Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else having problem with An Post

Options
  • 03-04-2008 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

Lately its been taking ages for post to get to me and a few items have gotten lost in the post. I got a letter last monday (31st of March). The stamp on it had been franked on the 24th (took a week for a letter to get from Wexford to Dublin). Other stuff I ordered off the internet is taking ages to arrive.

And its not just me. A friend has had his motor insurance disc lost in the post twice and another posted his no claims cert ot the company I work for in order to get a disc issued and it took over 2 weeks (was posted in Dublin to an office in Dublin).

Anyone else been having any problems??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭boomer_ie

All the time!

Have had several important bits of paperwork go missing and allegedly cheques to pay for services rendered (Its in the post is a common comment when looking for overdue invoices :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary lately. Ordered a game on play.com on Saturday, it shipped Sunday and actually arrived today, so that was even faster than normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Yep Me too, I post paperwork and timesheets to the office everyweek and over the course of six weeks two of them never showed up at all.
    Have to register them now to ensure they arrive.
    And Stuff posted to me from Dublin is taking a week and sometimes more to arrive in Galway.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

No issues either.

For some reason my post is nearly always next day delivery (despite the national statistics) - a package arrived this morning posted in Limerick yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

My tax return took 5 weeks to reach my accountant from Kildare Street, Dublin 2, to Eyre Square in Galway. If I'd hired a carrier pidgeon and got it to fly the return to Galway one page at a time- it'd have gotten there more quickly. Also- as the originals of documents were all required I ended up having to try to replace them, which believe you me was a massive headache.

What the hell is the story with An Post?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Yep, there's been a couple of threads about this lately. I've had three separate letters addressed to people with the same number but a different street arrive through my letter box, dropped them around myself. Then a woman called one night to deliver something clearly addressed to me which had been delivered incorrectly to her. When I opened it, turned out to be my TV license reminder from An Post. So they can't even deliver their own mail properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Electric

I haven't had any issues with stuff not showing or taking forever to deliver. Mostly it with registered stuff lately it seems they not even bothered looking for a signature they just shove the collection receipt in the door.

Like on Monday just as we were heading out the door for work the post arrives with a collection notice so we go after the postman to get it (he didn't even ring the doorbell or knock!) but he says we'll have to go to the delivery office to pick it up. He hadn't brought it with him at all! So annoying because the hours for the delivery offices are crap and if you don't collect stuff within 3 days it's returned to sender.

When I went to pick it up there were loads of people there and the girl at the top of the queue was going mental because they had worked out the 3 days wrong and sent her stuff back early!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

Yeah me too, for quite a while now.
    Have noticed lately that the postman has taken to leaving my home shopping packages at the front door, what's that about? I can see it leading to issues whereby i dont get a parcel but end up having to pay for it thanks to my flippin postman.
    Im waiting on a parcel at present, which i am hoping will fit through the letterbox, once i get that i might email the company and warn them that an post are practically dumping their deliveries!!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Electric wrote: »
    So annoying because the hours for the delivery offices are crap and if you don't collect stuff within 3 days it's returned to sender.!

The hours are crap. We're lucky cause our local gaff opens up at 6.30am..

However you can post back the form and get the parcel re-delivered to work or a neighbour - it can save you a bit of grief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've had awful trouble with them of late.

I had a letter arrive from the states to cork in 4 days. The same letter took 9 days to make it from cork to dublin.

I deliver post internally in a place too and I've seen things just within dublin take 4 days to go less than a mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭rameire

i think the freebee packs are taking there toll lately,
    i went into the post office to get a guinness pack that i got a note for in the letter box, and inside the office they had another 20 or 30 packs on the floor,
    i am also finding, packages either going missing or being opened,

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

I haven't had any issues with stuff not showing or taking forever to deliver. Mostly it with registered stuff lately it seems they not even bothered looking for a signature they just shove the collection receipt in the door.

yip, this has happened to me too. Must actually complain next time it happens, as it completely defeats the purpose of registered post which we pay the earth for

parsi wrote: »

However you can post back the form and get the parcel re-delivered to work or a neighbour - it can save you a bit of grief.

If they would send it to the delivery office nearest the house it would be fine as it's only down the road but more often that not they send stuff to Kilbarrack or other random places.

At this stage I'm so fed up that whenever I order stuff onine I get it sent to work. Much much easier!!!

At this stage I'm so fed up that whenever I order stuff onine I get it sent to work. Much much easier!!!

