Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This is an outrage - the FLU, four days before the orals???

Options
  • 03-04-2008 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

It's appalling, it's a complete disgrace - Started to feel a bit sick yesterday, now I've suddenly progressed to a full on flu - headache, nose issues, cough - the usual
    This really stinks because I really want to do well in the orals next week but the stupid flu has completely zapped my energy -went from slightly woozy last night to basically hardly being able to hold my head up with tiredness - no hope at all of concentrating on anything tonight
    Has anyone any suggetions as to what will get rid of a flu ridiculously fast? I can't take lemsip or sudafed (allergy to that pseudoephidrine stuff) so the usual avenues of approach are blocked... I've been taking strepsils and radoxon (Vit. C) all day with only marginal improvement - advice, anyone?

C'est la chose la plus affreuse, etc etc etc ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

You can't cure the flu I'm afraid! Only treat it, if you've a temperature take paracetamol to bringit down, it'll also sort out any aches and pains you may have. Ask a pharmacist about an anti-histamine that doesn't contain pseudoephodrine. Echinacea can shorten the span of a cold too. As for energy...plenty of fluids and bedrest is what you need, maybe some glucose before the exam.

At least you have something to rant about in the exam! If you're very bad now, the rest of it should be over before then and you'll only be a little sniffly :)

Hope everything goes well for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Vitamin C, Vitamin C and more vitamin C. Overdose on the stuff because your body is lacking it when you have the flu.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

You may as well give up...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

I can beat that :)

My french teacher just ran out of the school last monday and isnt coming back for 2 weeks, just in time for our french orals

However the substitute teacher is TEN times better so it sorta worked out for the best really

Bonne chance avec ton oral!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Weasel

Diabolical alright.. Ya, im sure they're must be somthing out there that you could take, give a chat with the pharmacist a lash maybe? After that bed, oranges and hot drinks! Get well soon!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

I think you can rearrange your oral anyway. So you basically have until next Friday to get better and have it completed.

Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭The Walsho

I'm outraged at having my French oral on Thursday, and then Irish on the following Monday. Would like more time between orals please.
    Feel better OP!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

The Walsho wrote: »
    I'm outraged at having my French oral on Thursday, and then Irish on the following Monday. Would like more time between orals please.
    Feel better OP!

Wait, i thought for everyone it was irish the first week?? Or is it different in different schools??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Bonj15

I think if u get a doctors cert u can take ur oral in lyk may?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Wait, i thought for everyone it was irish the first week?? Or is it different in different schools??

Half of the country has the irish orals the first week and then the french/german etc orals the second week and it's visa versa for the other half

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

i don't know what the circumstances have to be but you can delay your orals till end of may. girl in my class did it last year and i think she was just sick for the orals. talk to your teachers if you really think you won't be 100%.

also i highly recommend just staying in bed for a full day, no sitting on the sofa. in the bed, keep nice and warm, lots of fluids, NO WORK OR ANYTHING STRESSFUL.

it'll do the world of good and you'll bounce back feeling revitalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 rower 4 life

i can so beat ur flu, i hav a abcess on a tooth AND IM GOING THROUGH HELL WITH IT!! i got it the bugger 2 days before my mocks, missed english both papers, home eco, maths p2 and physics.. took pills told you will live come back in a week did that fine all fixed.now weeks later, woke up on monday to be voilently sick, my abcess burst!!!!!!!!!!!!:O went to hospital put on a drip, told i was septic etc have to get more work done on it now my stupid dentist didnt do a good job!! i cant sleep cos of it, i cant eat, i cant study because i cant concentrate!!!!!!!!!!!! aaHHHhhhh!!!!!!!!!! and its not like i have bad teeth i go every 6 mts andn i hv only ever had 2 small fillings!!!!!!!

im still doing my orals the school have just moved my name down to the very bottom of the list!!! thanks a bunch eh!! they never even mentioned taking them in may.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Peleus

now, i'm no doctor, but my dad is, so i've leant how to get rid of flus pretty quick. This might not work for you but i'll tell you anyway.

You'll need:

An unlimited supply of water (not tap water, cool filtered water or cool bottled water if you've no filter)
    A pack of Vitamin C capsules. VITAL (you can get them in natures way/any other pharmacy style place. Great value for money)
    Some tubs of yogurt. (NB. don't get Muller, stawberry or any other of those flavours. They'll make you so much worse. Get natural yogurt (flavourless). I think Glenisk is the best brand.)
    Have a bit of fruit. (apples bananas and oranges. and anything else you like ie: Kiwis, strawberries etc)
    Healthy food. (Any healthy food/snacks you have. don't eat takeaway or any microwavable food. Try nuts, maybe a small bit of pasta, maybe an egg or two, and some vegeatables )

Just spend your day in bedin the garden/around the house. Eat a load of that food. snack on yogurt. Maybe make a fruit cocktail by chopping up the fruit, and adding it to the yogurt and nuts. its soo tasty and makes you feel alot better instantly. drink a glass of water every 40 mins at least. take about ten/twelve Vit C tablets throughout the day. Don't worry you cant OD on Vit C.

The yogurt is the best thing to get you better. Don't believe all the danone ads. thats bull****. only buy Glenisk/similar yogurt. The cultures will fix you from the inside out. Theres no need for drugs/tablets. But if you have a splitting head ache have a paractemol.

Feel better. and don't smoke as much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

blue-army wrote: »
    I think you can rearrange your oral anyway. So you basically have until next Friday to get better and have it completed.

Good Luck!
    Ya its not a problem to do your oral at a later date like, Loads of people get sick at this time of year and they let you do your oral later on.

Don't dare go in if your feeling ill and lacking energy, you'll get a grade you don't deserve.

Advertisement