Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoothies

• 03-04-2008 6:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

So what recipes/ideas would people recommend. Need some good one's before Saturday (the oul wan's shopping day).:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Anyone?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Ocean Fresh Cranberry juice and add a banana, blueberries, strawberries.
    Or just go out and buy a litre of Innocent smoothie. Nice stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Planet X wrote: »
    Ocean Fresh Cranberry juice and add a banana, blueberries, strawberries.
    Or just go out and buy a litre of Innocent smoothie. Nice stuff.

Cheers, I'll give that a try. As for the Innocent smoothie they're a full on rip-off.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

You'd be hard pushed to produce a smoothie with the stuff that goes into an Innocent at this time of year, as in seasonal fruits.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I got the Innocent recipe book and it's actually almost as cheap to buy the ready-made cartons as to make them. Take the mango & passionfruit one: £3 for a litre. To make one smoothie, you needed a mango (averaged about 80p, went up to £1.50 for good ones), a passionfruit (about 50p), half a banana (cheap enough), orange juice* (~£2 for Tropicana) and apple juice* (~£3 for fresh Copella stuff).

*You're actually supposed to juice your own apples and oranges, but then I'd have had to buy a juicer.

All in all, it cost about £2 to make a pint of the stuff, so it's actually worth it buying them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

orange juice* (~£2 for Tropicana) and apple juice* (~£3 for fresh Copella stuff).

*You're actually supposed to juice your own apples and oranges, but then I'd have had to buy a juicer.

Use LIDL Orange Juice and Apple Juice. Buy a pineapple, bananas and some strawberries (irish ones out now, look out for Special offers), from grocers.

Also, you don't have to have OJ and AJ in cartons. Just buy apples and oranges cheaply. They will make up more bulk than juice.

It seems to me that any amount of blackberries can turn the smoothie purple, making it look expensive.

There is a man in Navan town who sells fruit and veg on the street. He is very reasonably priced. Does a good deal on bulk. I know you may not live in Navan, but if you see anyone similar in your area check them out.

I make a lot of smoothies as its hard to get our son(2 1/2yrs) to eat veg, fruits are good substitute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

My favourite breakfast smoothie:

1 banana
    Large handful frozen raspberries (much cheaper than fresh)
    1 pot Glenisk yoghurt
    Some orange juice
    Squeeze of honey
    Tablespoon of oats

Blend, eat. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Use LIDL Orange Juice and Apple Juice. Buy a pineapple, bananas and some strawberries (irish ones out now, look out for Special offers), from grocers.

Also, you don't have to have OJ and AJ in cartons. Just buy apples and oranges cheaply. They will make up more bulk than juice.

Trust me, using concentrated juice is awful in smoothies. Not only is it FULL of sugar with only a vague memory of being a fruit, it tastes like cack too, and ruins the smoothie. If you must buy the juice, buy the best stuff you can for the best flavour.

Buying your own fruit is ideal, but you need a juicer. That can be expensive, and they're a bitch to clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭event

Faith wrote: »
    Trust me, using concentrated juice is awful in smoothies. Not only is it FULL of sugar with only a vague memory of being a fruit, it tastes like cack too, and ruins the smoothie. If you must buy the juice, buy the best stuff you can for the best flavour.

it does, but you can still get stuff cheaper (in price) than tropicana

in dunnes, you can get a litre of their own fresh orange juice (non concentrated) for €1.50 or so, i get it all the time and actually prefer it to the tropicana

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shell63

(sorry bout this being a bit late but...) I don't own a juicer but I finely chop apples (don't even bother peeling them) and lob them in my blender and I lob in small oranges in quarters, fair enough there's some pulp in there but I like my smoothies thick and I feel like I'm getting all the goodness from the fruit. I add some frozen "summer fruits" mix from aldi (around €1.30 for 500g) a small bit goes a looong way for colour and taste, a banana and some natural yoghurt. If it's breakfast I might throw in some fruit 'n fibre or bran flakes too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

The Lidl OJ is fine to me, squeeze also....

neways, I like making these 2...

Ice cubes
    OJ
    Banana
    Yoghurt (I try to stick to peach/apricto/mango/passionfruit)
    Honey
    Peanut butter
    (^ same as monkey business from zumo)

Ice cubes
    OJ
    Banana
    Yoghart
    Honey
    Frozen Fruit (summer berrys)

CC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

i banana, a good handful of raspberries, handful of strawberries, a pot of danone activia raspberry yogurt and some orange juice - chuck it all into a food processor and there you have it! ooh and also what has just sprung to mind and what i haven't tried but would be nice is pear - except usually i can never get really ripe pears so just use the lustre ones you get in a tin - mmmmmm..........

Advertisement