Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My fitness log

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

01/01/08

Had day off work and got a much needed lie in. Went to gym so on treadmill did 800m warm up and then 5K in 19:44. Granted this is was on the treadmill and therefore not an accurate representation of what I am capable of. But i find personally I can always run faster on the road than I do on the treadmill for the same effort put in. So I am happy with this time.
    Also did some weights but nothing worth mentioning, I was fairly bet after the treadmill so couldn't do much. Regardless happy enough with the session.

03/08/08
    Soccer

04/08/08
    2 mile road - easy

Felt pretty desperate on this run, some many little aches and pains, but regardless I will carry on and might even try to get out again tonight with it being a bank holiday and all.

05/08/08:
    2 mile road: 12:26

Felt literally ten times better on this run than Mondays and a nice time to boot so happy enough with this. I was pushing fairly hard but know there is just so much more to come when I get some good training in.

06/08/08
    -

07/08/08
    2.5 mile road: easy

Just went for an easy run with my younger cousin who is just starting to get back into running after a period out so I was running fairly easy and this run probably doesn't count for much. Run was probably around 7:30 mile pace

Haven't updated this in a while mainly because I have not done much since my last run which is down to a strain in my hamstring. So went out last night and did 2 mile, didn't time it but pushed fairly hard and know from the pace i was going that I was somewhere under 13 mins. Hamstring felt okish but once I can do anything at all I will keep moving.

On the bright side I have a full week off work next week so plan to get bit of training in that week, and also found out I have three weeks off between when I finish work and when I go back to college so should be able to get alot of training done there and get back into decent shape before college, where I can continue to train.

Again haven't been up to much, was wrecked from work on thurs and fri and had my 21st on saturday so pretty wrecked sunday although I dont drink it was a pretty late night.
    Anyway had soccer match Sunday which I tried to play
    Today went to gym to just loosen and freshing up the body a bit. Have this week off work so I plan to get out every day this week. If I dont I'll be very disappointed.

19/08/08

4.5 mile: easy

Did this with my younger cousin, i probably went too easy but didn't mind because I was fairly tired after the gym. Anyways its a run in and milage on the clock.

2 mile road: 12:25

Time was good, felt ok considering the sporadic training I am doing. Feel it wont be long before I am back under 12mins for it hopefully.

On another note I now weigh under 11 & 1/2 stone.

This means I have lost another half a stone in 3 months which doesn't sound like alot but it decent enough for me as I feel I only have another small bit to loose before I am at my ideal. At the moment it gives me a BMI of 21.8 although I dont read much into that and are more interested in body fat %, which I estimate is somewhere between 10-15% and I would like to get this to <10%. Twas once at 5% in my prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

just wondering why most of your runs are 2 miles?
    and are you still planning on a 10k race shortly?
    if so would you not be running up to and possibly over the 10k distance in training ?
    hope you dont mind the questions, just that you have very good 2 mile times so should be fast over the longer distances.
    keep up the good work

• Advertisement

SUNGOD, good question, guess its down to a bit of laziness on my part and the fact there is a nice 2 mile loop very close to where I live. Also down to the fact that for the past 6 months I have been commuting 4 hours in total everyday during the week so once I get to 2 miles I am pretty wrecked. But I have to admit more than to laziness than anything else, I shouldn't make excuses. I have one more week of work left then back to college so I plan to seriously up my mileage after that. I guess I have been trying to just keep ticking over. That 10k is probably not going to happen as a result of lack of mileage as you pointed out. But I should have time for to get back into a small bit of shape for the cross country for mid October.

Although in saying that, today I did 4 mile in 27:28.
    Very happy with this as my plan was to average 7 min miles. I am also happy that this is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what I am capable of but need to do much more to reach this.

Saturday was at wedding so didn't get out,

24/08/08
    20 min run, not sure of the distance covered just wanted to get out before soccer and loosen up a bit so didn't take it too hard and obviously also had soccer today 1 hour.

Right fsince the start of the week I seem to have gotten a bit of a head cold so haven't been feeling the best. Went for a easy 2 mile yesteraday, definitly didn't feel 100% and probably shouldn't have went at all but sure its done now and on the plus side I think the cold is going away so all is not too bad.

Unfortunately I had to take the rest of last week off as I was still suffering with a bit of a cold and sore throat but that seems to be behind me now. Had soccer on Sunday and that got me back into the swing of things.

So this week was to be the start of my new training schedule and got it off to a goods start I feel.

