananas, hard boil some eggs, shell them and layer them in the centre, so put a layer of meat at the bottom of the tin, place three eggs down the middle, pack the rest of the meat mix around and over the top, then glaze it and bake it.

But that's because I like cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

yummmmeeeeeeeeeee meatloaf, it was a main player in my childhood thanks to a mom who spent years stateside. Baked beans and ballymaloe relish go well in it too, it so versatile and utterly scrummy!!

As for the OP, you won't get too far embracing new stuff with that attitude!

live like...love food my friend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

branners69 wrote: »
    What is meatloaf traditionally served with?

I think mashed potatoes and salad, or mashed potatoes and fried onions, is a typical accompaniment. I have also heard of having a creamy mushroom sauce over it.

I'm actually dying to make it now. Sounds yum. (Sans the boiled egg centre.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Here's the one I make;

1 lb round mince
    half a cup of milk
    1 cup of breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
    half a cup of finely chopped onion
    1 tablespoon of Worcestercshire sauce
    1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
    half a cup of grated cheese
    1 teaspoon of salt
    an eighth of a teaspoon of black pepper
    a good pinch of mixed herbs
    1 egg, beaten

Mix it all together gently and put into a well-greased loaf tin. Top with more ketchup if desired and bake at 180C for around one and a quarter hours.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,132 ✭✭✭fitz

Guys just a note - despite the fact that most people who post regularly in this forum shop like a nuclear war's coming (come on, how many tins of tomatoes and bags of pasta do you all have in your pantry?) there are people who don't.

Corblimey, I think you need to accept that it's going to be difficult to get meatloaf near where you live - and it may well be a false economy to look at buying a meatloaf instead of buying the ingredients (unless as you suggested first you could buy just a slice, and I can't see that happening either).

Incidentally, when making your staples, you might find that worcestershire sauce really zings up a spaghetti bolognese, tomato ketchup added to next day's spaghetti sauce can make it tastier, and salt and pepper are pretty basic condiments that will improve the flavour of the things you cook.

Beef stock cubes or bouillion can also be useful in making meat-sauce dishes like spaghetti, chili or curry - they can round out the sauce nicely instead of using just water.

You might find it more difficult to use up the rest of the mustard and balsamic vinegar, but embrace the opportunity and try something new? If I were to try making meatloaf, I'd try the best looking recipe I could find to ensure the finished meal was nicely edible instead of scrimping on ingredients only to discover it's bland.

I'd make it similarly to how I make meatballs. I'd use mincemeat, an onion that's been finely chopped and softened in some butter with a clove of garlic, I'd use some of your dried oregano, I'd soak two slices of bread in just enough milk to wet them and I'd throw them in instead of breadcrumbs, I'd use a beaten egg, a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce and probably a teaspoon of smoked paprika (because I love it). I'd buy something like wholegrain guinness lakeshore mustard or somesuch and add a teaspoon of that. I'd also use a liberal seasoning of salt and pepper. I'd probably even take some tomato puree and mix that through the meat mix before putting it into loaf tins. If I wanted to be REALLY mad, I'd add sausage meat - use half as much sausage meat again as mincemeat.

Then I'd go bananas, hard boil some eggs, shell them and layer them in the centre, so put a layer of meat at the bottom of the tin, place three eggs down the middle, pack the rest of the meat mix around and over the top, then glaze it and bake it.

But that's because I like cooking.

Hey lady, wanna try this tomorrow, what temp you cook it at, and for how long?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I'd make it similarly to how I make meatballs. I'd use mincemeat, an onion that's been finely chopped and softened in some butter with a clove of garlic, I'd use some of your dried oregano, I'd soak two slices of bread in just enough milk to wet them and I'd throw them in instead of breadcrumbs, I'd use a beaten egg, a tablespoon of worcestershire sauce and probably a teaspoon of smoked paprika (because I love it). I'd buy something like wholegrain guinness lakeshore mustard or somesuch and add a teaspoon of that. I'd also use a liberal seasoning of salt and pepper. I'd probably even take some tomato puree and mix that through the meat mix before putting it into loaf tins.

I have two words. Thank You.

Made this last night, I only had about half the amount of mince in freezer than I would have thought a meatloaf needed, but I made it regardless with the same amount of whatever you had up there ^.
    It obviously fell apart because it there was too much egg/milky bread for how much mince I had - and was very flavourful again due to the ratio of mince to spice.
    But OH.MY.LORD was it gorgeous.
    Thank you thank you thank you.
    The smoked paprika is inspired.

Advertisement