Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs and chocolate

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

i think white chocolate does the most damage to dogs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

pokertalk wrote: »
    i think white chocolate does the most damage to dogs
    You're wrong, darker chocolate is worse, with cooking chocolate being the very worst of all- contains more theobromine.
    Having said that, my friend's basset has eaten chocolate ( and grapes and bones and milk and a while host of other 'bad' foods) his whole life of 15 years and has never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Alun wrote: »
    Taurine (sp?) is the thing that cats need in their diet isn't it?

Taurine is the deadly stuff in red bull!

but white chocolate has a hell of a lot more cream in than dark or brown i thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

but white chocolate has a hell of a lot more cream in than dark or brown i thought

But I think theobromine is much more deadly than Dairy and from what i have heard, young dogs(before the age of 2) have some tolerance to dairy products.

• Advertisement

But I think theobromine is much more deadly than Dairy and from what i have heard, young dogs(before the age of 2) have some tolerance to dairy products.

Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
    From The Merck Veterinary Manual, here are approximate Theobromine levels of different types of chocolate:
    • Dry cocoa powder = 800 mg/oz
    • Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 450 mg/oz
    • Cocoa bean mulch = 255 mg/oz
    • semisweet chocolate and sweet dark chocolate is = 150-160 mg/oz
    • Milk chocolate = 44-64 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
    • White chocolate contains an insignificant source of methylxanthines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Quick Guide for Theobromine levels in different types of chocolate:
    From The Merck Veterinary Manual, here are approximate Theobromine levels of different types of chocolate:
    • Dry cocoa powder = 800 mg/oz
    • Unsweetened (Baker's) chocolate = 450 mg/oz
    • Cocoa bean mulch = 255 mg/oz
    • semisweet chocolate and sweet dark chocolate is = 150-160 mg/oz
    • Milk chocolate = 44-64 mg Theobromine per oz chocolate
    • White chocolate contains an insignificant source of methylxanthines

Yeah, thats what I said. The Dairy(cream as you called it) in the white chocolate is what will cause a problem for dogs and not the Theobromine which is in greater quantities in darker chocolates.

Yeah, thats what I said. The Dairy(cream as you called it) in the white chocolate is what will cause a problem for dogs and not the Theobromine which is in greater quantities in darker chocolates.
    yeah i love proving myself wrong:D going around to get 10 milky bars now to celebrate with the dogs:D

Advertisement