01/09/08
    4 mile: 26:28
    First 2 mile: 13:05
    Second 2 mile: 13:23
    Average 6:37 mile

I am pretty delighted with this run considering i did basically nothing for a week and was sick, it is also one of my best runs since getting back training so quiet happy with it. The second 2 mile was a bit slower which is not perfect but I was 1 minute down at one stage and was able to pick it up at the end so happy with that.

02/09/08
    Gym session with 30 min run.

03/09/08
    2 mile: 12:44

I was taking this easy as I was tired but its good to know that I felt so easy doing this run.

04/09/08
    - (Rest Day)

05/09/08
    6.25 mile/10k: 42:55

so thats 6:52 per mile.

Thats pretty decent considering my recent runs and is my longest run for a while. Would certainly like to be running alot faster than this for 10k although today wasn't full out and today certainly wasn't the best day for fast times. But I feel I am making progress so i'm happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

thats a decent time time considering its your longest run in some time.
    the longer runs will really stand to you and build stamina for all your runs.
    good stuff token

6:52 min mile thats nearly perfect sub 3 hour marathon pace keep it up and ya never know:D:D

SUNGOD wrote: »
    thats a decent time time considering its your longest run in some time.
    the longer runs will really stand to you and build stamina for all your runs.
    good stuff token

6:52 min mile thats nearly perfect sub 3 hour marathon pace keep it up and ya never know:D:D

Thanks for SUNGOD, yeah I just need to put in the mileage but I am feeling yesterdays run in my legs today.

Think I am a small bit off a sub 3 hour marathon yet, only need to hold that pace for 20 more miles :P. Maybe next year.

06/09/08
    - (Pretty tired after 10k)

07/09/08
    5 mile hill run: 35:27
    1 hour soccer

Hard days work today, I was happy with the run as I haven't done much hill work in a while and the hills were hard today so that time is actually ok considering. Nice way to finish off my first proper weeks training in a while I fell.

08/09/08
    1 mile warm up

7 mile: 50:18

1 mile warm down

I had company on this run which made things alo easier. Took the first 6 miles very comfortably and I could probably have done another 6 at this pace, but pushed out on the last mile a did roughly 5:45 for the last mile which felt really good. My legs are very sore today but I dont mind once I am getting some nice runs in.

09/09/08
    -
    Unscheduled rest day but my legs were in bits and need a rest.

10/09/08
    2 mile: 13:02

Again legs weren't great so just went out for an easy run to loosen them up. Doing this time felt really easy even with the wind and rain today and my legs feeling a bit dead. Depending on conditions tomorrow I might try my first speed session in a while.

• Advertisement

11/09/08

Went down to my club today to train as i thought they would be doing a speed session but they were just back from a break so were not doing much ended up doing
    800m warm up
    2400m 8:56
    800m warm down

Wasn't very happy with the amount of running I had done so went out and did an easy 4.5 miles straight afterwards.

Also the 10k I had planned to run is on this Sunday and I am at two minds as whether to run it or not. I know the distance won't be the problem but I didn't really want to do it unless I could run under or very close to 40mins for it which is very unlikely at the moment, but I might run it anyways and us it as a training run.

Right did nothing friday and probably wont do anything today as I have decided to run that race tomorrow. I will probably die of death, but I will use it as a training run and something which will hopefully bring me on a bit.

Aim is for sub 43:45 or 7 min miles. This is being realistic, obviously I would like to go sub 40 but with the course being very hard and my current fitness this would be a long shot to say the least. Anyways I will report back afterwards.

14/09/08
    Luggacurren 10K road race: 41:42
    Average 6:40 per mile.

I am fairly happy with this considering everything, conditions were not great for fast time but I actually enjoyed the ran, does a great job of keeping you cool. I also had one or two little personal battles during the race which I won 2 out of 3 so as they say that ain't bad. But overall I happy that I gave my all and thats all I wanted to be able to say.

Now for soccer at 5. :(

Soccer on Sunday was hard but we won so I am happy.

15/09/08
    -

16/09/08
    4 mile: 26:18

This run was ok, the race on Sunday was still in my legs which were tired and didn't feel as strong. But even with that this is fastest time for 4 mile since getting back so happy enough. I am sure I can go alot faster when I am fully recovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

fair play token, great time glad to see you getting a bit of a run of staying injury free, long may it continue

Thanks Woodle just hope I stay injury free, your doing great yourself by the way.

17/09/08
    -
    Was unable to get out due to unplanned events poping up.

