Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom

Options
  • 03-04-2008 2:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

I got so annoyed today by a phone call to a customer service line that I had to go for a walk so that i wouldnt take the head off someone in the office with my anger.

So I bought a new house dublin, while keeping my existing house in meath.

I work from home at least once a week , so broadband is essential .

The people in the house in Dublin were with UTV for their phone line . I called eircom they wont move the line without owners consent , so I call prev owner get his details and call UTV . UTV takes ONE MONTH to cancel the line .

So one month no working from home . fair enough . I wait . Even though I am still paying for a phone line in meath which I am not using , cannot cancel because there is broadband on it , cant move the broadband because i have no phone line in dublin....

Month is up I call eircom , I explain that I am a new customer and wish to set up a line , there is an existing line there which was being used by the previous householder . In the most rude and ignorant tone i get this response " there was no existing line there sir" , i tell him that there was , he was with UTV , to which i get " there was no existing line there sir" . Ok fair enough there may be some reason why this would not show up , but I get no explanation , I try to explain to him the problem and he is not interested and tells me I will have to pay 120 euro for a new line again in a really sarcastic and rude tone .

Now I used to work in support for Dell , and had to deal with all manner of people day in and day out , in fact for my last three months there I was dealing with nothing but complaints . I NEVER SPOKE TO A CUSTOMER LIKE THAT .

And heres the kicker , it will take another month to get the line installed , they are going to charge me 120 euro ( even though there is a line there ) and there is nothing i can do about it , they know this and I know this .

In the meantime I am paying line rental for a phone and broadband i am not using . ( the broadband is supplied by my employer )

Nightmare

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if the line is already there and working you shouldn't have to pay the €121.93. call again and see if you get someone better. in fact, if by any chance the line is still active, call them on it and see if they still insist its not there

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If you plug a phone into the line in question in the house do you get a tone?
    Its likely you do since it was previously activated, if you do ring Eircom from this line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 deathcrow

good idea , I have to try this when i get home this evening . When I use the phone at the moment it says "this is a message from eircom , the number you are calling is not in service"

I am actually not going to call them today , I am afraid what i might say if I get another muppet on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Don't bother ringing 1901 because they can never help. I just went straight to 1800 200 481 - the complaints dept. You'll get the issue resolved there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't call the line, simply connect a phone and see if you get a dial tone or for that matter any recording eircom message, if you do then its connected to the eircom network and shouldn#'t cost 120e to be re-activated,.

You should be able to dial 1901 from this line

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

deathcrow wrote: »
    good idea , I have to try this when i get home this evening . When I use the phone at the moment it says "this is a message from eircom , the number you are calling is not in service"

I am actually not going to call them today , I am afraid what i might say if I get another muppet on the phone.

I also had an eircom 'incident'. ringing 1901 is a waste of time, they don't know their arses from their elbows. Mine was to do with a line connection too and when I insisted that I speak to someone else in 'their joke of a company, who wasn't a clown' :D I was given the number of engineering who sorted the problem in a matter of seconds (had previously spent over 2 hrs on the 1901 number talking to various muppets over the course of about 4 or 5 calls)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Yup, as already mentioned, dial 1901 from the line in question. Twice I've been accused of being mistaken, and once I was told that lying was going to help resolve the matter (when I mention that I'm calling them on the line that does not exist, and that it appears fine to me).

eircom have been at this completely underhanded tactic of trying to push for a new line isntallation (as against the 25/30 quid activation when "works" are already in place).

So establish you have a soft-dial line by connecting a phone to it and dialing 1909. If yo do, ring them from it, and explain that you are not prepared to pay the full 130 installation fee, when you should only be paying the smaller re-activation fee. Say it with a bit of confidence about you, so that the CSR will know not to bother wasting time pushing for the full price product.

It's just one of the many ways eircom push the boundaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

From personal experience ,they are overstaffed and have a bad attitude.

But ,there are a few in there that want to work and if you're lucky you'll get through to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

cgarvey wrote: »
    Twice I've been accused of being mistaken, and once I was told that lying was going to help resolve the matter (when I mention that I'm calling them on the line that does not exist, and that it appears fine to me).

I was sent a bill before the line had been installed. When I rang to organise a credit I was told the calls had been made from my line so I had to pay. After much too-ing and fro-ing (Me:'how can I have made calls with no phone line' Eircom:'well our records show it was fitted last week, so you have to pay') I asked was there anyone with half a brain in the company I could speak to. I was put through to engineering (or line engineering or something like that). First thing the guy (who was polite and in no way a clown like the people I spoke to in customer service) I spoke to said was 'how can they bill you for calls when you're line hasn't been fitted yet'. AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

If you have a dial tone dial 199000 and this will read back the phone number to you.
    Give eircom that phone number and they have nothing to dispute and should have no problem locating your line.
    I moved into a new house recently and by doing this I had a working phoneline in under 2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

In theory Redshift, in theory. In practice numbers get lost very easily when it suits them. Any excuse from active repair case on the line to partial unbundling to CPS to number ported will all be a defense when eircom try the full "works" install fee. It should be the way you describe (well it should be under 10 minutes, but that's for another day), but you'll have to be firm to get there I've found.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

cgarvey wrote: »
    Yup, as already mentioned, dial 1909 from the line in question.

1909 is o2 customer care so they probably can't help :D

its 1901

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

why don't you just get the line with UTV? - their customer servcie is better, and their price is cheaper!!

All you had to do was tell them that you were taking over the line from xx date and that should have been it!

Advertisement