Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring money to sister in the States

Options
  • 03-04-2008 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭

I owe my sister who's in Ohio $50 for posting me over some stuff. What's the best/easiest/cheapest way to do this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Moved from Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Not sure, but I would think that the charges on such a small amount wouldn't be worth the time.

Would she be interested in a voucher? ie using your credit card, you buy her a $50 voucher for a shop online she would be interested in. They would then deliver/email her the voucher and it would save you the hassle of converting money and paying charges etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Envelope & $50 dollar note inside. TBH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Paypal perhaps, if she has an account? Otherwise it's too small an amount to do a bank transfer with, due to the high charges.

Otherwise, cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

stepbar wrote: »
    Envelope & $50 dollar note inside. TBH :)

I'm thinking that probably the easiest way of doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Recon wrote: »
    I'm thinking that probably the easiest way of doing it.

I wouldnt do this a friend of mine in Wisconsin has his own mail company and they use USPS facilities in Milwaukee and he says mailing cash is the stupidist thing anyone can do. Something to do with when mail gets scanned the scanner can see there is cash in the envelope and he said no offense to most mail workers there alot of them have sticky fingers :) He also told me that they have a wall were they stick postcards yup postcards people send postcards back home and wonder why they never get them well the reason is they are stuck on a notice board in the mail canteen :):):D The $50 will be very lucky if it makes it to your sister tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

USD bank draft via the reg'd post... Just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Another alternative would be to get an additional user on your credit card account and send her the card and use up €50 worth of credit. Funny as it may sound I have a friend who does this with a friend in the states all the time. When he wants US goods, he gets the US bloke to buy various things and mail them to Ireland or bring back on plane all using his credit card so he knows how much everything is and very clean - I presume your sister wouldn't do a runner. Also she could destroy the card once used.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Thats alot of trust to place in someone seeing that you can not limit the amount of money the extra card holders can spend...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Thats alot of trust to place in someone seeing that you can not limit the amount of money the extra card holders can spend...

Ah sure if you can't trust your sister......

• Advertisement
Advertisement