Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the sociocultural significance of West side story

Options
  • 03-04-2008 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Does this exist? Or is it just a musical...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Now that's an assignment if ever I saw one. Part of your MA in Musical theatre?

Stop cheating and do your own work!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 AbitDramatic

Lol:D

Want to swap assignments?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautiful

Totally! Im writing stuff on that topic and Im trying to get other peoples points of views instead of just taking what musical theatre students/lecturers/professors have to say...
    ...care to share your opinions?

Some thoughts then:

Was the sociocultural significance of WSS any different from that of Romeo and Juliet?

Looking at the time WSS was put together, what were the demographics of New York?

Are you looking at the film or the show?

What is the background of the team who put the show together - Sondheim, Laurents and Bernstein. Did their ethinic origin influence the angle of the story?

Why Puerto Rican, why not African or Asian Americans? Why Polish? Why not Irish or Italian or many others?

What about the extra marital sex - Maria is supposedly a devout catholic?

And my favourite curiosity about WSS - what happened next? Maria is still alive and potentially pregnant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 beautiful

Love your last question...is she preggers? haha

Cheers for all the extra ideas...im looking at both the cinematic and theatrical forms, 4000 words here I come!

• Advertisement

Glad to help. WSS is one of my all time favourites! And the what happened next is always a way to distract yourself when you're bored. I have a couple of potential outcomes worked out during weddings, meetings, traffic jams...anytime I'm bored really!

Advertisement