Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and chocolate

• 03-04-2008 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

I know you are not meant to give a dog chocolate, but what are the effects of it, is it constipation or do they get sick or what?

And does it take only a small bit of choclate or would it be a regular size mars bar that would have them in trouble?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Chocolate as we eat it is toxic to dogs. Only give the special dog choc tablets you can get in pet shops. Under no circumstances would I give ordinary chocolate to a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Chocolate as we eat it is toxic to dogs. Only give the special dog choc tablets you can get in pet shops. Under no circumstances would I give ordinary chocolate to a dog.

Why though, what exactly in chocolate (for humans) is toxic to dogs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think its taurine (its some chemical anyway) that is found in chocolate. They are unable to metabolise it and it can build up to toxic levels in their system.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Chocolate contains theobromine, an alkaloid that dogs can't metabolize quickly. If a dog ingests a large amount of chocolate, the theobromine can build up and reach a toxic level of concentration, leading to cardiac arrest. Different types of chocolate are more harmful than others, and the effects will vary, depending upon the size and weight of the dog. However, it is potentially lethal.

If you know your dog has ingested chocolate (signs of chocolate poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, excessive urination, a quick heart rate, and rapid breathing) take him to a vet immediately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭fits

andrewh5 wrote: »
    Chocolate contains theobromine.

Thats the one... I knew it began with 'tea' and ended with 'ine':D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Taurine (sp?) is the thing that cats need in their diet isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

My dog is 21 and she loves choc.. She eats some nearly everyday .. and as i said she is 21 years old. (human years)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

NeVeR wrote: »
    My dog is 21 and she loves choc.. She eats some nearly everyday .. and as i said she is 21 years old. (human years)

Wow - thats an old dog! What breed if you dont mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭hadook

Dogs can't process theobromine and it builds up in their system. That small bit of chocolate she's getting every day is going to cause problems and kill her. I know she's old but that's no excuse for feeding her something that is effectively a cumulative poison. :(

Can you not switch her to dog safe chocolate? Or some other foodstuff that is safe for her to eat? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Theobromine is contained in the cocao bit of the chocolate.

The higher the cocao content the more poisonous the chocolate (for dogs)

Worst you can give your dog is baking chocolate or one of those "luxurios" extremely dark chocolates, or worst, pure cocao powder, that could actually be lethal quite quickly.

Something "cheap" like a Mars bar or a few M&M's won't do much harm ...still wouldn't give it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

peasant wrote: »
    Theobromine is contained in the cocao bit of the chocolate.

The higher the cocao content the more poisonous the chocolate (for dogs)

Worst you can give your dog is baking chocolate or one of those "luxurios" extremely dark chocolates, or worst, pure cocao powder, that could actually be lethal quite quickly.

Something "cheap" like a Mars bar or a few M&M's won't do much harm ...still wouldn't give it though

Thanks for that. I dropped a bit of choclate last night, only a small bit of dairy milk and the little guy was in like a shot.
    I was just worried about him after, he seemed grand though. I must get him some of the doggy chocolate though.

Its the clock moving forward that has thrown him of routine though, he used to sleep bang on 11, now its 12. and he barks like mad if we put him to bed around half 11. A slap of a newspaper, off the wall, quitens him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Why must you get chocolate for your dog? Dog chocolate or otherwise?? Talk about anthropomorphism... Why not give your dog something thats actually good for him? Or has some nourishment! Just because the dog likes it doesn't mean he has to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Alun wrote: »

It is.

If you want to give her a treat give her a small bit of cheese. Too much human food is bad for dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I always give mine a little bit of chocolate if I'm having some, not very often though. I think it'd only be the dark stuff or the cooking chocolate that would kill a dog, maybe milk chocolate in a large enough quantity though..... there isn't really much chocolate in most bars anyway, it's usually mostly filling. (mars, snickers, crunchie etc)
    I buy the white and normal choc drops from aldi, I've even had a few of the white ones myself lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Chocolate is dangerous to dogs so are raisins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Raisins? Eeek, I'll stop giving my dog the end of my muesli!

The vet tells me that every Christmas Day without fail he's called out to try to save a dog or two poisoned by chocolate.

The scenario: The family get a present of a nice big box of choccies and everyone feasts in front of the telly, and then they go up to bed, belching, leaving the box open under the beady eyes of the family dog.

The dog, of course, helps himself, and next morning when they come down, they find him convulsing and foaming.

CUT TO: Weeping family pleading with pissed-off vet to save their pet, while his Christmas dinner goes cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Morganna wrote: »
    Chocolate is dangerous to dogs so are raisins.

I never knew raisins. No more porter cake for him then!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That little bit of choc a dog is given daily will build up some people are just lucky their dogs havent become ill. Ask any vet they will tell you never to give your dog chocolate there are alternatives plenty of dog treats out there including carob which is safe.

