Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the inconsistencies thread [spoilers]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

Overheal wrote: »
    and now that they have ZPM power for the Chair, how come they have never re-attempted to remote pilot a jumper? (The Siege, Part 2)

This is true ...

There seem to have been a lot of things mentioned once that seemed to be important but were never mentioned again ...
    Ronon was always much more instinctive than intellectual.

And yet he managed to walk into that lame trap Tyre set ... He used to take an interest in 'tech' things - there were several episodes where he was in the control room watching over Rodney's shoulder while Rodney did his thing (oo-er missus!) and he did say "I got to learn me some science", if he wanted to learn something why did he turn down the offer to learn about the Daedalus' systems? :confused:
    Teyla traded with other worlds and I'm sure someone had learned how to create watches and time pieces. she's also rather intelligent so I'm sure with training she could understand a computer.

Not saying other societies [that Teyla would have traded with] weren't a bit more advanced that rock throwing tent dwellers, but you do have to remember the Wraith don't allow the humans to have any level of technology that might make them an enemy, and it seems [from what we know] that Teyla didn't trade with anyone more advanced than the Athosians, remember she was stunned that the Genii weren't just simple farmers ...

Like I said I paid far too much attention to these things, I'd assume the writers/producers would have paid similarly close [or even closer] attention. Once upon a time I was looking for a job as a writer on TV and was sent the "show bible" for several TV shows with notes for new writers to pay attention to - backstory for characters and episodes with specific information. Didn't they do that on SGA? Not that I noticed too many new names in the writer credits along the way, and a good few of the inconsistencies [that I noticed and commented on elsewhere on the 'net] were in episodes written by long time writer/producers, who really ought to know better!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,638 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Character development inconsistencies like that I try to ignore more than the technical ones. I enjoy myself more. Besides, I like Ronon (think The Hive, Season 2, when getting out of the prison cell: "How many of those knives do you have??" "How many do you need?")

One that just occured to me: cloaking. You cant scan for or see anything cloaked; cant detect powerful energy signatures (like active wormholes); light bends around the craft/city... yet somehow good old fashioned Radio Signals (which are also Transverse) pass in and out of the cloak unfettered.

don ramo wrote: »
    dunno if this has been up before,

i dont understand in the episode when the ORI come through the beachead, theres a fleet of earth, jaffa and ASGUARD ships, and all the ORI ships get away, and do a job on the fleet in the process,
    YET in unending when the deadalaus is upgraded with ASGUARD weapons, they blow up an ORI ship with just 2 shots WTF

It wasnt the Deadalus, it was the Odyssey, another 304-"Deadalus Class" Battlecruiser. By that time, Odyssey was equipped with Asgard Technology, cloaking technology (if I'm not mistaken), and a fully charged Zero Point Module which was one of 3 that Atlantis acquired when the Replicators took over Atlantis.

The 2nd ZPM was sent to the Chair Outpost in Antartica (where it still remains) and the 3rd ZPM remained on Atlantis until it was later depleted when Atlantis used its Star Drive to flee from another Replicator attack.

TRIPLE KILL!

Its this damned sci fi marathon i tell you!

Irresponsible: that Lucius fellow is wearing a personal shield; the same kind mckay got stuck on him to the point where he couldnt even drink a coffee.
    Yet kolya tortures lucius by drowning him in a well. Mind you he doesnt get wet, but isnt there enough clearance around his shield for air to get up to his face from around his waist or something?
    And kolya's men just grab him. why doesnt lucius just batter them like he did with the first group of geni?

Character development inconsistencies like that I try to ignore more than the technical ones. I enjoy myself more. Besides, I like Ronon (think The Hive, Season 2, when getting out of the prison cell: "How many of those knives do you have??" "How many do you need?")

LOL yeah I try to ignore the "little" things, but -to me- when they're ignoring 'canon' it's grates ... I think Ronon's one of the best characters on TV, he had many facets to him, but over Seasons 4 and 5 he's just become the fella who grunts, they even stopped him tying his dreads back!
    One that just occured to me: cloaking. You cant scan for or see anything cloaked; cant detect powerful energy signatures (like active wormholes); light bends around the craft/city... yet somehow good old fashioned Radio Signals (which are also Transverse) pass in and out of the cloak unfettered.

this is true ...

