Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G Wireless Internet

Options
  • 03-04-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, looking for some advice, if i get a 3g card from vodafone and pay my €30 a month, can i use this stick on my laptop when on the move and then stick it in the desktop when at home? are there any better alternatives to Vodafone out there for this service, i.e better speed or price? thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Hey guys, looking for some advice, if i get a 3g card from vodafone and pay my €30 a month, can i use this stick on my laptop when on the move and then stick it in the desktop when at home? are there any better alternatives to Vodafone out there for this service, i.e better speed or price? thanks! :)

The answer to your first question is yes (provided you have coverage of course). The answer to your second question is avoid 3 and there seems to be good reports of o2 and Voda on here so you pays your money and takes a chance I guess. I have been using Vodafone for the past two weeks in Dublin and Louth and for basic surfing email and so on its fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭biologikal

You can trial the O2 mobile BB for 30 days, and the Vodaphone for 2 weeks (I think), so if you're not happy with it after you test it out, bring them back for your money back. They work with anything with a USB port, so desktop or laptop should be fine. I think Vodaphone also do a PCMCIA-type card for a laptop (not sure it works with a desktop though).

I have O2 myself, and it's fine for general browsing, software updates, e-mail, YouTube-type stuff, and I've seen 100MB files come down in 15-25 minutes from places like rapidshare. I don't know what its like for gaming, torrents or Skype. I'm happy with it, and think it's great value for what it is.

Seems like the Three one is to be avoided though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Giants08

Does anybody know what the performance of the Vodafone 3g is like when streaming a live match?

Advertisement