Never ever ever give your rabbit or guineapig or hamster or birds etc chocolate either

Isn't taurine the stuff in Red Bull thats made out of bulls pee?:p

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

Not picking on you here but I remember a few years ago the oldest woman in the world saying she had smoked and drank whiskey since 1940 (or something similar). Some people (and dogs) are lucky but their reactions/consequences are not typical for other people/dogs. I wouldn't be hugely keen on giving them doggy-chocolate as they could easily mistake human chocolate for their favourite treat (colour, consistency etc.) Anyway, most dogs I know would prefer some nice ham/rasher/sausage if it came down to it!

The trouble I had to convince my parents not to give our dog chocolate! (:pac: = me eating the chocolate before the dog got it ;)) I ended up printing off some articles from the internet and highlighting the important bits! There's still lots of "Sorry, poor wee dog, but RoseBlossom won't let you have any!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Never give your dog grapes either, so i have been warned. Highly Toxic! for dogs.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Between chocolate, raisins and now grapes oh and chicken bones... I've also heard onions are poisonous for cats:eek::eek:...

Is there anywhere or anyone that can give a definitive list of dangerous/posionous foods for cats and dogs?? also what is is that makes them lethal....

I think it would very useful for owners....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I never give my dog chocolate but she does love it. I have tried to give her the doggy chocolate but she won't even look at it. She'll sniff and turn away or if I put it into her treat ball she will just leave it scattered around the floor.

But she has in the past sniffed out a stick of twix that was in the bottom of my bag, randsacked the bag. I've come home to find the twix paper on the floor opened out completely flat (no tear in the wrapper) and licked clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Isn't taurine the stuff in Red Bull thats made out of bulls pee?:p
    It's an amino acid that's essential for a cat's well-being. Apparently they generate it themselves at a much lower rate than they lose it from their bodies, so need to have it in their diet (from meat). Supposedly taurine was first isolated in large amounts from ox bile, hence the name.

Don't know about the Red Bull connection .. don't touch the stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭patmac

Anyway, most dogs I know would prefer some nice ham/rasher/sausage if it came down to it!

Did i not read here that pork was bad for your dog (or is it just jewish dogs,(sorry)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

It's an amino acid that's essential for a cat's well-being. Apparently they generate it themselves at a much lower rate than they lose it from their bodies, so need to have it in their diet (from meat). Supposedly taurine was first isolated in large amounts from ox bile, hence the name.

Don't know about the Red Bull connection .. don't touch the stuff.

I used to think it was an amino acid also but apparently its not an amino acid cause it doesn't have a carboxyl group or something. It is an organic acid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taurine

There's 1 gram of it in a can of red bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 babydollbabe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭No1J

jameshayes wrote: »
    Wow - thats an old dog! What breed if you dont mind me asking?

Chocolate Labrador?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

mobby wrote: »
    Never give your dog grapes either, so i have been warned. Highly Toxic! for dogs.

I used to feed grapes to one of our dogs (one for you, one for me...!), because she loved them. I stopped when she got really, really sick one night, and barfed all over the sofa. I since found out that they (and their raisin form) are cumulatively toxic to dogs, although I don't know why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

All responsible dog owners should be aware of what their dogs can and cant eat, Chocolate, Raisins(and grapes), uncooked potatoes, Cooked Chicken bones(uncooked are fine) and toothpaste.

Basically dont feed you dog junk food, no sweets or chipper food, you would think this was common knowledge but with the amount of poisoning cases apparently not.

Here is a list I found and the effects, yes I know your surprised by some of them:
    Avocados (fruit, pit, and plant) - toxic, causes breathing
    difficulties and pancreatitis.
    Grapes and raisins - kidney failure
    Tomatoes - tremors and heart arrhythmias?
    Nutmeg - causes seizures, tremors and death
    Caffeine - causes vomiting, restlessness, heart palpitations and death
    Diet products - drop in blood sugar
    Macadamia nuts - muscle tremor, weakness and paralysis
    Walnuts - poisonous
    Fruit pips, seeds - poisonous since it contains cyanide
    Salt - dog may develop bloating due to too much drinking
    Ham and bacon - pancreatitis
    Liver (raw or uncooked)- Vitamin A deficiency
    Wild mushrooms - poisonous causing liver and kidney damage other
    abdominal discomfort and death
    Raw egg whites - biotin depletion
    Cooked bones - Destroy dogs internal organs
    Vegetables - Dogs cannot digest vegetables
    Dairy food - pancreatitis, gas and diarrhea

The list goes on and on, so please do some reserch. I also found this page to get you started: http://www.earthclinic.com/Pets/poisonous_foods.html

Advertisement