Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

European adventure....

• 03-04-2008 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

People,

I am trying to organise a bit of an adventure around Europe - ideally have 3 months.

I would mostly like to see Berlin, Krakow(purely for auschwitz),Budapest, Switzerland and Rome...Would like to also visit Norway , Sweden depending on cost.

I have thought about interailling but know very little about this to be honest (would the rail connect to all these places for a start?!)

My question is - How much would I need for this type of trip - I have all the lonely planet books but am not so sure about adding up their daily budget and multiplying it by 90 days (3 months!)

Also can anyone recommend the cheapest ( worth seeing and not dangerous ) places for me to visit - on my own?

Merci

Sony

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Timmy_d

ya id be interesred in hearing a few responses i think il do the same except for two months...its either thailand or europe for 2 months,cant decide!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Usually for Interrailing type trips people budget for €40/50 a day

The longest interrail pass is 30 days, costing around €399 I think, getting 3 of these to last you the whole 3 months would be very costly, but buying single train tickets the whole way from Norway to Budapest would also be very expensive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Hi Timmy,

Ah no doubt you should be hitting South East Asia given that choice, I did'nt mention it but i am planning on travelling the whole world I just thougth it would be nice to add in spots in europe I would like to see and work it slowly right the way round europe, through SEA, Australia, NZ , South America(Yes I have quite a bit of money to do all of this!!)

Looking forward to hearing any advice!

Sony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Sony

Thanks for the advice, Yeah I was hoping to travelk for a while and then once I hit Berlin , I could maybe buy the 30 day pass and use it through the rest of the trip...

Also sorry to be pushing it but is there anywhere anyone knows of in europe to stay on the cheap for a while ... for example in Asia you could stay on a beach hut for a month for next to nothing .... anywhere that I could possibly hang around for a while on the cheap??

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Nullandvoid

Sony wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, Yeah I was hoping to travelk for a while and then once I hit Berlin , I could maybe buy the 30 day pass and use it through the rest of the trip...

Also sorry to be pushing it but is there anywhere anyone knows of in europe to stay on the cheap for a while ... for example in Asia you could stay on a beach hut for a month for next to nothing .... anywhere that I could possibly hang around for a while on the cheap??

Thanks again

Its cheaper to stay in small towns which aren't as common with backpackers, assuming you find a hostel. Eastern Europe is cheaper, maybe Romania or Bulgaria. I was in Kosice in Slovakia and it was very cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

We were in Croatia in August and we paid €10 each per night for a studio apartment, not in a complex just in a small town on an island (there aren't really many Spanish type apartment blocks). Everyone told us later we were ripped off because we never bothered haggling. This included the woman who owned it collecting us from the ferry and driving almost 10km to the apartment.

Mostly in Croatia you stay in a room in someone's house for around €10 a night, but it still would be expensive enough for a month. But they have to go to the train/bus station every day to look for new backpackers to stay there. I'm sure if you told them you'd be there for a month you'd get a decent discound as it would save them a lot of hassle. These were on islands which are very popular with backpackers so you could go somewhere a little bit more rural to save monet. Most importantly Croatia would be somewhere i'd love to spend a month doing nothing

Tbh I've never seen any beach hut type things in Europe, and i'd say a month is far too long for a tent

We also stayed in a caravan in the middle of nowhere in France for around €40 a week each. Not the type of place where i'd like to spend a month on my own though

Advertisement