Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thursday Cup, Quarter finals.

• 03-04-2008 4:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭

Could be some good games in here tonight, of course i dont really care if any of them are good or not....Forza Anti Football!

Leverkusen V Zenit (Leverkusen)
    Rangers V Sporting (I cant predict this one...my head and heart dont agree on anything)
    Bayern V Getafe (Bayern, but i have a funny feeling Getafe will run them close)
    Fiorentina V PSV (Fiorentina)

I reckon ALL the games will be close affairs TBH, and nothing will be decided tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Come on The Gers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

DesF wrote: »
    Come on The Gers

Im nervous as hell to be honest...its been a very long time sice weve been in a position as good as this (92-93 CL).
    Sporting are a damn good team and should be favourites over 2 legs, but weve been defending brilliantly and also carrying that little bit of luck that every team needs in these tournaments...so who knows?

Plus, Walter doesnt like losing to teams in Green and White hoops! :D

Eirebear wrote: »
    that little bit of luck that every team needs in these tournaments
    It's usually called "the luck of the irish"...but I don't think you lot would like that for some reason :D

It's usually called "the luck of the irish"...but I don't think you lot would like that for some reason :D

lol....feck that, well take any luck we can get our hands on tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

rangers on setanta ireland

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote: »
    rangers on setanta ireland
    Thanks for the heads up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Come on The Gers

Jesus Wept. :confused:

I thought it was only a myth Shels had an element of Rangers sympathisers.

Whatever about the obvious question of why any Irish person would support them (other than wind up), and you spend half your posts on here battling the EPL/Celtic fans, surely the way they treated Shels in Castle Greyskull in 98 would be enough reason not want to see them lose?

Whatever about the obvious question of why any Irish person would support them (other than wind up), surely the way they treated Shels in Castle Greyskull in 98 would be enough reason not want to see them lose?

Same reason an Irish would choose to support the other team from Glasgow.

None at all really.

Nothing to do with Shels tbh. The two are unrelated.

So stop talking shíte where there is no shíte to be stirred.

Whatever about the obvious question of why any Irish person would support them (other than wind up), and you spend half your posts on here battling the EPL/Celtic fans, surely the way they treated Shels in Castle Greyskull in 98 would be enough reason not want to see them lose?

Snigger........

Same reason an Irish would choose to support the other team from Glasgow.

None at all really.

Nothing to do with Shels tbh. The two are unrelated.

So stop talking shíte where there is no shíte to be stirred.

But the other team from Glasgow have a connection to Ireland (like it or not) and don't have a tradition of anti-Irish policies and discrimination. The other team from Glasgow didn't treat Shels in the manner Rangers did in 98.

So its not the same reason at all.

Sorry Des, but cheering Rangers for 'no reason at all really' aint going to wash. What are you up to?

• Advertisement

Snigger........

Its a legitimate question. I don't even wan't to try and begin to piece together your motives for being an Irish Rangers fan, but Des is going to have to fight this corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Obviously as a Bohs fan Im going to have to support Rangers tonight but I dont really support any British team, I see no difference between someone following Rangers to any English teams as far as religion and politics go, all of England had anti Irish policies not too long ago.

bohsman wrote: »
    Obviously as a Bohs fan Im going to have to support Rangers tonight .

Huh? I take it thats sarcasm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

But the other team from Glasgow have a connection to Ireland (like it or not) and don't have a tradition of anti-Irish policies and discrimination. The other team from Glasgow didn't treat Shels in the manner Rangers did in 98.

Sorry Des, but cheering Rangers for 'no reason at all really' aint going to wash. What are you up to?

Yep. I don't get it. Are all EL fans like this? Its no uncommon for countries to have connections with other clubs from an entirely country ot Nation.

There is much more reason for an affiliation with Celtic than there is for Rangers, but hey you can't win with Des, he would probably get upset if Irish fans followed the similar antics of Fernabache followers.

Its a legitimate question. I don't even wan't to try and begin to piece together your motives for being an Irish Rangers fan, but Des is going to have to fight this corner.