Re Lucius using the personal shield (I've just re-watched Hide & Seek) no one else could use the shield after it fell off Rodney cos it's imprinted on him, but Sheppard managed to wear the one Lucius had been using ... ?
    I think Lucius didn't fight Kolya's men, cos the other Genii had been hired [by him] to come to the village and stage a fight (remember they got mad cos he broke someone's wrist?)

I'm going have to re-watch a few more episodes, I seem to remember a ZedPM getting depleted when Rodney used his "bridge" between dimensions, but they had a fully charged one again a few episodes later ... ?

Which coincides with an inconsistency in VEGAS - the Other Rodney and the Other Sheppard had never met, but when that Other Rodney was on Our Atlantis he spoke about his Sheppard as if they were on the same team...?

• Advertisement

they depleted the ZPM with the rodneys experiment to tap Zero Point energy from other dimensions, but shortly thereafter replicators invaded the city, bringing with them 3 new ZPMs.

By the way, the Nox and the Asgard and a future version of Dr. Frasier's adopted girl have all opened up a stargate without the turbulent spash effect. It signifies that it is possible to generate a more stable wormhole with the right technology.

As for Enemy at the Gate. Lets get it on.

- Super-Dense wraith hull gets blown away by F-302 carried nuke, so hardly a gatebuster or anything. Even if it was, I'd be more convinced if a holled out shell remained of the hive.

- 3 Stargates in orbit/on 1 planet. a first. Gate 1 was the original Earth gate left by the ancients (the 2nd one left by the Gould was destroyed years ago during an Anubis attack) and had its own human-made dialing computer. Gate 2 was a Pegasus gate with a Pegasus DHD and the 3rd was the Atlantis Gate with its own proprietary DHD.

Gate 2 arrives, and suddenly Gate 1 cant be dialed from. Given what we know from Sg-1 (Watergate) this is true: the russian gate with a DHD prevented the SGC gate from dialing out as well.

Gate 3 arrives, and given its the Atlantis Gate, should have taken precedence over both the 1st and 2nd gates. But it doesnt. Gate 2 is used to dial out to the Alpha Site.

- The Hive can detect a cloaked jumper but not a powered down F-302?

- Not a single other piece of military equipment tried to intercept the darts. just F-302s. Not flak cannons. Not sam sites. not F-22 raptors. At Area 51 you think it would be fit to defend itself.

- They left the Chair in a hangar, and not an armored misso silo? Seems a little too important doesnt it?

- The wraith didnt even have their gate active (or need to have it active to do what they were planninng) so why not 'bury' the gate? I dont see why that would allow the SGC to dial out. And if they werent going to use it during the assault why not just leave it suspended in the dart bay or something, so that if anyone tried to step through they would just fall to a horrible death anyway? And why do wraith guards feel the need to stand around like idiots that have never seen a grenade before? A bit much.

- And how come the only gates in 2 galaxies to use an Iris were Atlantis, the SGC, and one of Anubis's strongholds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

overheal\ wrote:
    By the way, the Nox and the Asgard and a future version of Dr. Frasier's adopted girl have all opened up a stargate without the turbulent spash effect. It signifies that it is possible to generate a more stable wormhole with the right technology.

yes they had handheld devices or were adanced races which could control things with there minds

- Super-Dense wraith hull gets blown away by F-302 carried nuke, so hardly a gatebuster or anything. Even if it was, I'd be more convinced if a holled out shell remained of the hive.

as usual shep parked up ina dart bay to cause secondary exploision, theres not much that can blow up a gate,

Gate 2 arrives, and suddenly Gate 1 cant be dialed from. Given what we know from Sg-1 (Watergate) this is true: the russian gate with a DHD prevented the SGC gate from dialing out as well.

it goes on which gate was dialled first, that gate takes over from the rest,
    Gate 3 arrives, and given its the Atlantis Gate, should have taken precedence over both the 1st and 2nd gates. But it doesnt. Gate 2 is used to dial out to the Alpha Site.

same
    - The Hive can detect a cloaked jumper but not a powered down F-302?

probably thought it was just one of the few thousand satelites orbiting earth, a 302 would be smaller than most satelites
    - Not a single other piece of military equipment tried to intercept the darts. just F-302s. Not flak cannons. Not sam sites. not F-22 raptors. At Area 51 you think it would be fit to defend itself.

