Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda band

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Hey.

I did a few gigs with the Garda band years ago, so I'm not a first hand source I'm afraid.

From what I remember, you don't do Garda training at Templemore if you get into the band. You wear the uniform, but no warrant card. Pay is the same, but I doubt there's overtime!

Money is good, and if you've been in marching bands, you know the drill. I can only guess that it's an easy number - if you're good at what you do that is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

Thanks.

I didn't realise it's actually a full time job to be honest with you.

Pity, loved being in the marching band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 remmurts

Maybe things have changed in the last few years...

I knew a few people in the Garda Band. Some had come from the regular force, had auditioned and transfered into a handy musical number !!!

Others had answered an ad for direct recruitment into the band.

All were attested members of the Gardai. All had ID/Warrant cards.

In fact, all of them were regularly shagged back down to Store Street during the Christmas shopping season to walk a beat and bump up the numbers on foot patrol.

If I'm not mistaken didn't the band also get stuck in during the riot at Lansdowne Road in 1995? Nothing like beating someone over the head with a tuba, eh? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

remmurts wrote: »
    Maybe things have changed in the last few years...

I knew a few people in the Garda Band. Some had come from the regular force, had auditioned and transfered into a handy musical number !!!

Others had answered an ad for direct recruitment into the band.

All were attested members of the Gardai. All had ID/Warrant cards.

In fact, all of them were regularly shagged back down to Store Street during the Christmas shopping season to walk a beat and bump up the numbers on foot patrol.

If I'm not mistaken didn't the band also get stuck in during the riot at Lansdowne Road in 1995? Nothing like beating someone over the head with a tuba, eh? :eek:
    ha ha ha, havent seen them walking tbh but it hasnt changed, they have id badges and powers. They do a month in Templemore but not with the regular recruits.

Advertisement