Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Show us your cv

• 03-04-2008 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭

:D

Just curious. How many actual d.js do we have here? Now i dont mean bedroom dj's. I'm talking about you lads who have a regular spot (or at least on occasions) in a nightclub or radio station.

Me, i'm just a nobody bedroom mixer who still buys vinyl every few days. So it's more of a hobby for me now to keep my ipod up to date :). I did play in a nightclub in Dun laoghaire back around 96/97 and had a bit of a slot on 2 pirate radio stations. Hits106 (was after the DLR days) and i can barely remember the other one. I think it was called electric fm or something like that. Great times all the same.

So what about ya?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Nah not me mate same as yourself was always a bedroom dj, Played a few massive partys back in the day but i was always more of a raver than DJ.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Prefabsprouter

Yeah I do a regular slot in Blackrock most Saturdays so I suppose that makes me a DJ!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

First regular gig back in '86 doing the anarchy night cafe, wednesday nights in Sides, (mainly punk and indie music) then onto the UFO in UCD '89, started playing acid house, moved to the rock garden then powers hotel then columbia mills.
    Gigged all over the place in Ireland, couple of gigs in the uk and the US, usual stuff like homelands, creamfields and wittness
    Did loads of pirates including sunset back in the early daze, released a mix CD in 1996, sold 1000 copies of it
    Gave up in 2001, though i still do old skool nights
    Thats the stuff i can remember, the 1990's are a bit foggy!

Francois, you know that Powers Hotel has opened a new club there. Its called club Gr80's and they are looking to bring back the slow set!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

Francois, you know that Powers Hotel has opened a new club there. Its called club Gr80's and they are looking to bring back the slow set!!! :)

Ha, I remember doing a night there and in the lobby of the hotel were a load of lads, tops off pumping sweat and massaging each other as a coachload of yanks were booking in, fookin priceless looks on their faces :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

francois wrote: »
    First regular gig back in '86 doing the anarchy night cafe, wednesday nights in Sides, (mainly punk and indie music) then onto the UFO in UCD '89, started playing acid house, moved to the rock garden then powers hotel then columbia mills.
    Gigged all over the place in Ireland, couple of gigs in the uk and the US, usual stuff like homelands, creamfields and wittness
    Did loads of pirates including sunset back in the early daze, released a mix CD in 1996, sold 1000 copies of it
    Gave up in 2001, though i still do old skool nights
    Thats the stuff i can remember, the 1990's are a bit foggy!

ah Francois, I thought your list would have gone for about 2 pages at least ;)

Francois,dunno how many times ive lost the plot in the Waterfront/Columbia Mills when you were playing on Friday nites...jaysus mad times indeed (and proper yokes) :o:D

francois wrote: »
    Ha, I remember doing a night there and in the lobby of the hotel were a load of lads, tops off pumping sweat and massaging each other as a coachload of yanks were booking in, fookin priceless looks on their faces :D

hahahahaha:D:D:D

LOL!! Briliant!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

I played downstairs in spirit 3 times last year, played in Traffic once, we also had a little thing going in the legal eagle last year but stopped.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

Worked extensively all over the UK. Disco & Karaoke, have been here for 2 years and now play regulary at The Strand House, Joe May's Skerries, Shags Skerries, and other venues out that way! I used to do all the parties at Tommy Bahamas before it closed.

I have professional equipment & software. Yes I AM a digital DJ, so I expect the usual 'Ah but how do you get the origianl scratching sound?' Well I don't I do mainly birthdays and they don't really care, they just want to bop to the usual party songs like amarillo, jive bunny, grease etc!

I also have done wedding more in the UK than here, and I am still trying to get used to how you do them here! Much better, people enjoy themselves more. I have even done a divource party!, as well as Xmas, Christenings, and retirement gigs.

