Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favorite weapon?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

Whats your favorite weapon that was USED in WWII?

Mine would have to be the M1 Garand!

Garand.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Lee Enfield rifle

united-states-enacts-lend-lease-bill-4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

For patriotic reasons, my favourite would be the Lightning (Blyskawica), which was mass produced by polish resistance, based on Sten design. It was supposed to be a great sub machine gun:

Blyskawica.jpg

Garand was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Aye, I'll take the Lee Enfield too, it had a well founded reputation before WW2and had/still has one to this day!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=55400031&postcount=42

I prefer the No1 MkIII over any other number or mark, far more history, better construction and has lasted longer than the No4. The No5 looked pretty good though, a sexy Enfield!

The Garand came and went, the LE is around to stay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

The Garand came and went, the LE is around to stay! :D

The M14 was made as a upgrade to M1 really to fix some of the issues and the M14/M21 is being used in Iraq so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

garand for that *ping*
    Colt M1911
    mg42 :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Saabdub

Panzerfaust. Modern style fire and discard weapon that was quick and cheap to manufacture and made every available German schoolboy an anti-tank gunner:D

Saabdub

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Springfield M1903

m1903a4.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

potato masher ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

And how could i forget P08 (Luger)

DWM_4_inch_Navy_Luger_859.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

CR-43721-lg.jpg

It was just cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Dinter

STG 44 Assault rifle. Definitely would have wanted one of these. Forebear of the most popular gun in the world.

300px-Sturmgewehr_44.jpg

Gewehr 41. Not as good as the Garand but looked much cooler. Important in a weapon! ;)

300px-Gewehr41w.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭motherfunker

The Ferdinand.
    Wouldent really want to have been in one for long, but wouldent like to have been in a tank in front of them either.

3563.jpg

Otherwise it would have to be the MG42 - Beautiful
    42SAgp.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Suomi, a handful of these, some skiis and flashlights, good times were had by all.
    suomi_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

In my opinion the best generally used rifle would be the M1 Garand.

My favourite however would be the Thompson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭uptherebels

m1918 trench knife made during ww1, some re-issued during ww2
    M18knife.jpg
    and the german model 24 grenade (potato masher)
    pmashergrenade_Full.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Kar98k.jpg

KAR98K

Have to give a shout out for the good old MP40, where would all the old ww2 movies be without the Schmeiser.

mp401.jpg

For some reason my original pic of the Ferdinand wont stay up, here is another. Also known as the Elephant.
    Elephant-2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

g43forwebpage.jpg

mp44_shop_wwii.jpg

German small arms for the win. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Lee Enfield!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

STG 44 and the Lee Enfield, and the Gewhr, loving that trench knife as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

M1A1 Bazooka Rocket Launcher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Cato

I dont understand the fascination with lugers though :confused: to me they look ugly i would prefer the colt .45 but thats just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

My favourite is by far the Lee Enfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I really dislike the look of Lugers.

Colts look powerful and meaty.

A luger looks like a cigarette being poked out of it's box.

Just humble opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I have to go with the MG42 as well.
    Apart from its beauty, it was truly a great weapon.

Since the "Elephant" got a mention, Id like to throw in the T34 -
    t34d.jpg

Both the MG42 and the T34 share many positive attributes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

MOHAA and COD has thought you well :D

Based on firing experience M1 Garand accurate up to 200m and the reload time is quick, lee enfield is a sniper rifle imo its deadly accurate but its reload time leaves the user open to death :D

never fired any german weapons but would love a go of a STG.

kdjac

I read an article recently about Russian troops who used to ride into battle on the back of the T-34's, one negative attribute they mentioned were them 2 spare fuel tanks on the back of it, not exactly what you wanted to be sitting beside with bullets flying around. But still a very cool tank, if Hitler had gone with something like that instead of the troublesome Tigers and Panthers, the world might be a very different place today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

KdjaCL wrote: »
    MOHAA and COD has thought you well :D

Based on firing experience M1 Garand accurate up to 200m and the reload time is quick, lee enfield is a sniper rifle imo its deadly accurate but its reload time leaves the user open to death :D

never fired any german weapons but would love a go of a STG.

kdjac

The Americans had a target rifle with there Springfield
    The Germans had a hunting rifle with there Mauser
    But the British had a battle rifle with the Lee Enfield

...or so the old saying goes.

Reload time for the Lee Enfield is probably the quickest of the bolt action rifles of its period, far far quicker than its competitor, the Mauser action. Also, the Enfield holds the record for the most amount of aimed shots in a minute, set back in 1914, something like 40 rounds in one minute in a 12" target at 300 yards........thats serious going! Slow me ar$e :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Americans had a target rifle with there Springfield
    The Germans had a hunting rifle with there Mauser
    But the British had a battle rifle with the Lee Enfield

...or so the old saying goes.

Reload time for the Lee Enfield is probably the quickest of the bolt action rifles of its period, far far quicker than its competitor, the Mauser action. Also, the Enfield holds the record for the most amount of aimed shots in a minute, set back in 1914, something like 40 rounds in one minute in a 12" target at 300 yards........thats serious going! Slow me ar$e :p

But its a bolt action, i would assume quickness comes with the fear of death. its a deadly accurate rifle imo far better then the springfield.

The m1 combined accuracy with quick reload, so a skilled marksman would be adept with using it. Assuming all boot campers where skilled the m1 has to win as you had a few chances with your shots. Wheares with the lee enfield you really had one chance and maybe just maybe a 2nd chance if you reloaded fairly ****ing fast.

kdjac

Advertisement