Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to get advice?

• 03-04-2008 3:10pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know someone who wanted to buy a house. They and the seller signed the contracts and it then transpired that the seller was not legally allowed sell the house (local authority reasons). AFAIK a document was witheld from my mates solicitors by the sellers until after the contracts were signed.

Anyhow, I presume that the seller's solicitors should not have allowed their client to try to sell the house. Similarly, my mates solicitor should have twigged the fact that it was currently not saleable legally.

Meanwhile my mate is stuck in the middle (and has been for a number of years). Who can they speak to as their solicitor wants to wash their hands of the matter (and yet still get paid!)?

Comments

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

On the basis of what you say, there could be hundreds of explanations. My answer to your question would be: another solicitor. Its not actually possible to say who, if anyone at all, could be to blame for this scenario without examining the documentation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They and the seller signed the contracts and it then transpired that the seller was not legally allowed sell the house (local authority reasons).
    Surely this would have come to light during the routine searches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭BanzaiBk

FLAC maybe?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Surely this would have come to light during the routine searches?
    I suppose my mate trusted their solicitor to do their job. Presumably the seller thought the same of theirs.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

In fairness, its not necessarily either solicitors fault. I think it equally likely the seller forgot or omitted to tell his solicitor some vital piece of information.

In any event your mate won't find the answer to his question here.

• Advertisement

Whats the story with regard to the (proposed?) legal ombudsman here? Would the law society be of any help?
    I feel that both solicitors fecked up and my mate is effectively being pressurised into submission by their own solicitor.

Law Society only deals with misconduct essentially. Ombudsman will be another port of call if a person is unhappy with the Law Society thereafter (when that office is set up).

What you are alleging, I gather, is negligence on the part of your solicitor. In that event, you would need to consult with another solicitor if you wanted to take an action. The Law Society have no role to play in this event.

The Law Society have a list of solicitors I believe who are prepared to take cases against other solicitors (as there is a perception out there that solicitors won't sue other solicitors).

Thanks Maximillian.

I'll let them know this info. I personally find my friends solicitor at fault as the reason they were retained was to ensure that everything was legal, which as it turned out, it wasn't! My mate is down a considerable amount of money because of the delay (had to rent, etc.) and also now is not the owner of a property which had appreciated in value over the last number of years - I don't know if this is grounds for compensation though.

(BTW it really isn't me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They really need to see an impartial solicitor that will advise them of all their options.

Advertisement