Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal Collection

Options
  • 03-04-2008 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

I've decided to post up my medals,some of the german badges are fakes:(,hope you guys like them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Nice collection, how long have been collecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Nice display as well! I'll have to start organising something for a more permanent display. It's just the problem with space. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

this is another few in the collection,a nice set of R.A.M.C medals and postcards etc,the bravery medal is awarded to a Pte William Whitley from dublin,he served in 90 F.A/R.A.M.C,the others in this group belong to a different soldier,the last photo is just odds and ends,also bare in mind i've taken some of the medals from the main collection to make up these photos

Hi guys,i've been collecting on and off now for around three years,as you can see everything is in the attic(to keep the wife happy),what space i have left is no existent but i do my best to squeeze more in,i do have another few medals coming in the next few weeks,i've become quite friendly with a seller from England and he lets me pay for some of the medals in installments,as some of the medals are quite expensive this makes it easier,i'll post them up as i get them

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Great Collection!!

I'd love to get a closer view at some of those. I really like the medal bar with the 1939-1945 Star, Air Crew Europe Star & 1939-1945 War Medal.
    Genuine Air Crew Europe Stars don't show up very often... not around here anyway!

• Advertisement

Hi Dan,I'll try and get some close ups of the the bars and the medals your talking about.using the flash in the attic isn't helping much,the bar with the African star in the main photos is for the1st army,the other african star shown is north africa bar,the aircew europe star i would love to be original but i really don't know myself,i don't have the experience,i'll post it up and maybe you guys can help,also in the main collection is a 39 to 45 medal ribbon with a battle of britain rosette,maybe it would be a good idea to start a thread for real or fake,that way people might get help from others to authinticate items

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very first photo.......WOW! :eek: I want that.......those.....them! ALL of them! :pac:

Serious display there! Well done! Who is the Death Penny named too? Are those 1914/15 stars or do you have any of the rarer (and more expensive :p) 1914 stars?

I'm guessing all the WW1 British ones are named anyway, you must have some spread of names/ranks/regiments etc.

Very first photo.......WOW! :eek: I want that.......those.....them! ALL of them! :pac:

Serious display there! Well done! Who is the Death Penny named too? Are those 1914/15 stars or do you have any of the rarer (and more expensive :p) 1914 stars?

I'm guessing all the WW1 British ones are named anyway, you must have some spread of names/ranks/regiments etc.

Hi CroppBoy1798,glad you like them,the death plaque is named to Albert Budd,there are no medals connected to this i'm afraid,in the main photo at the bottom left hand side is a 1914 star,its named to 2083 DVR Chiragh Ali R.A,an Indian soldier,as these don't come up for sale as often as the British ones i decided to add this one to the collection however i will add a British one at a later date no doubt,the rest are 14/15 stars and most of these form the trios you can see,i did start collecting with the german medals and badges first but found myself picking up more and more British stuff as i went,as you know most of these can be researched in the Nation Archives website and even though i haven't really followed up to many its a job for a rainy day,so the main direction the collection is going at the moment is collecting CSM and GSM medals,thats up to 13 at the moment,i'll post newer ones as i get them

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Great Collection!!

I'd love to get a closer view at some of those. I really like the medal bar with the 1939-1945 Star, Air Crew Europe Star & 1939-1945 War Medal.
    Genuine Air Crew Europe Stars don't show up very often... not around here anyway!

This is the best i could do,looking at each star there is slight differences between all the campaign stars

these are just a few close ups of the other medals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Hello arnhem44,

I have just been studying your 'Air Crew Europe' Star, and I do not wish to cause any offence, but I am sorry to say that I have my doubts about it.

Even with the picture you posted, you can see that it does not have the quality of detail or definition of the 1939-45 star beside it, (note in particular the 'pebbled' effect behind the letters in the circle with the lettering, also practically missing the dots between the diamond and oval shapes at the base of the crown). It also looks to have (IMO) a casting seam at the edges (see at 5.30 & 8 o'clock).

How does the back of the bar look? Does anything look suspicious about the mounting?

I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

Regards - Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Hi,
    I've been collecting some 20 plus years but have stuck to a single Irish Regiment, the Connaught Rangers.
    Dont suppose you have any there, I've a lot of broken groups and would to get the missing one's,

Connrang wrote: »
    Hi,
    I've been collecting some 20 plus years but have stuck to a single Irish Regiment, the Connaught Rangers.
    Dont suppose you have any there, I've a lot of broken groups and would to get the missing one's,

Hi Connrang,sorry to say i don't have any of the Irish regiments in my collection,above most medals these make a great price at auction,i'd love to see your medals,maybe you could post them up some time

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Hello arnhem44,

I have just been studying your 'Air Crew Europe' Star, and I do not wish to cause any offence, but I am sorry to say that I have my doubts about it.