18/09/08
    6 miles: 42:40
    7:06 per mile

Took this run easy and relaxed and felt pretty good on it.
    Not sure how much training I will be able to get done over the weekend with work and moving stuff for college but I will try.

20/09/08
    -

21/09/08
    2.5 mile hill: 16:45

Felt terrible on this run, the worst I have felt in a long time, my body just felt very tired on the run, but I will rest it well tonight hopefully and try to get out.

21/09/08
    -

22/09/08
    4.2mile:

Just back in college this week so my body is just getting used to different sleep patterns and I am also changing my diet slightly, for the better, so it will take a while to get back into the swing of things but in the mean time I will just keep going for runs and when the body is feeling up for it I plan to start some doing some intervals, maybe 1k's and stuff.

23/09/08
    Gym Session

Went to the gym on Tuesday and went to do my normamal run on the threadmill which would be about 30mins long of varrying intensity but something did not feel right at all. There just seemed to be no strenght in my legs. I completed the run but it felt alot harder than it should have done. And even on the bike afterwards didn't feel the same. I will continue to train and hopefully things will come back together.

24/09/08
    -

25/09/08
    Soccer match 90mins

• Advertisement

26/09/08
    2.5 mile run

Things going from bad to worse. My hamstrings are in bits after the soccer match in particular my right one and I probably shouldn't have went for the run today but I just needed to get out and do something. I put ice on them for a while but they are still terrible. I should really rest my legs but I really want to be able to train as hard as i can, but sometimes you have to listen to your body. I will see how things are tomorrow.

27/09/08
    -

28/09/08
    Soccer 1 hour

Hamstrings were feeling good after a rest of saturday, not perfect but good and held up well during soccer, although unfortunately got a bit of a dead leg, but its no biggie. Wont be able to go for a run tommorrow but hopefully it should be all steam ahead from Tuesday onwards.

Right so things not going exactly to plan. I seem to have developed a bit of a chest infection which has stopped me from doing much, especially with the cold breeze about. But I find it very hard to sit back and just do nothing so I went to the gym today to do any easy session. It went ok, legs and hamstring felt okish but chest was not great, doing alot of coughing. Despite this it felt good to do something. I just want to get back into full training but I guess I will have to wait a bit longer. But I will try to keep doing something small in the mean time.

Right so took a week off there to try get my chest infection sorted, went on antibiotics and it has pretty much cleared up so thats good news. Bad news is my hamstring is still not perfect on my right leg but I did get a rub last weekend and this has helped. I am also getting back into a routine of stretching etc which should help.
    So went to gym tooday to do an easy session to welcome myself back to things as its been about 3 weeks since I have done proper run in my eyes. It all went well, hamstring felt a bit off but I felt good to be doing something.
    It is pretty much a cert that I wont be fit enough for the novice and intermediate cross country so that goal is gone out the door which is a shame but I will just look forward. My county senior cross coutry championships is normally sometime around December or January so I might target that but I will see.
    But my next aim is to get out on Saturday and I am going to do a familar run and see what the time is so I know what sort of a fitness level I am at and go from there again.

12/10/08
    90 mins soccer

13/10/08
    2 mile easy

14/10/08
    Gym Session

Right not feeling very fit at all at the moment, but no excuses I will get back to last months fitness and better.

15/10/08
    90 mins soccer

In literally the last minute of the match as I was runnning I felt a slight tear in my right hamstring, the one which has been bothering me for some time now. I will try to treat it as best I can and I will be going to a physio at the weekend. Hopefully it isn't as bad as I think it is. Looks like it will be a long road back to proper fitness :mad:

27/10/08
    2 mile: 12:13

It has been 2 weeks since my last run and even longer since a proper one. I have given my hamstring plenty of rest and some treatment so I decided to go out for a run. Went for a quick 2 mile and I was pretty suprised. I managed to run it the quickest I have done since I have gotten back. Dont ask me how all I know is I am happy with the run and happy that I have not lost any speed. So its a good starting point for some winter training and I want to get back to get in some mileage. Good times ahead hopefully:)

28/10/08
    4 mile: 26:56
    Splits
    First 2 mile: 13:40
    Second 2 mile: 13:16

Again pretty suprised but very happy with this run. Also happy the second 2 mile was quicker than the first 2 mile. So all going pretty well, long may it continue I hope.

29/10/08
    60mins soccer

30/10/08
    90mins soccer with 1 mile jog warm down.