deffinately, thought it was a bit stupid
    - They left the Chair in a hangar, and not an armored misso silo? Seems a little too important doesnt it?

you think theyd have it at the SGC, and also youd think by now they could use site to site transport without the need of a ship in orbit
    - The wraith didnt even have their gate active (or need to have it active to do what they were planninng) so why not 'bury' the gate? I dont see why that would allow the SGC to dial out. And if they werent going to use it during the assault why not just leave it suspended in the dart bay or something, so that if anyone tried to step through they would just fall to a horrible death anyway? And why do wraith guards feel the need to stand around like idiots that have never seen a grenade before? A bit much.

as the stupidity of the wraith soldiers, where would the show be if they even had 2 brain cells
    - And how come the only gates in 2 galaxies to use an Iris were Atlantis, the SGC, and one of Anubis's strongholds?

well i would have assumed all the system lords would use them, if there was a gate on there homeworld, but SG-1 never visited apohisis gaff, and more than likely he would live on a planet with no gate, as it would seem safer, and some like anubus were so strong they didnt see the need for it on all planets

it goes on which gate was dialled first, that gate takes over from the rest,
    If that were true (and its not) the SGC gate would have priority for trying to dial the Alpha site. The wraith Gate didnt try to dial squat. But no, the wraith gate comes in so the SGC cant dial out. So when Atlantis came around, the wraith gate should have been disabled then also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

If that were true (and its not) the SGC gate would have priority for trying to dial the Alpha site. The wraith Gate didnt try to dial squat. But no, the wraith gate comes in so the SGC cant dial out. So when Atlantis came around, the wraith gate should have been disabled then also.
    suppose it should ahve been explained in more detail by TPTB

• Advertisement

don ramo wrote: »
    suppose it should ahve been explained in more detail by TPTB

and how! Far too many discrepancies/inconsistencies in Seasons 4 and 5 ... Things that were mentioned in Seasons 1 - 3 could have been looked at more closely and explained better/in more detail

I don't even want to watch Enemy At The Gates tomorrow night, and I very probably won't. The trailer looks terrible and the summary I accidentally read on Wiki makes it sound like a nightmare someone can't wake up from ...
    (and the above posts aren't doing anything to assuage me that it's not going to be that bad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I don't even want to watch Enemy At The Gates tomorrow night, and I very probably won't. The trailer looks terrible and the summary I accidentally read on Wiki makes it sound like a nightmare someone can't wake up from ...
    (and the above posts aren't doing anything to assuage me that it's not going to be that bad)
    Do watch it. I can't guarantee that you won't be disappointed, but you will be impressed for the hour itself at least. They manage to squeeze a lot of action into the episode and for that alone it's highly praisable.
    As an episode it's good, but no so good as a series finale. Ah well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Didnt Rodney say he had to reconfigure the DHD to allow a dialout? Maybe it has a "Set As Primary Gate" option in there somewhere :p

Mark Partition as Active :rolleyes:

He said a Peg gate takes over a Milky gate, but still doesnt cover for the inconsistency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

How about wormholes going around corners or trained military personel standing directly infront of the gate when a team is comming in hot. even a boy scout should know that ya don't stand in the line of fire.

Do watch it. I can't guarantee that you won't be disappointed, but you will be impressed for the hour itself at least. They manage to squeeze a lot of action into the episode and for that alone it's highly praisable.
    As an episode it's good, but no so good as a series finale. Ah well...

I did watch it, more because I have it on my Sky EPG than anything else, and you're right, I was impressed, they threw everything but the kitchen sink in there! Loads of cameos from people, and a tribute to Hammond of Texas.

You are right, it wasn't much of a "last ever episode" tho', and made me fell sad that the previous 39 episodes hadn't been up to this sort of standard.

I'd have thought Lorne would have been a better choice to fly Atlantis ... and why couldn't Carson 'multi-task' (fly the city and fire drones)..

How'd they explain away the fireball people were reporting seeing?

