Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you vote?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭

I was having a conversation recently with some (male) friends and the subject of voting etc came up. They seemed to think that less women bothered voting. I honestly would have thought more women would take the time to vote so their opinion shocked me. I've had a look for some statistics on the breakdown of sexes in the electoral register but I haven't had much luck.

What do you think? Is voting important?

I would never ever miss an election or a ballot. I think it's so important, and after the suffrage movement I really can't understand why women especially don't vote.

A year or two ago I was doing a PR course. We were talking about voting as obviously for the course there was a good bit about politics and government. One of the girls in the class announced she never bothered to vote because she didn't care. I'd just read a biography of the pankhursts (it was excelelnt, btw) and was visibly shocked that a woman would not exercise her right to vote. The man sitting next to me who was doing the course with us had escaped frim Libya with his family. He turned to her (also with a shocked face) and said very quietly, in my country we weren't allowed to vote, the first day I voted in Ireland was the happiest day of my life. She didn't seem too perturbed by our reactions but I'll never forget it.

So ladies of boards, how important is it to you that you vote? I'm already taking steps to ensure I have a postal vote when I'm in NZ.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

watna wrote: »
    So ladies of boards, how important is it to you that you vote? I'm already taking steps to ensure I have a postal vote when I'm in NZ.

Very important for me - they wouldn't let me do postal vote while I was living in New York which really annoyed me. My Dad was big into voting - nothing about male or female right to vote or anything but he just felt that it was important for everyone to do it, made you feel part of the country - always stuck with me so made sure to reg once I could.

Its very mixed among my friends I'd say I've equal number of male and female friends who don't vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

I've voted in every election and referendum since I turned 18. I don't understand why people wouldn't vote. It's pretty much the only time we get a say in what happens in the running of our country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Update: You can only get a postal vote if you're in prison, a member of the defense forces, garda siochana or Irish Diplomatic Services. Wtf?

If other countries have postal votes, why can't we? I'm really not impressed.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Yup, make a point of it, for the same reason as Watna.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Yes I certainly do vote.

Women were not allowed to vote until 1928 in Ireland. This is only 80 years ago.

My opinion counts. I vote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

I vote, I know some of my friends don't because "they don't do politics", which is extremely annoying. I don't pretend to know everything, a lot of it I don't understand, but I make decisions on what I do know.
    I didn't vote in the last referendum though, I honestly couldn't choose, I even went around to the polling place, but I was so just so in the middle I decided against it. I regretted it instantly though, but still to this day, I don't know what I would have voted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe lots of Women don't like to talk about politics, or even care. They'd rather gabble on about their relationships or celebrities and their relationships. The only time they may vote is if they think the candidate is good looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

WindSock wrote: »
    Maybe lots of Women don't like to talk about politics, or even care. They'd rather gabble on about their relationships or celebrities and their relationships. The only time they may vote is if they think the candidate is good looking.

Ouch.

I can't say that the women who are my friends and family feel that way at all.
    Everything is politics, everything.

I've voted in every election and referendum since I turned 18.

The same here, it is not yet a 100 years from when women were given the vote and I make the time to cast my vote gratefully glad that I do have that right and in thanks to the women and men that worked to make it happen.

And I also make the point of bringing my kids with me and explain to them why it is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Update: You can only get a postal vote if you're in prison, a member of the defense forces, garda siochana or Irish Diplomatic Services. Wtf?

Are you sure thats true? I'm not too sure if it is... I know last year USI were going mad trying to register students for postal votes. It was a lot of work, and I'd no time so I didn't do it.

I've only had one chance to vote in an Irish election and I didn't vote because I was away from my constituency. I dunno if I'll vote for the Lisbon treaty as I've no idea what its about. I know its on me to find out, and I tried reading this booklet thing but it was really boring...

I too hate it when people give reasons like "I can't vote, I'm not on the registered list because I don't want to be called up for Jury Duty". Its worse still when they complain about the result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I have voted in every election bar the last one! I did not get included in the revised draft and i did not bother putting my name back on it cos we are never gonna get the FF'ers out of government!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

gcgirl wrote: »
    I have voted in every election bar the last one! I did not get included in the revised draft and i did not bother putting my name back on it cos we are never gonna get the FF'ers out of government!!

Well we certainly won't if people don't register and vote them out.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Well we certainly won't if people don't register and vote them out.

+1. This attitude annoys me.

