Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Fighting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

BryanL wrote: »
    I don't see why that guy having served whatever sentence he was given should be allowed to play GAA, he was charged for possesion of a "crossbred pitbull"
    Bryan

What he does outside of the gaa hasnt nothing to do with them. He was dropped from the panel but there is nothing stopping him from playing Gaelic football for his club, it is an amateur game after all!!

With regards to the PTS / Retraining issue, its a very tough one to call. i'm sure the decision regarding rehoming or putting to sleep all comes down to cost and the cheaper solution will always win.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

togster wrote: »
    ^^ of course it can never be fully re-habilatated. I think all these dogs should be outlawed. I have friends who have one a staff and she is gorsgeous. The most intelligent dog i met. However outlawing them would prevent people using them for sport and then using the excuse the dog is kept as a pet.

If you outlaw them, they'll only be replaced by another breed.

Michael Vicks dogs are succesfully being rehabilitated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

BryanL wrote: »
    one ironic thing about all those investigations is the "rescued" dogs mostly get destroyed
    the dogs really are caught between a rock and a hard place.
    I know it's ridiculous, unfortunetly what can be done - people breed these dogs knowing that they will either be used for fighting or knowing that even if they are got as pets, if they ever find themselves in a pound they will likely be PTS due to rehoming issues (same with rotties, gsd's and others at the moment)
    cotton wrote: »
    If you outlaw them, they'll only be replaced by another breed..
    Very true.

As for the rehab thing, I'd like to think they could be but I'm not entirely sure if they ever could be 100%. Perhaps in a controlled environment, but I wouldn't trust them near other dogs. someone I know made that mistake when I was a kid. He took in a young dog, (this was not a pure bull breed btw but may have been a cross, I was very young so don't remember) who was not wanted by his "owner". This dog was fantastic around people, but not so good around other dogs. He worked hard with him, spent a lot of time trying to have him accept other dogs and it seemed to be working. He was there about 6 months in total when the new owner had them out (supervised) when this little black terror caught a hold of a JRT pup and shredded him. Poor baby :(

These people had dogs all their lives, a lot of them rescues, and had never seen an attack like this. He just wanted to kill him. Nothing they could do would make him let go of the pup. It was horrific.

Needless to say, I am a great believe in rehabilitation of these dogs but would always be very wary of them around others. Perhaps with professional help they might be ok but even with 30years experience that man had was not expecting what happened, or the sheer determination this dog had.

(the original owner of the dog was reported shortly after the second person acquired the dog which is why I'm so vague on who it happened to, you never know who might be reading, prob silly but to be on the safe side :o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

rehabilitation would suggest that the dogs could be introduced into any domestic environment and function as a normal domesticated pet. Not true. These dogs are trained from an early age to utilize their in built agressive tendencies. These instincts are inherent in every dog bred by man for a specific purpose. Most dogs such as pit bulls never are allowed to develop these natural characteristics. However once they are developed it is very difficult to get the dog to behave in a fashion completly alien to them. I have seen this with fox hounds even young hounds they find it very difficult to function as a pet in a household for the simple reason that they are bred to function within a group of hounds. Personally I would never be able to trust a figthing dog. So the notion of rehabilation is void

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Thank God the notion of rehabilation isn't void to these people.:mad:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/01/26/sports/s090134S37.DTL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dog fighting sickens me.

Im not going to elaborate on what i think of the bastards involved because i will breach all kinds of forum rules. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 lakes

Morganna wrote: »
    was he a tyrone player or fermanagh

tyrone man:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭lurchin along

obviously a "sport" involving more well off people. Not just thick headed little skangers which is what I would have always thought.
    Skangers they are but they have pocketfuls of cash and barrels full more in their caravans.Tipp Spca have tried to get pit fights raided(Cashel and Ballingarry are hot centres for the sport)but failed because so many gardai are involved the fight organisers were tipped off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

togster wrote: »
    rehabilitation would suggest that the dogs could be introduced into any domestic environment and function as a normal domesticated pet. Not true. These dogs are trained from an early age to utilize their in built agressive tendencies. These instincts are inherent in every dog bred by man for a specific purpose. Most dogs such as pit bulls never are allowed to develop these natural characteristics. However once they are developed it is very difficult to get the dog to behave in a fashion completly alien to them. I have seen this with fox hounds even young hounds they find it very difficult to function as a pet in a household for the simple reason that they are bred to function within a group of hounds. Personally I would never be able to trust a figthing dog. So the notion of rehabilation is void

I am sorry but I strongly disagree because I have sucessfully integrated many APBT with fighting backround into normal domestic settings. The most recent one is Nipper, the BBC dog ;). So your notion is void.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I wouldn't mind an ex-fighting dog as a pet as they seem to be people-friendly but I don't think I could trust one with another animal so it's not realistic for me, but it's nice to see an effort is being made to help them get back to normal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

kerrysgold wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind an ex-fighting dog as a pet as they seem to be people-friendly but I don't think I could trust one with another animal so it's not realistic for me, but it's nice to see an effort is being made to help them get back to normal!
    my staffordshire was from a dogs home and was used for fighting as i felt sorry for him as i new it was going to get put down on the day as he was not claimed for a week.So i asked the dog home owner if i could take him,they said id have to be careful because of his backround.i pleaded for him and eventually rehomed him myself.It was not a easy task as was nervous an i new quite a bit about these breeds and gave him all the attention he needed,walks,extra petting,as much food he needs,freedom in our back garden(no chains,collar,any thing that might upset him)That was four years ago and now hes a completely differant dog now.So rehoming ex-fighting dogs can be done if you know what to do.

that is a great story, lucky little fella. did he ever get on with other dogs again? it seems it can be done which is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

kerrysgold wrote: »
    that is a great story, lucky little fella. did he ever get on with other dogs again? it seems it can be done which is great.
    yes i got a male bulldog and took them about 2 months to settle down no bother:D

was he an ex-fighting dog? I've never heard of bulldogs being used for fighting but who knows. *shrug*

Advertisement