31/10/08
    rest day

Legs are feeling pretty sore, probably from doing too much after doing nothing for a while. Will take tomorrow off too and hope to do a longish run on Sunday. Enjoying being back.

• Advertisement

Took Saturday off as planned.

02/11/08
    7.5 mile: 54:00 (7:12 per mile)
    &
    60 mins soccer

Took the run nice and easy and all went well, although afterwards legs felt like cement blocks. Soccer was hard after having done the run. Muscles are a bit tight at the moment but I plan on getting a rub next week and I will try stretch them out the best I can during the week. Happy to have got a relatively long run in though.

03/11/08
    rest

04/11/08
    soccer

05/11/08
    bit of a mixed session
    1 mile warm up
    1 mile 5:50
    2 min recovery
    1 min 6:05
    1.5 mile warm down

also did 15 mins of bike afterwards and alot of stretching

This session wasn't what I wanted it to be planned on doing 3x1 mile with 2 min recovery but didn't exactly work out like that. I plan on building up to 4x1 mile with 2 min recovery and hoping to eventually be able to hit them all in under 6 at least. I did sessions like this a few years back and was able to hit them all in sub 5:30 hopefully I can get back to that sort of form.

Anyway I have having another small injury problem at the moment, what a suprise. It is a sharp pain right below my patella/knee on my right leg, you can particularly feel it if you were walking up a stairs etc. I know the problem is to do with my quads being too tight so hopefully some stretching should sort it out.

06/11/08
    soccer

07/11/08
    -

08/11/08
    2.5 mile hill: 17:10

09/11/08
    5 mile: 35:00
    splits:
    first 2.5 mile 17:30
    second 2.5 mile 17:30

10/11/08
    -

11/11/08
    Gym session

12/11/08
    soccer

13/11/08
    soccer
    and
    gym session

14/11/08
    -

Going to see someone tomorrow about my knee so hopefully I can get some advice.

15/11/08
    5 mile hill:
    35:54

Splits:
    First 2.5 mile: 18:10
    Second 2.5 mile 17:44

Happy with my pacing again.

• Advertisement

16/11/08
    soccer

17/11/08
    Not sure of the distance but approx 26 min running, about somewhere around 7min mile pace.

18/11/08
    -

19/11/08
    -

20/11/08
    soccer

gym session

21/11/08
    -

Didn't do much afterwards this week, my right knee is giving me some trouble. I have been told I have some variation of runners/jumpers knee. In particular it is down to my ITB band which was extremely tight when I went to get a massage. At the moment i am just stretching it as best as I can but I am also trying to figure out the cause of the problem.
    I think it has something to do with the direction in which I run. I currently do most of my running with the flow of the traffic on the path. But since the path is sloped slightly towards the road my right side is absorbing more of the shock. Only problem is I have been doing this for years and never had any problems before. It could also be my runners gone dead. I have about 250 if even miles on them at the moment so they should have another bit in them yet but i might buy a new pair regardless to see if they make a difference. I currently use Asic Kayanos.
    Anyway I shall carry on training as much as I can and see how things go.

22/11/08
    4 mile: 26:50

splits:
    First 2 mile: 13:30
    Second 2 mile: 13:20

The last time I did this run I did more or less the same time. So I am not really gaining anything or loosing anything at the moment I guess. But happy enough with my current level of fitness.

Took the last week off since my last run, well I played on game of soccer on Tuesday, but didn't do much else. Needed to do this as my body just felt shattered for some reason and also to rest my knees, hamstrings and everything else. So back training today.

29/11/08
    5 mile hill: 34:58
    Splits:
    First 2.5 mile: 17:45
    Second 2.5 mile: 17:13

Very pleased with this run, week of rest did its job and felt good and strong on this run. I was probably pushing a bit hard towards the end but it felt like forever since I had been out and felt great the push it all out. Hopefully things will go well from here on out.

03/12/08
    2 mile road: 11:50

Average: 5:55 per mile

:(
    I am afraid that I have decided that this will be my last entry in this particular log. I could go into a long reason as to why I have decided to stop but basically I dont have enough time to do any sort of proper training and wont for the immediate future. So in my opinion there is no point in logging my current progress. Dont get me wrong I am still going to continue training whenever I can but I just dont feel I am doing enough to warrent any sort of log. Its disappointing because today is the closest I have gotten to any of my pb's although you could say its a good to end with a high.
    Anyway the sequel to this is going to come sometime the middle of next year so check for me then. :cool:

• Advertisement
Advertisement