Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT 3meg Broadband - terrible ping!

Options
  • 03-04-2008 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

hi all!

i recently switched from eircom 2mb to BT 3mb - only to find its ... unusable.
    blame it on "peak" time or whatever - but ping times of around 500ms on a broadband connection are a JOKE. please look at attached image:
    018761926tracertresultske2.jpg

as you can see theres 1ms response from my wifi router then i loose 300ms to get to the exchange.
    please have a look at speedtest:
    speedtestyd6.jpg
    what should i do about it? BT support says ping and transfers are not guaranteed - but lets be honest this is far beyond acceptable for any type of broadband.
    what you guys think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

You're lucky that you're not getting any great speed because they will throttle you if you are found to be using too much bandwidth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Little-Devil

Blindpew wrote: »
    You're lucky that you're not getting any great speed because they will throttle you if you are found to be using too much bandwidth.

You still moaning :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 jrsc

so what u say - im being throrttled since day one? haha, sure.

Can you check your download usage and see if you have gone over 100G

jrsc wrote: »
    hi all!

blame it on "peak" time or whatever - but ping times of around 500ms on a broadband connection are a JOKE. please look at attached image:

as you can see theres 1ms response from my wifi router then i loose 300ms to get to the exchange.
    speedtestyd6.jpg
    what should i do about it? BT support says ping and transfers are not guaranteed - but lets be honest this is far beyond acceptable for any type of broadband.
    what you guys think?

Your trace shows very high reponse times, all pointing to a BAS508. esat.net which i assume is an exchange on BT's network. They may be having some issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Don't think its throttling, the speed looks similar to people who have been throttled but the ping is much higher. Are the speeds and ping normal off peak?

i havent even managed to download 1megabyte, so throttling is not the reason, :), stop messing :)

BAS508. esat.net - is there any way to point BT support to look at it?

ping stays like that until i fall asleep :]

you could always try send a e-mail to BT and hope they get the finger out in the morning. Its defo a issue with BT and not you or your PC.

If it was your PC the first hop would not have reached the IP 192.168.1.254

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Blindpew

Bt are an unscrupulous bunch and are fit for anything. They recently took an old age pensioner to court because she wouldn't change to direct debit payment, what's worse is they won the case. Now I see they are in trouble in England for putting spyware on peoples pcs to spy on they browsing habits.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are taking the piss with you and giving you slow speed from day one as they know you can't leave them after signing their devils pact.

now, i did send the traceroute result to support, will see what happens.
    im not going to settle over 500ms ping on 3meg option, over my dead body.
    and im not going to pay a penny for a service like that. i might meet the old lady in the court waiting room then :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I'm getting similar problems with Eircom, my Thread is in the top five, high ping will be the death of me.

now, i did send the traceroute result to support, will see what happens.
    im not going to settle over 500ms ping on 3meg option, over my dead body.
    and im not going to pay a penny for a service like that. i might meet the old lady in the court waiting room then :)

Its something with that BAS508 no doubt. If you dont hear back ring the support and explain or ask them to look into it.

Blindpew wrote: »
    Bt are an unscrupulous bunch and are fit for anything. They recently took an old age pensioner to court because she wouldn't change to direct debit payment, what's worse is they won the case. Now I see they are in trouble in England for putting spyware on peoples pcs to spy on they browsing habits.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are taking the piss with you and giving you slow speed from day one as they know you can't leave them after signing their devils pact.

You still moannnnnnnnnnnning? Why don't you contact BT in the morning and cancel your service and sign up with someone else or better still start your own ISP SME like Marlow ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Antamojo

I'm getting high pings like this with eircom in the East Point exchange
    The bastards still haven't updated it after 3 complaints

Although I'm getting bb for free because of it ;)

well, im on east wall/church rd corner :)

My colleague in work connects to that usually and always get problems. No doubt i'll hear about it in the morning :rolleyes:

Antamojo wrote: »
    Although I'm getting bb for free because of it ;)

Explain, why?

Well I have the internet for gaming
    and I eventually got to speak to some sound chap after my complaints.
    He must of been at the top of complaints
    and he said that the service I was geting was not sufficient for gaming so he would refund any months I had with the terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Blindpew wrote:
    They recently took an old age pensioner to court because she wouldn't change to direct debit payment, what's worse is they won the case.

You're not serious?

Are you on the east point or summer hill exchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Antamojo wrote: »
    Well I have the internet for gaming
    and I eventually got to speak to some sound chap after my complaints.
    He must of been at the top of complaints
    and he said that the service I was geting was not sufficient for gaming so he would refund any months I had with the terrible service.

