Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on keeping a single dog

Options
  • 03-04-2008 6:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭

I really want to get a dog, but I don't know how it would cope on its own all day while myself and my partner are at work. There must be people who leave their dogs alone all day? Are there certain breeds of dog which are happy on their own and can sleep all day and not pine? We have a communal garden with our house at the moment so it couldn't stay out there all day, it would have to stay indoors until we got home. because of this, a cat is a far better idea, but I'm more of a dog person really. I don't want to get one and be unknowingly cruel to it though. but then again I know there are people who keep dogs in apartments, so I know it is possible to keep a dog indoors. We would be with it all evening and all weekend and we'd be able to exercise it a lot because we have a huge park next to our house as well.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Well, if you were getting a dog from the pound, they would be used to being on their own most of the day anyway. What about a greyhound? They actually don't need lots of walking and they are very chilled out little fellas. If ever anything happens to my two, I think I'll take the greyhound route. And the added bonus is theres lots of folks on here who have re-homed them and can give you loads of advice!:) Good Luck with it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

I have two greyhounds, and even at that I wouldn't be happy leaving them at home all day alone, even with two! Just because they're relatively quiet and not 'in your face' all the time, it doesn't mean that they don't crave human companionship. Dogs (no matter what the breed) are social by nature, and spending that much time alone could be detrimental. BTW, the people who leave their dogs alone all day probably own the yappy mutt up the road that drives everyone bonkers all day, there's one in every housing estate! I think you should really re-consider getting a dog until you can provide it with the stimulation / companionship it needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Ruby Soho wrote: »
    I have two greyhounds, and even at that I wouldn't be happy leaving them at home all day alone, even with two! Just because they're relatively quiet and not 'in your face' all the time, it doesn't mean that they don't crave human companionship. Dogs (no matter what the breed) are social by nature, and spending that much time alone could be detrimental. BTW, the people who leave their dogs alone all day probably own the yappy mutt up the road that drives everyone bonkers all day, there's one in every housing estate! I think you should really re-consider getting a dog until you can provide it with the stimulation / companionship it needs.
    +1

You'll find that people who keep dogs in apartments have either hired a dog walker to come in during the day or are able to pop home at lunchtime themselves. Would you really expect any dog to cross its legs from say 8.30am til 5.30pm?? I don't think so!! Back to the greyhound thing too, my guys are perfectly happy and willing to go on 10 mile hikes up mountains in the rain, they are not happy loafing around watching telly all day! Just because they don't necessarily need long walks, doesn't mean that they don't love them!! They should never be acquired on the basis of 'they don't need any exercise'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

thanks guys, but I definitely do not want a greyhound, so no point in arguing about that here!

I'd be easily able to pop home for lunch too.

We have been considering a cat too, which would be more suitable, but I still want to look into dogs as well. I'd also think about getting 2 if they'd be happier that way.

• Advertisement

Personally I think a cat would be much more suitable. But if you wanted to get a dog, would you consider getting an older, well adjusted chap from a rescue centre? It would be a far easier lifestyle for an older dog than a young pup (who would need a lot more attention / time). What kind of dogs do you like?? Theres no point asking people to recommend a specific breed, there aren't many who have been designed to sit at home alone for the majority of the day!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Beks

I'd definitely consider rehoming a dog/cat from a rescue centre - in fact we're off to the DSPCA on Sunday to have a look at some. I rang them today because we found the perfect cat on their site but it had already been rehomed. They must get so many so I reckon it's just easier to go up there and look instead of relying on their website and getting disappointed. I want an older dog anyway, I'm not sure what age, not TOO old though, I still want to be able to play with it a lot and take it on long walks. And it would also be house trained already!

I like a lot of dogs - pugs, staffies, boxers, jack russels, or anything really - I guess I'll just know when I see the one :)

Hmmmm, I have a friend who has a 5 year old boxer, and I quote "he walks 5 miles a day and still has the energy to pull the clothes off the washing line". Staffies now, have you HEARD the noise that these guys can make??? And I love staffies...The quietest on your list is probably a pug, but for weekend walking / exercise purposes, probably fairly useless. I think a cat would be a wise choice!!! Cats are great fun, id love one but my greyhounds would like it even more unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I think 2 dogs would be best, just because greyhounds are calm I wouldn't leave one alone all day, they are dogs afterall just like other breeds.

have you tried rescues that may have a pair of dogs that are already friends looking for a home together? all the dogs you listed are pretty high energy breeds, not sure about the pugs, don't think they are very hyper but I think you'd probably be waiting a while for one to come into rescue :/ there are tons of mixtures though, ever dog is different. there are lots of beautiful collie, gsd and lab mixes etc.
    most dogs need around an hours walk a day and you could take them somewhere different for a change of scenery at the weekend and maybe to run around and play off-lead (if they have good re-call!) like the woods or the beach. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A pair or three of fours dogs together isnt going to make a blind bit of difference if the owner isnt around sure dogs are company for each other if they get on well but at the end of the day they want their owner also 2 means more walks if they are not manageable together. Dont get me wrong I have two dogs but dogs especially care if you are not there cats do too but if they are well bonded with each other they cope better than dogs at being left. So a pair of indoor cats might be better for you.

However a well adjusted dog should have no problem contact local rescues and see if they can match the right dog to you and vice versa. Coming home for lunch will make a difference.

I live in the countryside ok have a very large garden/mini field but wish we had a park like you have we only have a road here thats not the safest to walk on so in a way you have a better set up than us.

Plenty of dogs out there that would appreciate a warm home with walks in the evening (a short gander in the morning is no harm) and extra long walks on the weekends sure beats being in a pound or even in a rescue where although very well looked after its hard to give a dog the attention it would get in a home.

Just be sure to have the right dog matched to your homelife, there are often dogs who have come from homes just like yours and their reason for rehoming is a new baby or owners are moving but the dog could already be used to that kind of routine.

There are so many dogs and rescues all around the country too so dont be afraid to look beyond local rescues if you cant find one there. Check out irishanimals.ie for a huge list of rescues the dogs have a little write up about them and usually photos too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There's so much bull about regarding the keeping of a single dog. I have always had dogs (40+ years) but always one at a time. If the dog has sufficient range in its run and knows you'll be home in the afternoon then it is quite happy - particularly because it gets lots of excercise and play with us when we are home. All our dogs have been happy and healthty (last one was a rough collie who lived to be 18 years old). If you want A dog and will treat it well then go for it and enjoy your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

Have to agree with you there.
    We got a lovely dog from PAWs and she is very happy in our home
    When we head off in the mornings to work she gets into her bed or jumps up on the chair.
    I get home at lunchtime to let her out the back for a wee but sometimes she doesn't bother going out.
    When we get home in the evening she gets a nice long walk and play.

Surely its better for her to have a loving home that spend her life in a shelter.

Rescue a dog and give it lots of love and it will love you back.:)

Advertisement