Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unleashed Dogs Getting Run Over

Options
  • 03-04-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭

My poor vet had a very bad day today. I was bringing my little lady to have her annual booster this afternoon. Normally there is no queue but today there was a long delay. The poor vet had to put 3 dogs to sleep, 2 got run over and one had an illness. One of the dog owners said that she brought the dog to her local shops without a lead. He was only 8 months old! Without a lead on a very busy road! Madness. He didn't make it. She was very upset, God lover her.

Another little Yorkie was in an accident and broke 2 legs. He survived.

Around where I live there are far too many dogs that are left loose during the day. Is that legal? It's dangerous for them and for any driver who has the misfortune of encountering them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

mags16 wrote: »
    My poor vet had a very bad day today. I was bringing my little lady to have her annual booster this afternoon. Normally there is no queue but today there was a long delay. The poor vet had to put 3 dogs to sleep, 2 got run over and one had an illness. One of the dog owners said that she brought the dog to her local shops without a lead. He was only 8 months old! Without a lead on a very busy road! Madness. He didn't make it. She was very upset, God lover her.

Another little Yorkie was in an accident and broke 2 legs. He survived.

Around where I live there are far too many dogs that are left loose during the day. Is that legal? It's dangerous for them and for any driver who has the misfortune of encountering them.
    As far as i know dogs by law is they must have a collar and lead,and certain breeds must have a muzzle at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

It was like a scene from ER at the vet's today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Ruby Soho

Around where I live there are far too many dogs that are left loose during the day. Is that legal? It's dangerous for them and for any driver who has the misfortune of encountering them.[/QUOTE]

Its not legal but unfortunately there are very few people that enforce the law!! Loose dogs are a nuisance to responsible dog owners who leash their dogs, they are a liability around kids who don't know what their temperament is like and bloody dangerous for motorists. I see them locally too, they crap in everyones gardens and attack on leash dogs. By law, no dog is allowed in public unsupervised / not under effectual control. Certain breeds must be leashed and muzzled at all times, every dog must have a collar / i.d. disk, or the owner could face a 100 euro on the spot fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

davey180 wrote: »
    As far as i know dogs by law is they must have a collar and lead,and certain breeds must have a muzzle at all times.

By law a non restricted breed should have a collar with ID tags, and be under control (either on lead or off) in a public place. IF a dog runs in front of a car it is obviously not under control, and therefore the owner is at fault.

It's terrible seeing dogs being injured or killed due to owners stupidity. I met a man walking two dogs a while back, both offlead. One ran over to us to say hi, the owner continued to walk on, said he's just a pup, and called him. Rude or not, i didn't mind as his dog was friendly and so is mine. Then I walked a bit further and turned to hear a blood curdling scream. The "just a pup" was hit by a car after running onto the busy road we were walking on. The cars go really fast by there and there's no way the driver could have avoided the dog without crashing into oncoming traffic... All the stupid owners fault. I'm sick of seeing dogs offlead.

Advertisement