Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Fighting

Options
  • 03-04-2008 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

I was watching a thing last night about dog fighting in england. Turned my stomach, I literally spent the whole programme either crying or shouting at the TV. :(

It's amazing the lengths people will go to train their dog, sickening footage of a man with tiny puppies pushing them face to face until they fought and another video of a man smacking his dog with a rubber stick to "toughen him up"

It brought up a few questions and I would like to get peoples opinions here, especially those of you involved in rescuing the bull breeds (the focus of the programme)

Firstly, when a dog fighting ring is raided the dogs are obviously taken. These dogs are given medical care and nursed back to health, only to be PTS due to legislation. Awful and all as it seems, why are these dogs nursed back to health and kept in kennels "in a secret location" if they will ultimately be PTS anyway? I know that will come across as an ignorant question to people who know about these things. Of course in an ideal world they would be rehomed - but this is impossible isn't it? or are there ways around the legislation and these dogs are kept alive in the hopes of them finding a home? (I'm talking about England)

The second thing that came to mind is - the journalist described PBT's as the "rolls Royce" of fighting dogs and said that their training and diet is as strict as an olympic athletes. Seeing what these dogs are capable of doing to each other (and other dogs - terrible footage of a poodle being mauled by an escaped fighting dog) it seems a hopeless situation for these dogs. They are bred to be killed in the most terrible way. Granted some are kept for pets but the majority in certain areas are fighting machines. Do you think that the ban on them might be a misguided effort by the government to genuinely do something to end the suffering of these dogs, or is it just a piece of legislation to keep the public happy?

What is the extent of dog fighting here in Ireland? I have never heard anything about it - and would be outraged if anybody I knew had any involvement (wouldn't think twice about reporting it no matter who was involved) but I realise that it is very very undercover in england so I assume the same can be said for here?

Lastly - what can normal people do to try make some difference?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

I was watching a thing last night about dog fighting in england. Turned my stomach, I literally spent the whole programme either crying or shouting at the TV. :(

It's amazing the lengths people will go to train their dog, sickening footage of a man with tiny puppies pushing them face to face until they fought and another video of a man smacking his dog with a rubber stick to "toughen him up"

It brought up a few questions and I would like to get peoples opinions here, especially those of you involved in rescuing the bull breeds (the focus of the programme)

Firstly, when a dog fighting ring is raided the dogs are obviously taken. These dogs are given medical care and nursed back to health, only to be PTS due to legislation. Awful and all as it seems, why are these dogs nursed back to health and kept in kennels "in a secret location" if they will ultimately be PTS anyway? I know that will come across as an ignorant question to people who know about these things. Of course in an ideal world they would be rehomed - but this is impossible isn't it? or are there ways around the legislation and these dogs are kept alive in the hopes of them finding a home? (I'm talking about England)

The second thing that came to mind is - the journalist described PBT's as the "rolls Royce" of fighting dogs and said that their training and diet is as strict as an olympic athletes. Seeing what these dogs are capable of doing to each other (and other dogs - terrible footage of a poodle being mauled by an escaped fighting dog) it seems a hopeless situation for these dogs. They are bred to be killed in the most terrible way. Granted some are kept for pets but the majority in certain areas are fighting machines. Do you think that the ban on them might be a misguided effort by the government to genuinely do something to end the suffering of these dogs, or is it just a piece of legislation to keep the public happy?

What is the extent of dog fighting here in Ireland? I have never heard anything about it - and would be outraged if anybody I knew had any involvement (wouldn't think twice about reporting it no matter who was involved) but I realise that it is very very undercover in england so I assume the same can be said for here?

Lastly - what can normal people do to try make some difference?
    it still happening alright every where,its sick and barbaric,I just dont know what thrill they get out of it,money id suppose.there is a need for more goverment power to put a stop to it as imo theyre not.In ireland extent of dog fighting id say high imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

davey180 wrote: »
    ,I just dont know what thrill they get out of it,money id suppose.
    TEN THOUSAND POUNDS on a fight is not uncommon apparently! Dogs with good lines are kept and bred for generations and can fetch huge money too apparently - I thought I heard £50,000 but I assume I misheard as it sounds ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

I watched that programme too, it was sick to see the dogs after the fights and the footage of the actual fights was too hard to watch. I'm pretty sure the presenter said as high as £50,000 for a dog wasn't uncommon... that much for a sick sense of pride. it's disgusting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Horrifying stuff...

Worse too when you hear about pets being kidnapped as fodder for 'training' these dogs.

Unfortunately those responsible get off pretty easily, the law just isn't there to protect animals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Saw the start of the programme, had to turn it off, have a staffie myself and thier such loyal and loving pets i dont know how anybody could do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anyone know the name of it? I'd like to watch it - well not 'like' as such...

See if i can download it online...

jameshayes wrote: »

See if i can download it online...
    it was on bbc one night about 3 weeks ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

jameshayes wrote: »

See if i can download it online...[/QUOTE

think its something like 'savage sports' britian!! something like that anyway,could be wrong!:)

It was lawless britian I think

Was on last night on virgin 1 too. So upsetting. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I saw it on TV3, it's called "lawless britain" They are sick! and yep they said the "best" dogs are worth up to £50,000. It doesn't bear thinking about them setting the dogs on ordinary dogs to train them! It's bad enough when the other dog has a fair chance of defending himself.

• Advertisement

really though I had misheard the 50k remark - thats just terrifying, how do people like that get their hands on so much money. I mean it's obviously a "sport" involving more well off people. Not just thick headed little skangers which is what I would have always thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

I saw that programme it was awful .I also saw one the other week about dog fighting here in ireland .One of the top gaa footballers from the north was involved .It is rife here to .

