Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics problem

Options
  • 03-04-2008 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Got a graphics problem: replaced my 7900GT last month with a new 9600GT. Being playing COD4 single player a bit since and recently I've been getting artifacts after 10 minutes or so and shortly after the computer would freeze and I'd have to re-boot. If I then start up COD4 again the artifacts and freeze would occur within a minute or two. Tonight I played COD4 for ten minutes, it freezed, I rebooted and started to play Guitar Hero 3 instead (not as much as a graphics hog I hope, I run COD4 on high specs and Guitar Hero on medium) - within 6 minutes Guitar Hero froze! I didn't have to re-boot as I got out of it via Task Manager and didn't see any artifacts, but am thinking it could be the same problem.

Ideas? Oh, my CPU is an AMD 64x2 4400+ (old compared to the graphics card) and have 2gig RAM. Could the graphical options in both games be set too high?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If it ran fine with the 7900GT, then the most likely thing is that the card is either not getting enough juice, or overheating....

What are the temps of the card under load, and what sort of power supply do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Right, more info on this: I've been having the same problems on an ongoing basis, artifacts appear and the game freezes / slows-down. I downloaded ATITool and when running Scan for Artifacts, I started seeing artifacts when the temps reached about 49c! And it froze above 51c - this is very low, right? I then downloaded Rivatuner and noticed that the fan did not move above 35% during any of the above, so I manually set it at 70% and bob's your uncle, tried out a game and no artifacts to be seen!

What do you think - is the problem that it is both underpowered AND overheating? Why artifacts at such a low temp?

Advertisement