So yes I am a professional DJ, but not one of the hardcore mixing ones! :cool: Oh and I'm 42 this year! :eek:

DJ Spider

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Well mine is pretty straight forward... roughly 20 years collecting electronic music of all sorts and got my decks then about 14 years ago. Played the odd party and never once sent a demo anywhere to try play out at clubs etc. Dunno why but was never happy with any mix I put together - any mistake in the mixing and it got fcked out :pac: Maybe I should try again now as an 'older' DJ :D

I remember also American tourists in the Temple of Sound when they had the all the lobby area etc open on special event nights, New Years and the like. There was one night where there were guys banging away on bongos in the lobby and all heads wandering around mad-out-of-it :pac: and American tourists checking in at reception :D Actually there were a couple of lads back then that ran a dance magazine and took pictures/interviewed us in the lobby that night, would love to see that article :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

evenin'...

i do a weekly show on powerfm (www.powerfm.org) on fridays - have been on power for 2 years, on nova for 2 years before that and on good old jazz fm prior to that!

i've dj'd in many venues across dublin, from tripod/redbox, pod, dakota, metropolitan, river club, to name a few. i've also played at the fringe fest in the spiegeltent, at farmleigh house, played alongside the fvf crew at the infamous "warehouse shoot" and the "midnight picnic" raves at electric picnic - and holding down a residency for quite a while in diep noodle bar in ranelagh! :)

prior to ireland i dj'd in UK for a long time, working with mean fiddler group, holding down residencies at venues across london for 3-4 years. i've dj'd 3-4 times over in poland and canada, and countless house parties!

da wiseguy wrote: »
    evenin'...

i do a weekly show on powerfm (www.powerfm.org) on fridays - have been on power for 2 years, on nova for 2 years before that and on good old jazz fm prior to that!

i've dj'd in many venues across dublin, from tripod/redbox, pod, dakota, metropolitan, river club, to name a few. i've also played at the fringe fest in the spiegeltent, at farmleigh house, played alongside the fvf crew at the infamous "warehouse shoot" and the "midnight picnic" raves at electric picnic - and holding down a residency for quite a while in diep noodle bar in ranelagh! :)

prior to ireland i dj'd in UK for a long time, working with mean fiddler group, holding down residencies at venues across london for 3-4 years. i've dj'd 3-4 times over in poland and canada, and countless house parties!

I completely forgot to call you back a few weeks ago... I had just got off a plane when I picked up your message and had intended calling you from the car! Who am I? :D Think, toner for a printer? :pac: Apologies, been a mad few weeks with new baby etc.

Welcome to boards :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

well i never! fancy meeting you here :rolleyes:

ahh no worries dude - knew the baba was on the way so it's all good. hopefully all is well with you and the missus and the new addition.

all good this end - busy busy - no word back from our friends in sweden yet though, the rotters ;)

big all day rave happening on may 17th in meath somewhere....yours truly is dj'ing at it, 3pm till 3am...should be savage! it's not a "public" event though, need to email plugmembersclub@gmail.com to register etc. if you are free, and fancy it!

Felixdhc wrote: »
    I completely forgot to call you back a few weeks ago... I had just got off a plane when I picked up your message and had intended calling you from the car! Who am I? :D Think, toner for a printer? :pac: Apologies, been a mad few weeks with new baby etc.

Welcome to boards :pac:

Nice one Felix congrats mate:)

da wiseguy wrote: »
    well i never! fancy meeting you here :rolleyes:

ahh no worries dude - knew the baba was on the way so it's all good. hopefully all is well with you and the missus and the new addition.

all good this end - busy busy - no word back from our friends in sweden yet though, the rotters ;)

big all day rave happening on may 17th in meath somewhere....yours truly is dj'ing at it, 3pm till 3am...should be savage! it's not a "public" event though, need to email plugmembersclub@gmail.com to register etc. if you are free, and fancy it!

