Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dawn of war 2 confirmed \o/

Options
  • 03-04-2008 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭

http://investor.thq.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=96376&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1125123&highlight=

Excellent new's tbh one of the most fun rts released in the last 4 year's hope they ship the game with titans and tyranids perhapes space marines/chaos/orks/tyranid as race's or a combined imperium of man army which includes a limited number of space marnes and a lot of imp guard but i guess they wont change it around to much.Also rather cool how people who bought soulstorm get in on the beta soulstorm wasnt the most impressive expansion imho so lest now it feels like im getting my moneys worth ...

First priority for the new game though fix the ****ing pathfinding issues its been 4 years and 3 expansions and it still sucks ;p map size need to be looked at as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Thats one crap trailer seems to confirm orks and space marines though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

bizmark wrote: »
    Thats one crap trailer seems to confirm orks and space marines though

It's purely a teaser though, and it appeared a week before the official announcement so it was always going to be limited.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It needs Tyranids, badly.

I'd be interested in seeing an option to customise the traits of your armies/races. e.g. Death Wing and Raven Wing for Dark Angels, Craftworld specific traits for Eldar, and the likes. Something like the wargear for your commander in Dark Crusade except applied to the whole army. I don't think it'd be too cheesy and could be implemented easily enough with maybe 3 "special" points allowed per army that could make them better in hand-to-hand or more shooty or whatever.

Also, they should bring back the Squats... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

This stuff comes from some belgian games mag that has a dow 2 exclusive apperently
    - Uses the Essence 2.0 engine with Havok physics, all optimised for DX10 and multicore support.
    - It looks great, think of the DoW intro but with a bit less polygons here and there (in terms of lighting and all that it looks almost exactly the same).
    - Units also use CoH-like unit AI for awareness and pathfinding to find cover and such.
    - While DoW 2 shares the same (upgraded probably) engine as CoH it won't be "CoH in space", while soldiers in CoH will ask themselves if flanking the enemy is the right option, in DoW2 it will be more like Space Marines asking themselves if they should use their jetpacks to jump over an Ork squad to attack them in the back. Different settings, different kinds of warfare.
    - Preview only showed a destroyed city landscape, akin to DoW (but more detailed), other tilesets will offer deserts, jungles, mountains and other cities.
    - Only the Orkz and Space Marines were revealed, more races on the way obviously and to be to revealed later this year (though how many isn't known).
    - Co-op campaign for both the Orkz and Space Marines, apparently not for the other to-be-revealed races.
    - More focus on making units and squads unique; every unit has got a name (at least in the campaign it seems), more details and more animations.
    - Relic wants to give players rewards at the end of a mission like wargear (armor, weapons, rare objects); "Let's pimp out squads with cool stuff!", you will see these items in-game as well of course.
    - You'll fight your way through the campaign with the same squads.
    - You can't control more than six squads! I am not sure if this is campaign-only but the preview made it sound like it wasn't.
    - The squads are going to be a lot more interesting than before though.
    - A squad leader (one or several?) will need to survive if you want to complete a mission; you really have to look out for your squads and don't treat them like cannon fodder.
    - There is a lot more interesting commentary from the units as well; if your SM commander is holding a Thunder Hammer f.e. then the opponent will specifically comment on that, Ork Warchief saying something like "Ooh, nice hammer, but mine is bigger!". The warchief will say something else if the commander doesn't have the hammer.
    - The campaign lets Space Marines operate from a spaceship, you'll get a view of an underlying planet and you'll be able to choose from different missions (which are tagged with difficulty colours, green, blue and red).
    - Certain reward items won't be useable at once in the campaign, so they'll be taken back to the SM spaceship for research.
    - Dreadnought can now also trample Orkz.
    - No sea or air units (though jetpacks are still in of course).
    - Development team of 55 people has been working on it since September 2005.
    - Release in early 2009 or later.

-Buildings can be occupied (like in coh)
    -Environment completely destructable ^^
    -Vehicles are bigger (there were only a couple of dreadnought shots)
    -LOTS of blood (i saw the screens and thought LOL)
    -Over the top finishing animations
    -when units are in melee, pieces of battle armor can be chopped off in the action

Sounds far more tactical which is good imho as i always thought dow was far to much of a meatgrinder lobbing 100 dreadnoughts to their doom wouldnt go down well with the chapter master id imagen......Also the custom squads which stay with you dureing the course of the game with each man haveing a name should really make you care more about your army i guess rather than just being faceless cannon fodder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Kharn wrote: »

They have to do the Tyranids, it is the only possible reasons not to do an expansion pack with them considered every new expansion is greeted with "Great, but no Tyranids" from the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

well they did say they couldnt do tyranids on the currnet engine properly so heres hoping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kharn wrote: »
    Isn't that what Starcraft's for? You're lying if you don't think it's going to end in "TERMAGANT RUSH KEKEKEKEKEKEKE ^_^"
    Also, they should bring back the Squats... :p

\o/ Spaaaaaaace Dwaaaaaaarrrrrrves! \o/

Actually, I rather liked the Squats. Boo Game's Workshop's tendancy to rewrite the history of the universe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

As long as Iron Lore have nothing to do with it. They made a right bloody hames of Soulstorm.

• Advertisement

Gizzle wrote: »
    As long as Iron Lore have nothing to do with it. They made a right bloody hames of Soulstorm.

Iron Lore don't exist any more, so it's not an option.

Gizzle wrote: »

Really? I was going to buy it this weekend .. is it that bad?

Wicknight wrote: »

It's okay, nothing special, just more of the same. The campaign is bigger but with 9 races it has to be. They certainly cut corners, some textures are slightly broken, some missions had content cut and unfinished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭Gizzle

Wicknight wrote: »

Meh, if you're dieing for more DoW it's...acceptable. But to me it seemed like a step backward from Dark Crusade...I mean, they don't even have witty banter between the commanders when you're fighting at their base ferchrissakes!:mad:

Also, it isn't much longer than DC's campaign. There are perhaps one or two more conquerable areas not including the Dark Eldar and Sisters of Battle's bases.

And finally, mine randomly has a heart attack and crashes in spite of the fact there's no discernable visual difference between it, and DC, which I could run seamlessly on max detail.

Rant finit.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Guys just so you know anyone who buys Soulstorm has free entry to the Dawn of War 2 beta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

those graphics look nice & shiney

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

If they do take that more tactical approach, I think this could be brilliant.

Advertisement