Morganna wrote: »
    I saw that programme it was awful .I also saw one the other week about dog fighting here in ireland .One of the top gaa footballers from the north was involved .It is rife here to .
    thats right there was a gaa top player involved.Oh the shame!

thats right there was a gaa top player involved.Oh the shame!
    was he a tyrone player or fermanagh

really though I had misheard the 50k remark - thats just terrifying, how do people like that get their hands on so much money. I mean it's obviously a "sport" involving more well off people. Not just thick headed little skangers which is what I would have always thought.
    the 50k money is probably pooled in eg 10 guys or gals come together and make up the money.5k each.i dont think imo that rich people may play the game as why would they spend it on gambling on dog fights.eg House,cars,holidays,etc get my meaning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

criminals seem to have plenty of money, at least the CAB has gotten a lot of their money I think.

didn't the gaa fella get kicked off the team?

was he a tyrone player or fermanagh
    i know his name but im not saying it.

No i dont think he did not sure

kerrysgold wrote: »
    criminals seem to have plenty of money, at least the CAB has gotten a lot of their money I think.

didn't the gaa fella get kicked off the team?
    i dont really know,id say its still under investigation???

i know his name but im not saying it.
    I cant remember his name but im sure i could look it up on net.

• Advertisement

he denied the whole thing but was as guilty as hell

I cant remember his name but im sure i could look it up on net.
    i dont think its wise to put his name on this thread?

i dont think its wise to put his name on this thread?
    I agree it wouldnt be wise .

I agree it wouldnt be wise .
    stiil his name should be on The Hall Of Shame!

What goes round comes round im a great believer in karma and he and all those other disgusting people will get there come uppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The mods can delete this post if necessary - but I don't believe in hiding the identity of people involved in this type of activity and its a matter of public record that Ger Cavlan, Tyrone player, was prosecuted for possession of a "dangerous dog" and not having it muzzled in a public place. He was not prosecuted for dog fighting and always claimed that the dog in his posession with facial injuries was not his, and he was only taking care of it for another person.

He was dropped from the team after the TV show in 2007. I don't think he is on the panel now, but I'm not sure about that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/6584465.stm

GAA star fined for dangerous dog

Ger Cavlan plays Gaelic football for Tyrone
    A Tyrone GAA football star has been fined £650 after pleading guilty to possession of a dangerous dog at Dungannon Magistrates Court.
    Gerard Cavlan, 30, of Willow Gardens, Dungannon, was also banned for five years from owning a terrier-type dog and ordered to pay costs of £4,300.

USPCA officials seized the animal, which had a number of scars, after they spotted it with the footballer.

Magistrate Eamon King urged Cavlan to remember his position as a role model.

"You have to be aware that people do look up to you and people do tend to emulate you and want to emulate you," he said.

"We want people to imitate you in all that's good - i.e. your successful footballing career - not in the type of activity that takes place in back yards in the dark of night involving one animal going face-to-face against another."

This pit bull terrier crossbreed was found at the home of Ger Cavlan

Cavlan admitted five offences involving possession of a pit bull, taking it out in public without a muzzle and having no licence for three other Staffordshire terriers.

The magistrate ordered the pit bull to be destroyed.

His lawyer, Michael Duffy, told the court Cavlan was not the pit bull's owner, but had only collected it from kennels for a Dublin man, who attended the court hearing.

The plan was to deliver the dog but before that Cavlan had taken it for a two-minute walk to stretch its legs, the barrister said.

"Mr Cavlan has no involvement in relation to any other activities that would be illegal.

"This favour which he did for another person has landed him in a very unfortunate and very sorry situation.

"He was doing somebody a good turn and he's paying a very heavy price for it," he said.

Mr King told Cavlan that if he had had a record and not entered a plea of guilty he would have jailed him if convicted of the offence.

"The message has to go out - in this day and age there is no place in this society for animals of this nature," the magistrate said.

"They are certainly not pets. They get off the leash, one or two dogs, and if they get a child, God knows (what could happen)."

A senior official from the local authority, which prosecuted the case, warned they would hunt out those who keep pit bulls.

Alan Burke, director of environmental health with Dungannon and South Tyrone Council, said: "If you keep pit bulls in this area, we will follow you and we will put you before the court."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

MsFifers wrote: »
    I don't believe in hiding the identity of people involved in this type of activity and its a matter of public record that Ger Cavlan

+1 million

He was dropped from the Tyrone panel and hasnt been near it since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

one ironic thing about all those investigations is the "rescued" dogs mostly get destroyed
    the dogs really are caught between a rock and a hard place.

Alan Burke, director of environmental health with Dungannon and South Tyrone Council, said: "If you keep pit bulls in this area, we will follow you and we will put you before the court."

they persue you, then kill the dog. but yet those dogs seem to live in the Republic without killing dogs and kids.
    with the sort of money being quoted CAB should be closing them down.
    I don't see why that guy having served whatever sentence he was given should be allowed to play GAA, he was charged for possesion of a "crossbred pitbull"
    Bryan

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I know - its so ridiculous - the dogs face harsher punishment than the people who abused them.

But can a dog that has been "trained" as a fight dog ever be rehabilitated - or will it always need expert supervision?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

^^ of course it can never be fully re-habilatated. I think all these dogs should be outlawed. I have friends who have one a staff and she is gorsgeous. The most intelligent dog i met. However outlawing them would prevent people using them for sport and then using the excuse the dog is kept as a pet.

Advertisement