Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Security

Options
  • 03-04-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hi,

We just recently bought a car and as we are up and down and all around the place (mainly Limerick and Dublin) so we feel we need to get some kind of security for it.

We were thinking a steering wheel lock or an alarm. But are not sure which is better and roughly what price they'd be.

Just wondering what you all use? If anything :D and how much they worked out as? Pros, cons etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

We were thinking a steering wheel lock or an alarm. But are not sure which is better and roughly what price they'd be.
    Best bet is to make your car look like it's too much trouble to steal. I'd go with a steering lock. Nobody pays any notice to alarms. Does it have an immobiliser?

Also, don't leave the keys on the hall table, and depending on the neighbourhood, some kind of gate or driveway lock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭michelleans

It does have an immobiliser.

I'm pretty sure no one would get as far as the hall table with my german shepherd prancing about. :D

We don't have any gates up here in rented accommodation in Limerick, but then we won't be here for long anyway. I'll definitely check out the driveway/gate when we are moving.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

It does have an immobiliser.

Thanks

That's plenty, if they do bypass that or steal the keys you have done the best you can and your insurance company will sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Or buy a wheel clamp ;)

ClioV6 wrote: »
    Or buy a wheel clamp ;)

I was looking at them too, but then the Simpsons episode where Homer drives all the way home with one shredding the side of his car put me off :D

• Advertisement

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    That's plenty, if they do bypass that or steal the keys you have done the best you can and your insurance company will sort you out.

The car's really not worth a whole pile, except the 27 months NCT :D I'm already paying enough for insurance (22 years old and a provisional license) so I wouldn't be making a claim anyway.

I was thinking the steering wheel lock could be an investment, now and for a different car at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What car is it?

97 Renault Clio, 1149cc 1.2L Petrol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Definatly a steering lock. Want to go paro?

get a lock to the gear stick-handbrake. car wont move then!
    Last resort is to get an after market immobiliser fitted:
    http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/products.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭skibum

I have an alarm on my car but I also use a heavy chain that's looped through the seat runner and the steering wheel, only takes a few seconds to lock and un lock and is a great visual deterrent.

Saw these pic's of what they use in South Africa :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You can get something like this and fit it like this
    Steering_Wheel_Lock_Baseball.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions.

Bike how does that lock work? It seems it'd just spin around when you move the wheel?

It sits quite snug on the wheel and prevents steering, as it sticks out to the side and will bump into the windscreen or your leg. You can also wave it about during road rage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

congo_90 wrote: »
    Definatly a steering lock. Want to go paro?

get a lock to the gear stick-handbrake. car wont move then!
    Last resort is to get an after market immobiliser fitted:
    http://www.directcarparts.co.uk/products.htm

Don't bother . Screw of the gear knob and thats defeated.
    biko wrote: »
    You can get something like this and fit it like this
    Steering_Wheel_Lock_Baseball.jpg

This is junk.. It will actually help the thief defeat the factory steering lock by acting as a lever. Also my GF lost her key to one similar to that and i broke it off in 3 seconds with my hands!! I've a picture3 of the lock in 2

As for my advice heres what i got

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=30001&partNumber=7400081

Its a tested 20 minute attack time, although it can be defeated they just won't bother with it. My car was attempted robbed with one of those junk 25euro wheel lock that sit on the dash. It has an immobiliser too. But a deterrent always helps.

As for a chain . Thieves will cut through the steering wheel or chair frame. steeringwheels only 12mm or so thick.

Seems disklok is the way to go since everything else is shiite.

I know the bat may not be the best defence but it's easy to put on/take off and so will not be left in the boot.
    Used it in my old 91 banger parked on a city street for two years and car was never touched.

It's a 97 clio, not a 06 Merc she wants to protect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

Seems disklok is the way to go since everything else is shiite.

I know the bat may not be the best defence but it's easy to put on/take off and so will not be left in the boot.
    Used it in my old 91 banger parked on a city street for two years and car was never touched.

Its very easy to defeat without tools. I presume its 20 - 30 euro i guess for an extra 70 you buy more piece of mind. And thats the point exactly i'm sure you couldn't steal a 06 Merc without the keys , the clio on the order hand....

panzer_steering_lock2.jpg

^ Don't buy one of these either

Exactly, the above looks pretty solid but I'm not really prepared to spend 100 euros on security for a car that cost less than 10 times that.
    It sits quite snug on the wheel and prevents steering, as it sticks out to the side and will bump into the windscreen or your leg. You can also wave it about during road rage :D

But then what would I do with my road rage crowbar? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Thoses silly little plastic steering locks you snap on and off are rubbish! Their as easily broken off as they easy to open them with the key.

You want a big chain and padlock! This is what I have on my lancer, it's a beast of a chain and a good deterrant. Mine has 13mm thick links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Big stanchion welded to footwell of front passenger, massive chain between that and steering wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

@eringobragh Don't buy one of these either

Why not?

I suppose they ARE cheap, but wh yare they crap?

• Advertisement
Advertisement