Same situation as me, and they said they would refund/credit my account for lack of decent service. I was told Eircom do this regardless.

Saying that, I would prefer if they just fixed may damn internet connection, and stuffed their credit note.

Yeah i'd prefer if they actually fixed the exchange so I could have an online game but....

screenshot036bh3.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

hi all!

speedtestyd6.jpg
    what you guys think?

Ok, the long hop its between your router and the first BAS. That could indicate a line issue. No throttling.

This could be

* That you are using an extension
    * Telephone line is faulty
    * You are not on the main socket
    * Your router
    * Problem at the Exchange (congestion for ex)
    * Internal wiring

Check from the main socket, no extensions, run another tracert and see, if you have an spair router, try with it.. if still the same then ask them to book a fault.

If they do book a fault your only hope is that Eircom will detect a problem on your telephone line otherwise the fault will be cleared as found ok.

What are your line stats? Line rate, attenuation?

Also, you are not using BT´s modem so there will be little troubleshooting they can do...

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384

Line Attenuation
    16/10 dB

i dont know the exchange's name...

SN Margin (dB) 31.00

Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave

Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 3072 384

Line Attenuation
    16/10 dB

i dont know the exchange's name...

SN Margin (dB) 31.00

Line State Up Modulation DMT Data Path Interleave

Nothing wrong there.. give them a call and ask them to test your line, they will run a PSTN line test too...

Make sure that everything is correct on your side first! Remove all filters, extension and try from the main socket...

Most of the time the problem is internal (router, wiring, etc) but it costs nothing to ask BT to check your line.

im connected to the main socket, there is nothing else connected to the phone line - just router. the dsl filter is on as well.

edit: i tried it without filter, different cable - no diff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I don't think a poor line could cause high latency - if I'm not mistaken, the modem will either sync correctly, sync at a slower speed or not sync at all. Your stats sound fine, so whatever you do don't get them to send out an Eircom technician - it'll probably be a complete waste of time.

Are you sure there's not any other traffic going through your router? Is your wireless network (if you have one) secure or turned off? Nothing going on with your PC internet-wise? Windows Update (process name wuauclt.exe) may be trying to download stuff for example. Try pinging from a different PC or different operating system maybe?

im connected to the main socket, there is nothing else connected to the phone line - just router. the dsl filter is on as well.

edit: i tried it without filter, different cable - no diff.

Just call them and get them to check your line. Try running another tracert when conencted to a different BRAS.

I dont think its the computer as if it was your firt hope will show higher hops.

Have you tried different routers?

What´s your exchange?

If you dont know go to the Smart homepage and put your telephone number on the line checker, it will show you to which exchange you are connected.

But give BT a call to make sure that the telephone line is alright, though unlikely, a small interference could cause high latency, it would be good if you could post the DMT table here...

But again, 9 out of 10 times the problem is on yourside...

Just put it this way, you are the only one complaining on your area (so far) so its either your line or your equipment... could be someone else using your computer (piggy back), could me so many things... but the only way to find out if by elimination...

Your transfer rates are fine, arent they?

Bohrio wrote: »
    Just call them and get them to check your line. Try running another tracert when conencted to a different BRAS.

I dont think its the computer as if it was your firt hope will show higher hops.

Have you tried different routers?

Bohrio, I've read you're post over the last few weeks in the b roadband form on Esat throttling and also a couple of others. I saw someone else mention or ask, but i have my suspsion that you actually work for BT in and probably in Technical support :D. I'm sure i may not be the only one who suspects this, but you seem to know a little to much about the throttling of accounts and the way you phrase some post leads to my very own supsions ;).

JRSC, i talked to my colleague and he had no problems last night so i suspect it if you have tried everything, then i would try a second router and if that fails report the issue.

• Advertisement

my trasfer rates are crap, how could they be ok when you get 1/2 second stops(pings) between data chunks? anyway - speedtest.net grab is attached(page1), tells everything.

restarting router makes it connect to diffrent BAS server, although it doesnt change my situation - no online gaming on friday night :[ ping still @high 300ms.

i will try different router over weekend - although i really doubt its router's fault-it seems to work flawless. (and was all-ok when connected via eircom)
    i talked to my colleague and he had no problems last night so i suspect it if you have tried everything, then i would try a second router and if that fails report the issue.
    thats good to hear!

Advertisement