Why did Woosley say "welcome to Earth" to Ronon, that's the 4th time he's bleedin' been here! (he was a pall bearer on Carson's coffin, he came to Sheppard's dad's funeral, he was there when Jeannie Miller was kidnapped, and when he and Teal'c followed the Wraith through from Midway)

How did the Wraith manage to revive Ronon? He wasn't fed on, so how was a Wraith able to bring him back to life? (I've never bought into that they suck your lifeforce idea, it's stupid ... )

Ah well ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

... and why couldn't Carson 'multi-task' (fly the city and fire drones)..
    Think he said they only had enough power to either fly the city or fire drones but not both.

somuj wrote: »
    How about wormholes going around corners

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

How did the Wraith manage to revive Ronon? He wasn't fed on, so how was a Wraith able to bring him back to life? (I've never bought into that they suck your lifeforce idea, it's stupid ... )

Ah well ...
    In previous episodes they said that Wraith could heal humans if they wished - they just normally don't.

JohnK wrote: »
    Think he said they only had enough power to either fly the city or fire drones but not both.

Didn't hear him say that first time around - I listened more closely on the repeat! :D

• Advertisement

In previous episodes they said that Wraith could heal humans if they wished - they just normally don't.

I could've sworn that was only to revive someone they'd fed on ... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ZondaChai

SG1 killed dozens of those kull warriors, from what we saw their armour was fullproof against normal guns, zats, staff weapons and even big explosions. Why didn't SG1 wear it everywhere they went, they could have at least tried to reverse engineer the super armour, it would have made things alot easier

Another thing about the kull warriors, they had machine gun staff weapons. If the goa'uld can make machine gun staff weapons, why doesn't every jaffa have one. It's the same as sending all the SG teams out with just pistols.

And this has probably been menctioned already, but how come the event horizon kawoosh doesn't destroy the iris every time theres an incoming wormhole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

ZondaChai wrote: »
    SG1 killed dozens of those kull warriors, from what we saw their armour was fullproof against normal guns, zats, staff weapons and even big explosions. Why didn't SG1 wear it everywhere they went, they could have at least tried to reverse engineer the super armour, it would have made things alot easier

Another thing about the kull warriors, they had machine gun staff weapons. If the goa'uld can make machine gun staff weapons, why doesn't every jaffa have one. It's the same as sending all the SG teams out with just pistols.

And this has probably been menctioned already, but how come the event horizon kawoosh doesn't destroy the iris every time theres an incoming wormhole
    Lemme give 2 of those a bash.

The machine gun staff weapons - the staff weapon is a weapon of fear and not a weapon for general warfare. The majority of the people the Gould ruled was through fear and very few shots would need to be fired in succession.

As for the iris .. I THINK that the explanation is that the iris is so close to the SG that it doesn't let the kawoosh form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 ZondaChai

Random wrote: »
    the staff weapon is a weapon of fear and not a weapon for general warfare.

Personally, I would be alot more afraid of a machine gun staff weapon than I would for just a normal staff weapon

ZondaChai wrote: »
    Personally, I would be alot more afraid of a machine gun staff weapon than I would for just a normal staff weapon
    Yes but you live in a world of atomic bombs, cruise missles, aircraft carriers and landmines. The people the Gould are ruling generally haven't more than primative weapons.

ust popppedd n2 my drunken brain while drunk and watching the giants aliesn episodees. ur out of pahase and cant touch anything. same as sam and the other fellow(cant member cause drunkO) right they cant touchh anythinng, how do they breath. molecuules of air wud bbe out of phase to them.:D

ust popppedd n2 my drunken brain while drunk and watching the giants aliesn episodees. ur out of pahase and cant touch anything. same as sam and the other fellow(cant member cause drunkO) right they cant touchh anythinng, how do they breath. molecuules of air wud bbe out of phase to them.:D
    ANd why don't they fall through the floor. You really can't explain these things :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Random wrote: »
    ANd why don't they fall through the floor. You really can't explain these things :(
    I loved when they ripped the piss out of that in 200.

:confused:

Ya know when ya actually see inside the wormhole and it turns left and right and up and down, that don't make alot of sense to me. It seems to elongate the journey. Me tinks a wormhole is a shortcut thru another dimension between two points in spacetime and shud be in a straight line like two funnels connecting on the narrow end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Ya know when ya actually see inside the wormhole and it turns left and right and up and down, that don't make alot of sense to me. It seems to elongate the journey. Me tinks a wormhole is a shortcut thru another dimension between two points in spacetime and shud be in a straight line like two funnels connecting on the narrow end.
    You remember that time they went through a sun, and it was bad. I guess that's why they go up, down, left, right.

Advertisement