Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Achill Island

• 03-04-2008 1:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am looking into organising a trip to Achill Island on the June Bank Holiday. Around 6-8 guys. Would be interested in any advice/recommendations on accommodation, nightlife, travel etc.

Lots of information on the web about this but looking for some personal experiences.

tia

Jumpa

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Best place i could recommend to you (if you're into hostels) is the Valley House. Got its own bar, lovely grounds, music almost every night ..session type. They have a web site.. www.valley-house.com .....you can see for yourself if it fits what you're after. Great 3 pour Guinness! (of course it wont be all about the booze though..*cough*)

Keel is the place where most of tourists make for though. Lots of pubs, most popular, The Minaun, The Annex, The pub (dooagh). If you want to stay in Keel the Achill head is a hotel (with one of the 2 night clubs on the island) is pretty central, or you can pick Achill Cliff house for Accommodation as it has very nice food. There are a few places i could tell you to avoid like the plague :eek:, better pm me for those though if you like.

There is the Achill tourism web site as well, quick google should bring it up for comprehensive list of places.

I think once you see the VH web site ...you will be happy enough with that though, be warned though as it's a bank hol, they are probably booked up already...but it's worth a shot.

Whit BH can be mental down here, so book soon is my best advice. If you need a night club, stay in Keel..taxis are difficult to get on Sat night, especially a BH weekend. Also if youre eating out book youre table, sometimes people leave going out till last minute and end up waiting over an hour or not getting fed at all. With the amount of people that descend on the place its difficult to cope with at times.

Anything else, feel free to pm me.

And no, i don't work there ;)

Katrina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Katrina,

Thanks for all the info!

The Valley House was one accommodation that stuck out alright and I reckon thats where will end up staying, availability permitting.

Theres a nightclub?!

How busy will it be on a BH?

Ive been told about a surfers festival that weekend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

No problem.

The Achill Head night club will be mental, for want of a better word. Afaik, the other night club closes on BH weekend Sat nights (too disruptive for guests) i could be wrong, but it's the other end of the island. Think of sardines in a can....roudy sardines :D.Great auld craic all the same, all ages there looking to pull.

No way in hell you will leave the Valley on Sat night with a seiss going on, trust me on that...you will probably be going to bed as i'm going to work!

As for the surfers festival, ive not heard of it tbh, but there's loads of boards for rent on the beach in Keel, depending on wind direction the surf is excellent on many different beaches. Lol, just down from my house you get the lads out on a Sat morning....kit off...quite a plesant view some mornings :eek:, for shame!

If any of the group play music, tell them to bring their instruments with them. Really good fun.

If any one's into fishing, the lake on the grounds of the Valley has trout. Had some lovely Mackrel dropped off at my house at 8am this morning...cant begin to tell you how good it is to get really freah fish from out side your door.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Hi,

I am looking into organising a trip to Achill Island on the June Bank Holiday. Around 6-8 guys. Would be interested in any advice/recommendations on accommodation, nightlife, travel etc.

Lots of information on the web about this but looking for some personal experiences.

tia

Jumpa
    the other nightclub is one i frequent often, its not usually closed on a bank holiday weekend. its not technically a niteclub more of a disco in the function room. the function room does gets booked out for weddings which means no niteclub.

the achill head is the place to be in the summer trust spent the whole of last summer in it. well most weekends.its a fickle place could be packed one night empty the next but june bank holiday is good craic, may even be around myself that weekend.

some pubs further up worth mentioning are ted lavelles and lynotts which is a tiny pub with a bar in the corner and about 4 tables in it. its a good drive from the valley house but worth a visit if your passing it. pm me for any more details on the place.
    bank holiday weekend are good craic and if you gety a sunny weekend its even busier.

seen des bishop in a shop in achill last summer. think it was a bank holiday/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Thoughts on the Achill Sound Hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Thoughts on the Achill Sound Hotel?

stay away mate the place is family run and looks up at about 2pm and its not a lads weekend mad spot.

ostain oilean acla is a different place just up the road.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

grab a tolberone house by keel, cant remember the town name but its a walk from keel beach and go to the club just there in the hotel, club samba last time i was there, went a few summers in a row,amazingplace, great fun

Advertisement