Just as well really, because ive spent my life explaining myself to bigots on both sides of the divide...and i really cant be arsed doing it again.
    But you keep up the good work dude, your spreading that hatred well.

Huh? I take it thats sarcasm?

Bohs were founded by the British Army in the 1890's and we wind them up about it no end. Same colours as Trinity etc. There was a time when Rangers shirts were sported around D7, they say to wind us up, we say because they are black and tan and inherently untrustworthy biggles wannabies. :D So I assume its tongue in black and red cheek.
    Just as well really, because ive spent my life explaining myself to bigots on both sides of the divide...and i really cant be arsed doing it again.
    But you keep up the good work dude, your spreading that hatred well.

Are they bigots for asking why a Dub from a catholic/nationalist background follows the Gers? Its unusual enough to be a fair question

And what 'hate' exactly am I spreading?

Bohs were founded by the British Army in the 1890's and we wind them up about it no end. Same colours as Trinity etc. There was a time when Rangers shirts were sported around D7, they say to wind us up, we say because they are black and tan and inherently untrustworthy biggles wannabies. :D So I assume its tongue in black and red cheek.

Are they bigots for asking why a Dub from a catholic/nationalist background follows the Gers? Its unusual enough to be a fair question

And what 'hate' exactly am I spreading?

Cheers for the info..I did not know that.

it wasnt so much what you asked that makes it sound hate filled and bigoted, rather how you asked.
    In fact even in your last statement you yet again bring religion into the equation, you seem to manage to do that every single time Rangers are mentioned.

Cheers for the info..I did not know that.

Bohs fans would give a slightly different story but I think its safe to say that any club formed to play soccer in the 1890s in Dublin would not have had huge catholic links.

Bohs fans would give a slightly different story but I think its safe to say that any club formed to play soccer in the 1890s in Dublin would not have had huge catholic links.

makes sense! :D

I didnt really factor that in, and i didnt realise it was a source of slagging one way or the other.
    I dont generally think about religion when i think about football.

So what would the Boh's fans version be?

"We were founded in 1890 as Richmond from football playing students at Bell's Academy, a Civil Service College." - some unofficial fans site. Think they were student Doctors.

• Advertisement

Cheers! Anyway im off to the game.
    So in the words of DesF

C'mon the Gers! :D

So what?

I generally keep an eye out for all of our previous European opponents, also any city or town I've visited that has a soccer team, I'd look out for them too.

Also, my absolute hatred for Celtic FC comes into it. Rangers being their biggest rivals, I'd have a "soft spot" for them. My hatred for Celtic is deep rooted.
    No, you're right, it isn't.

Yep. I don't get it. Are all EL fans like this? Its no uncommon for countries to have connections with other clubs from an entirely country ot Nation.
    Oh yeah.

I forgot about Panathinaikos and their Shamrock.
    There is much more reason for an affiliation with Celtic than there is for Rangers,
    Not in my book.

Where do Hibs come into all of this? Hibernia means Ireland at least. Celtic encompasses Irish, Scots, Welsh, Manx, Cornish, Brianny, Galatia.

So, why no Hibs jersies around the place?

Oh yeah. They aren't successful.
    but hey you can't win with Des, he would probably get upset if Irish fans followed the similar antics of Fernabache followers.
    I'm sorry bu you've lost me. Seriously, what the hell is that all about?

Fenerbahce, wtf?
    I think its safe to say that any club formed to play soccer in the 1890s in Dublin would not have had huge catholic links.
    True.

"We were founded in 1890 as Richmond from football playing students at Bell's Academy, a Civil Service College." - some unofficial fans site. Think they were student Doctors.

By Civil Service you mean military. ;)

Bells Acadamy was the military hospital/ medical school of the Irish Hibernian regiment of his majesties army. When the Rovers fans kicked the Brits out, the locals took over the team and we have been reminding them of their history ever since. :D

Basically its pure wind up, and the more they deny it, the more we bring it up.

Advertisement