All doing well, cheers. :)

Not surprised about that lot in Sweden, arogant shower of t*ts to be honest :pac:

Doubt I'll make it to that in May but will certainly try! Need a day off :pac:
    jonny68 wrote: »
    Nice one Felix congrats mate:)

Cheers Jonny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

played in escape in the temple a few times

also played big dish go, dui, various tbmc gigs, and then a few farty other yokes here and there

had a guest mix on spin, and a few on bryan kearneys shows on various stations (kiss/energy) round 02/03ish

thats pretty much it, dont dj any more. bigdishgo was my last ever gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Helix wrote: »
    played in escape in the temple a few times

also played big dish go, dui, various tbmc gigs, and then a few farty other yokes here and there

had a guest mix on spin, and a few on bryan kearneys shows on various stations (kiss/energy) round 02/03ish

thats pretty much it, dont dj any more. bigdishgo was my last ever gig

It's weird (or maybe not), but I just CAN'T imagine ever NOT DJing in some capacity..... and I mean ever! Maybe things will change someday but I hope not, and I doubt it. :cool:

tbh once i got into production properly djing bored me out of my mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

10 years ago (May 1998) is when I got my break while I was in NUI Maynooth. I was its resident for 2.5 years after that. At the same time, I got a spot in the Leinster Arms on Sunday nights, and started into weddings and parties too. I also got a warm-up gig in the Bridge House ('Stringfellows' as the nightclub there was then called) on Thursday and Saturday nights.

As things progressed, I got a residency on Thursday nights in the Viper Room in Dublin, Friday & Sunday nights in Maynooth, and eventually Saturday nights in Club Le Louvre in Mullingar. Also, between 2002 and 2004, I co-presented Whacky Saturday on CKR FM Saturday mornings.

Later, I got a Thursday night residency in the Bridge House (now the nightclub is called 'The Core'), still got my Saturday nights in Club le Louvre, still do weddings and parties in between all around the country, and also got my own radio show called Strictly Retro on Midlands 103 Monday to Wednesday since November 2007.

Spots I have also played in during the last 7 years include Club Diva (Dublin), Rapture (Enfield), The Tower/Foundary (Carlow), and almost got a spot in the Temple Theater (Dublin) upon sbmitting a mix CD to do few warm up gigs.

Also got a couple of CD's produced and sold around Tullamore (close to where I have lived for the last 4 years). I have a few MP3's of them posted up here before, I must look them up again...

Seanie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

played in:

Switch, the Hub, Temple Bar Music Centre, Spirit, Mono, Rogue, Handels, Traffic, McGruders, The Zoo (Belgium) Café Napoleon (Belgium) Feenix (Holland)

Done regular guest appearances on Power FM, host a weekly show on Radio na Life myself.

Biggest crowd i ever played to was as many as fit in to a packed TBMC

Have a few nice little bookings lined up for the next few months - going to be a pretty busy summer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

played in:

The Zoo (Belgium) Café Napoleon (Belgium)

hey man how come you played in "Zoo"? It s right where i come from!
    Did you enjoy it?

haha you're from hasselt?

i used to travel to hasselt to buy records when i lived in holland - some guy called Lowdown and his girlfriend Lady Lite used to run a feckin amazig record shop called Illtown there, i used to go to a lot of gigs they did and played early on in the evening one time i was there! nice little venue! some really really cool people around those parts as well; Oxidiser, Panzer, Luc Skywalker, Ladylite, Mary Jane, D.O.C. and all the Breakz.be heads are lovely people altogether, as are the guys who do T'Hof van Commercie (i think)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭sur_1_nuage

OOPS, nope i m not from Hasselt but Doornik on the other side of the country!
    there is a club called "Zoo" as well. Anyway I was a little surprised as i kinda got that you were into Breaks and this club spins house! :D;)

i loved hasselt when i was over for pukkelpop, didnt know there were any decent clubs there

not just clubs, there used to be a fecking AWESOME record shop there that these two chicks owned... seriously, the best stocked record shop i've ever seen in a town of maybe forty-odd thousand people!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Full time DJ current residencies Monday and Thursday in Drogheda.
    Friday Kilkenny
    Saturday Blackrock
    Sunday Glasnevin Dublin
    Started doing gigs in 97/98 mobiles etc...
    Radio wise started on pulsefm 103 summer of 98 or 99 then worked on ESG/GALAXY.
    First legal gig fm104 then at the same time was presenter on CKR in Carlow.

I dont do any radio anymore not really bothered just stuck to the djing playing crap music (mostly) to the masses.
    Pays the bills but social lifepays :( my weekend is tuesday and wednesday lol

Advertisement