Also, as thaedydal says, the women I'd be closest too (best friends, mum and aunt) are very interested in politics and we'd often talk about it.
    gubbie wrote: »
    Are you sure thats true? I'm not too sure if it is... I know last year USI were going mad trying to register students for postal votes. It was a lot of work, and I'd no time so I didn't do it.
    I too hate it when people give reasons like "I can't vote, I'm not on the registered list because I don't want to be called up for Jury Duty". Its worse still when they complain about the result.

Students can also be included for postal voting if they are living away from home for college. I think this is living away for college elsewhere in Ireland.

Moving away for a year or two does not allow you a postal vote. Was just discussing it with my mum and we're both going to email the TD we both voted for. I think it's disgraceful. I'm only going away for a year or two, I'm an Irish citizen and will be coming back. I think I should have a say in how the country is run.

I know the details of the referendum can be boring but you should do your best to find out what it's about. There's so much online. Think of it this way, I (apparently) can't vote while I'm away but you can, so you should... for me!

And that Jury duty excuse really annoys me too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Voting is something that is extremely important to me and I take a huge interest in politics. TBH, I loose respect alot of respect for a woman or man that doesn't vote. It is something to be treasured and was imo one of the best things about turning 18.
    At 23 I've only had a few chances to vote, but I'm gonna relish every one. I was brought up to really believe in your voice and democracy by my Mam who is an original feminist in the beautiful sense of the word. She remembers the tail end of the anti-women Irish legislation and she has educated me all my life to treasure what we had to fight for. I hope to be that role model for my own kids some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Moving away for a year or two does not allow you a postal vote. Was just discussing it with my mum and we're not both going to email the TD we both voted for. I think it's disgraceful. I'm only going away for a year or two, I'm an Irish citizen and will be coming back. I think I should have a say in how the country runs.

I went to college in new york and as such on all my visa papers etc it stated I was legally still a resident in Ireland while I was away but no chance of postal vote outside ireland unless your serving the irish government [army, diplomat etc] - my dad worked for the UN and was paid by the irish government but not employed by them so when he was away on a mission [which could last up to 3 years] he couldn't vote. He was very annoyed when he was in Kosovo as the irish army lads there got to vote and he didn't.

ztoical wrote: »
    I went to college in new york and as such on all my visa papers etc it stated I was legally still a resident in Ireland while I was away but no chance of postal vote outside ireland unless your serving the irish government [army, diplomat etc] - my dad worked for the UN and was paid by the irish government but not employed by them so when he was away on a mission [which could last up to 3 years] he couldn't vote. He was very annoyed when he was in Kosovo as the irish army lads there got to vote and he didn't.

I can see why he'd be so annoyed. I think the whole situation is ridiculous.

My dad is Welsh and we have a house over there in the village he's from. I'm on the electoral register and I got a postal vote for certain UK elections (but not all). I'm also entitled to an American postal vote (I'm an American citizen). I don't really want it. I want an Irish postal vote!

I suggest you also email your TD. It can't hurt!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I love voting.

I find policitics fascinating, and also believe that it is a citizen's responsibility to vote. There's too much said about what the gov/country should be doing for us,and not enough about our responsibilities as part of the populace. (cue rousing music and soundtrack of JFK 'ask not....' speech).

And, when i hear people complaining about the health service/etc who didn't bother themselves to vote i get very irate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Quality wrote: »
    Yes I certainly do vote.

Women were not allowed to vote until 1928 in Ireland. This is only 80 years ago.

1918. But only for women over 30
    In 1928, all women got it. But certainly most women could vote in 1918

micmclo wrote: »
    1918. But only for women over 30
    In 1928, all women got it. But certainly most women could vote in 1918

Its terrible to think that women did not have the same rights as men in those days. Also the fact that a woman had to be over 30!

My granny was born in the early 1900's. She always told us that even though she had her vote, her father always told them who to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I always vote. However my interest in politics fluctuates a lot.

At the moment, I'm really jaded or disinterested or something with whats going on in FF. Its been going on for years ffs, and the electorate are still yet to learn :( Anyway I've switched off from it for some reason.

edit: actually another thing, I have a very vague idea of the various political orientations in our family. Not because its something we dont discuss, but the older members just dont seem to reveal who they vote for. I actually believe that harks back to the treaty schism. weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Quality wrote: »

My granny was born in the early 1900's. She always told us that even though she had her vote, her father always told them who to vote for.

