Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Static IP address

Options
  • 03-04-2008 2:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭

Basically I cant find my static IP address. I can port forward, I could do it before because all I had to do was click on a shortcut and I was there. But since I got my computer restored all my shortcuts are gone and I cant do it anymore.

I tried the tutorial on portforward.com but once I "find" my static IP address it wont let me connect.

Please help me!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Gotta go to your Network Connections page.

Select your adapter; the wireless if your using it, otherwise the LAN connection.

Right click -> Properties.

Got to IP Settings.

Now you gotta set up your static IP. Easiest thing to do is make a note of your DHCP settings and work from there;

say your auto assigned IP is 192.168.0.2, make the static 192.168.0.121

subnet: 255.255.255.0

use the same default gateway

use the same DNS servers.

Then add the static address in your router for portforwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

ipconfig /all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭ImJohn

kaimera wrote: »
    Gotta go to your Network Connections page.

Select your adapter; the wireless if your using it, otherwise the LAN connection.

Right click -> Properties.

Got to IP Settings.

Now you gotta set up your static IP. Easiest thing to do is make a note of your DHCP settings and work from there;

say your auto assigned IP is 192.168.0.2, make the static 192.168.0.121

subnet: 255.255.255.0

use the same default gateway

use the same DNS servers.

Then add the static address in your router for portforwarding.

Ok thanks, I'll try that now. (never did it that way)
    Sherifu wrote: »
    ipconfig /all
    Yes ,I'll do this too

Thanks for the quick replies, hopefully itll work.

Woops. You said find. My bad, that was how to set up a static IP.

As sherifu said, ipconfig /all will give it to ya

I did what ye said and when I get the static Ip address and it keeps saying "problem loading page".

Some more information that might help:

I was with eircom but I changed to BT. I use Netopia 3347WF router. Should I tell ye what static Ip address I keep getting?

• Advertisement

ImJohn wrote: »
    I did what ye said and when I get the static Ip address and it keeps saying "problem loading page".

Some more information that might help:

I was with eircom but I changed to BT. I use Netopia 3347WF router. Should I tell ye what static Ip address I keep getting?
    You set the static IP on your pc/laptop and when you open a browser it sez "problem loading page" ?

One of your figures in the IP settings are wrong more than likely.

What do you mean by static IP you keep getting?

Are you looking for the ip to set up the router?

I get the static Ip address by going to portforward.com and entering my IP address + default gateway.

This is what I do:

I go to run > command > ipconfig /all > copy down the information there > control panel > network and internet connections > network connections > local are connection > right click > properties > internet protocol > click the box use the following IP address > type in the information given from ipconfig /all > go to portforward.com and enter in the information > start up firefox > type in the information given from internet protocol into portforward.com > wont work :o

Sorry if its messy.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Are you looking for the ip to set up the router?

Im looking for the static address so that i can portforward :)

When you select the radio button to use the following IP Settings, the IP settings you put in is your static IP address.

It wont change unless you change it, hence static. Otherwise everytime you boot up or connect to the LAN your IP can change.

No need to go back to pf.com to do it. Once you type in the ip settings thats your static IP set up

• Advertisement

Im looking for the static address so that i can portforward :)
    Ok, then i'm not sure what you're trying to do.

I'm trying to open my ports for x-box live through portforward.com.

(http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netopia/3347NWG/Xbox_Live_360.htm)

See at start it says you need to find your static Ip address. Thats what I'm trying to do.

ok, well now you should have a static IP.

you need to access your router via a web browser. Being a BT line, 192.168.1.1 should do it.

The netopia guide on pf.com will help you with the model you have; I'm not sure if the UI differs from each netopia model.

For the ip you set up you'll need to allow each of these ports.
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074

And set your firewall to LOW on the router.

I get the static Ip address by going to portforward.com and entering my IP address + default gateway.

This is what I do:

I go to run > command > ipconfig /all > copy down the information there > control panel > network and internet connections > network connections > local are connection > right click > properties > internet protocol > click the box use the following IP address > type in the information given from ipconfig /all > go to portforward.com and enter in the information > start up firefox > type in the information given from internet protocol into portforward.com > wont work :o

Sorry if its messy.
    Forget about this, it makes no sense. Follow the advice above.

kaimera wrote: »
    ok, well now you should have a static IP.

you need to access your router via a web browser. Being a BT line, 192.168.1.1 should do it. (Thats where its going wrong, whenever I type in the address the netopia menu never comes up :()

The netopia guide on pf.com will help you with the model you have; I'm not sure if the UI differs from each netopia model.

For the ip you set up you'll need to allow each of these ports.
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074

And set your firewall to LOW on the router.
    -

What's the address of the Default Gateway from ipconfig /all?

Finally!! I got it, I typed into google "can't get the eircom netopia menu up" and was lead to boards.ie lol.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-293038.html

Typed into my web browser http://192.168.1.254/ and it worked.

I'll do this now " For the ip you set up you'll need to allow each of these ports.
    • UDP 88
    • UDP 3074
    • TCP 3074

And set your firewall to LOW on the router."

Thanks guys for the quick help!! :D

Ah sorry, I'm with BT and have a voyager router hence the 192.168.1.1, couldn't think of the netopia address.

Advertisement