Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

who killed jazz?

• 03-04-2008 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I love jazz, but now it is like a corpse, no energy no originality, no intentions of getting to a bigger audience than the one at their feet !!! Where is the new John Coltrane to give jazz back its soul!!! Debate gentlemen and fiercewomen

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

I love jazz, but now it is like a corpse, no energy no originality, no intentions of getting to a bigger audience than the one at their feet !!! Where is the new John Coltrane to give jazz back its soul!!! Debate gentlemen and fiercewomen

I know feck all about Jazz but I love listening to the old (well known) guys like miles davis and john coltrane, wouldnt know what modern Jazz sounds like and couldnt name one artist.

Perhaps its a matter of pretension or even fear from the modern guys that attracting a wider audience is somehow selling out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

As Frank Zappa once said, "jazz is n't dead, it just smells funny !". I dont know what jazz you listen to, but IMO it is far from dead. I admit it will be a long time (if ever) that another Coltrane or Miles comes along, but there is a new generation of great artists out there waiting to be discovered if you know where to look.

"Down Beat" magazine is a great source of info on well known and up and coming names. Another magazine I subscribe to is "Cadence" ( www.cadencebuilding.com ). I have discovered many new and great musicians through this magazine. As you know, there are many branches to jazz and this mag deals with the more "left of centre". It also features well known names.

So I think Mr. Zappa was right ...... jazz is not dead, it's just a case of knowing where to look.

Happy listening. :)

Advertisement