Secret ballot, she could of voted however she wanted and then lied to her father

• Advertisement

Secret ballot, she could of voted however she wanted and then lied to her father

True, but it's a real Irish thing to vote for a political party because you're family is FF or FG, rather than taking a proper look at the candidates and what they stand for. I've heard people my age (early 20s) say well my family is FF so I'm voting for them. It seems quite strange to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I always vote, the only time i haven't was when I had moved to Roscommon and my vote was still in Limerick and I wasn't able to get home to vote. I transferred my vote up here after that.

It really annoys me to hear people whinging about the government and then say they didn't bother voting in the last election because what good would it do?! :mad:

Call me cynical but I can't see the government bringing in postal voting any time soon, especially for students who are perhaps more likely to vote against the government. Nor will they hold elections/referenda on weekends when more of them will have an opportunity to travel home to use their vote. They say it's easy for them to transfer their vote, but changing it every time they move away to college and move home in the summer is a lot of hassle.

Good Irish catholic women would never lie to their fathers, especially republican fathers..

I always vote, the only time i haven't was when I had moved to Roscommon and my vote was still in Limerick and I wasn't able to get home to vote. I transferred my vote up here after that.

It really annoys me to hear people whinging about the government and then say they didn't bother voting in the last election because what good would it do?! :mad:

Call me cynical but I can't see the government bringing in postal voting any time soon, especially for students who are perhaps more likely to vote against the government. Nor will they hold elections/referenda on weekends when more of them will have an opportunity to travel home to use their vote. They say it's easy for them to transfer their vote, but changing it every time they move away to college and move home in the summer is a lot of hassle.

As I said above, Students already get postal votes.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/voting/registering-to-vote

even with a postal vote, i'm sure most of them don't bother, it probably isn't at the top of the list of priorities going back to college in September

even with a postal vote, i'm sure most of them don't bother, it probably isn't at the top of the list of priorities going back to college in September

That's a good point, they're probably not inclined to bother. I wonder do students unions make much of an effort to get students to get postal votes? I don't remember seeing anything when I was in college.

That's a good point, they're probably not inclined to bother. I wonder do students unions make much of an effort to get students to get postal votes? I don't remember seeing anything when I was in college.

There was a bit of publicity for voting and registering for postal votes when I was in UL, but often the case say that an election was called in May so it was way too late to apply for the postal vote as the closing date is in November, and it clashed with exams.

last year's general election is a good example of that. It was called in April (too late for the postal vote) and it was on the last week of May so every student in the country had exams on and couldn't return home. god knows what the student population of the country is that couldn't vote even if they wanted to.

I also think it's not just about voting for a particular political party if you vote like your family, I think some people prefer to vote for people they know, have heard of, are familiar with the work they do in the community. First time I voted in Roscommon I hadn't a clue who any of the people were or what they did locally. So I think a lot of students lose out by not having the postal vote and then not transferring their vote either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

True, but it's a real Irish thing to vote for a political party because you're family is FF or FG, rather than taking a proper look at the candidates and what they stand for. I've heard people my age (early 20s) say well my family is FF so I'm voting for them. It seems quite strange to me.

My parents always had the view that they would keep their opinions to themselves so we could make up our own minds when we got older, they did that with their religious beliefs too. I remember as a kid asking who they voted for and they wouldn't tell me. Even still though, it turns out our beliefs are similar in most things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Last year there was one day in between when they announced the day of voting and for when the deadline for postal applications closed. That gave people only one day to go in fax there local county council office as proof of address,get the fax sent back up to Dublin,get a letter from your college saying your studying and send that to your local couny council office and the constituentcy you want to vote in. It was a huge amount of hassle and as so many were busy with exams they didnt bother doing it.
    Why there isnt Saturday voting in this day and age is just ridiculous.It would suit everyone,studnets and workers alike.

I didnt vote in last years elections because I was away in college but I voted in the local and european ones before that.However in west Limerick there was only ff and fg corrupt politicans to vote for so I just spoiled my vote. I will defiantly vote no to Lisbon this June and have changed my vote from Limerick to Dublin. I know a lot of my friends dont vote because theres noone worth voting for and those who do vote have a family allegaince to either ff or fg,Silly really.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

One of the girls in the class announced she never bothered to vote because she didn't care.

Ignorance on that scale always astounds me.
    The man sitting next to me who was doing the course with us had escaped frim Libya with his family. He turned to her (also with a shocked face) and said very quietly, in my country we weren't allowed to vote, the first day I voted in Ireland was the happiest day of my life. She didn't seem too perturbed by our reactions but I'll never forget it.

During an election, I am mindful of the people around the world who have died in order to better their country and gain the right to vote.
    I always vote. I cannot complain about the state of my country if I haven't.

Advertisement