Ditto- though the porters and postal folk want to murder me in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

I'm actually waiting on cheques posted and thought that the customer might be being a bit funny ... its over a week and a half now ... and its only a couple of miles away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

smccarrick wrote: »

me too, they don't mind books or small ebay items but I think the huge coin counter I ordered might have made me very unpopular :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

parsi wrote: »

surely they'd lose it :)

they issued me a receipt for a wii game from the uk and
    when I went to collect they hadn't got it so I had to wait
    until the sender received it back.
    cost me a fiver to arrange payment again.

smccarrick wrote: »

Ahhh see this is where the very nice box of chocolates at Christmas comes in. It smooths everything over!

me too, they don't mind books or small ebay items but I think the huge coin counter I ordered might have made me very unpopular :D

It was 16 lbs of jelly belly- bellyflops that got me in their bad books. That and a sack of secondhand scifi books from Alibris. Still a 2lb bag of Jelly Beans did help smooth things over somewhat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I gave my postman a tenner the last time I seen him.

It's good to be guilty when buying online ,it slows the spending:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

is it because An Post are using outside contractors to distribute mail around the country?

these "white van" people are also collecting post from many post boxes dotted around towns all over the country and i wonder how much care they take with the post?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 deputy

A friend posted a gift card with cash enclosed (unfortunately).

I regularly receive mail from her, however, this card hasn't showed up - 1 week later. Galway Dublin usually takes 2 days. Nothing ever went missing before - however, she never sent cash before!

I can't help suspect that this card was targeted.
    However, having read some of the posts above maybe it's just an unfortunate co-incidence?
    Has anyone else had suspicions that mail is targeted?

deputy wrote: »
    A friend posted a gift card with cash enclosed (unfortunately).

I regularly receive mail from her, however, this card hasn't showed up - 1 week later. Galway Dublin usually takes 2 days. Nothing ever went missing before - however, she never sent cash before!

I can't help suspect that this card was targeted.
    However, having read some of the posts above maybe it's just an unfortunate co-incidence?
    Has anyone else had suspicions that mail is targeted?

there was a time you could safely send cash in the post although it was never condoned by p&t or an post but i would suspect that some post especially if it looks like birthday cards or anything that might have a credit card inside is targeted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    is it because An Post are using outside contractors to distribute mail around the country?

these "white van" people are also collecting post from many post boxes dotted around towns all over the country and i wonder how much care they take with the post?

Are these contractors? i thought they were just vans not painted, leased or whatever? are the ntl white vans contractors? easily recognisable with the purple number on the side

davton wrote: »
    Are these contractors? i thought they were just vans not painted, leased or whatever? are the ntl white vans contractors? easily recognisable with the purple number on the side
    yes An Post use contractors for collecting post from postboxes and also for distribution between sorting centres etc and not sure about ntl but would have thought if they were part of ntl the name would be emblazoned on the vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

foggy_lad wrote: »
    yes An Post use contractors for collecting post from postboxes and also for distribution between sorting centres etc and not sure about ntl but would have thought if they were part of ntl the name would be emblazoned on the vans?

didn't know about the anpost side of it, i knew about gls etc but not that side of it. Ye the ntl ones don't have any marking on them, just a purple oval with a white number written in it. their is loads in the city, normally small like Peugeot partner size. Unless its one huge contractor working for them, im not 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

Our postal service is becoming a joke. We get letters a week after they are postmarked. Sometimes we get all the weeks post on a thursday or friday.

At least once a month i get letters in my letterbox for addresses nowhere near and not even a distant similarity between the addresses. At least twice a month i get letters posted to the neighbours houses. How is number 1 mistaken for number 8 or number 5?

And a few months ago i got a registered letter left in my letterbox for someone living in an estate down the road.

And we are missing letters we know were posted to us but never arrived. Sometimes the neighbours bringg us our letters correctly addressed but delivered to their houses.

I have asked in the local post office about this and they dont seem to give a damn at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Well looks like these issues in some Dublin areas are being caused by bloody industrial dispute: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0414/post.html I live in the South Dublin area and have had loads of delays receiving post the last couple of weeks - but yet they keep quiet about it til it reaches disaster proportions - and are now telling people not to send stuff?? What's next, get everyone to use carrier pigeons?? It's a bloody joke is what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

jmcwobbles wrote: »
    Well looks like these issues in some Dublin areas are being caused by bloody industrial dispute: http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0414/post.html I live in the South Dublin area and have had loads of delays receiving post the last couple of weeks - but yet they keep quiet about it til it reaches disaster proportions - and are now telling people not to send stuff?? What's next, get everyone to use carrier pigeons?? It's a bloody joke is what it is

Our post has been rubbish for about 3 years now. So i think its the general service rather than disputes tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭jmcwobbles

Yeah does sound like your service is pants alright - but I've never had any problems with the post until the last few weeks, which is definitely being caused by this dispute.

Advertisement