Even with the picture you posted, you can see that it does not have the quality of detail or definition of the 1939-45 star beside it, (note in particular the 'pebbled' effect behind the letters in the circle with the lettering, also practically missing the dots between the diamond and oval shapes at the base of the crown). It also looks to have (IMO) a casting seam at the edges (see at 5.30 & 8 o'clock).

How does the back of the bar look? Does anything look suspicious about the mounting?

I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

Regards - Dan

Hi Dan,just had a look at it again,in my own opinion i would have to agree with yourself,the medal appears to be old and has contact marks but the sharpness does seem lacking,the mounting bar is okay,all looks fine there,there is a slight casting edge at the place you mentioned,i guess an old copy maybe,like i said before you can't beat having an item in your hand before you buy,theres so many fakes out there now,still i would rather know that something isn't right than go around believeing it is genuine,thanks for the input Dan,much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

arnhem44

I'm " away " at present (not in jail) but my tour ends soon so maybe when I get home I can put up a group or two. Crazy money being spent both in the auction houses and online auctions, good for me if I off load but not at the moment,

arnhem44

I'm " away " at present (not in jail) but my tour ends soon so maybe when I get home I can put up a group or two. Crazy money being spent both in the auction houses and online auctions, good for me if I off load but not at the moment,

Thanks Connrang,look forward to seeing them sometime:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

arnhem44

Welcome to the forum, connrang!

Looking forward to your posts. Take care of yourself over there!

This one was laying around and came across it the other day,the air crew star in the middle is a modern copy but everything else is all original

First up is a ww1 British war medal issued to a member of the RAF,an air mechanic

Next up is an 1914/15 star awarded to a member of the royal warickshire regiment

• Advertisement

Here are the latest to add to the collection,first up is a set of mintures consisting of a ww1 trio and military medal the BWM next to these is to show the size difference,next up is a dogtag issued to a member of the kriegsmarine,I also have another German dogtag which off the top of my head is issued to the RAD,this is almost three times bigger than the kriegsmarine one (were they all different sizes??),next is a Gallipoli Star,this is the painted version and alot of these were issued to the german soldiers that served with the Turks,lastly is another BWM issued to a member of the Leiscester regiment,the last photo is again a comparison to show the size of the Gallipoli Star against a BWM

Added this to the collection also this week,first up is a BWM and postal box issued to a private in the Machine Gun Corps,second is a lovely 14/15 star and Victory medal pair plus research to an acting Sergeant who was killed in action in Gallipoli within four days of landing

These are the latest additions I got in the past week or so,again more WW1 British War and Victory medals,the first one up is a medal issued to a private from the Ox and Bucks Light infantry,this is his only medal intitlement according to the person I bought it from which means he would of served only in India which is a bit of a surprise for a front line regiment,the medal came cracked which I took to get repaired,the jeweler lasered the crack and the result is amazing,there is no sign of damage whatsoever

next ones up are again to another private,this time a medal pair to the Manchester Regiment,medal ribbons are worn(replacements came with these)but since there the originals I think I'll leave them on.

last up for today is a another BWM to a member of the Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve(R.N.V.R)

Heres the next ones to land on over the past week,all again WW1 BWM's,first up is one to a PTE in the Cheshire Regt,next one again to another private in the Royal West Kent Regt,sadly from my point of view, this was part of a medal pair that the seller decided to split up when selling,this pratice shouldn't be allowed!,luckly enough I won the second auction and this PTE's 1914/15 star is also on its way here to be reunited,its sad to see medal groupings being together for nearly ninety years only to be split up for financial gain.

These will be the last ones this side of Christmas to arrive,this is also a WW1 medal pair to a PTE in the Durham Light Infantry

heres another WW1 BWM and Victory example to a Private in the Royal Artillery,next up is a George V Army Long Service And Good Conduct medal and lastly is again a George V Territorial Force Efficiency medal

Here is the 1914/15 star that was mentioned in a previous thread to a Private in the Royal West Kents

• Advertisement

todays offering is more BWM's,I'm just collecting different Regiments lately and these are ideal for research(if I ever get around to it)and not expensive,first up are a BWM Victory pair to a CPL in the Border Regiment,these have been court mounted,the last one is a BWM to a Private in the Essex Regiment

Advertisement