Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Oh they are nice. One thing I really like about these is that they are personalised with the name etc of the soldier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Thanks Preusse,its nice to be able to pick ones like these up,I can only imagine that the family would of put all these away for safe keeping,this one might be a nice research project.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Those are very nice. I don't know much about the british side WWI medals but I hear that the Irish-connection ones are the more expensive. It's always nice to see the associated paperwork too.

They do command much higher prices,maybe its that some of the Irish regiments were disbanded in 1922 and they had made a name for themselves during the Great War making them more collectible,the Connaught Rangers is one of the more expensive ones as are the Royal Irish Rifles(depending on regiment),the Dublin Fusliers and Munsters have also being making good money as of late,also if the medals were issued to an Irish soldier it adds that bit more.God knows how many of these are still laying around in drawers and cupboards around the country.

Ok then heres another one to a PTE in the Royal Irish Rifles with a very low number,567 PTE D.MAJOR R.IR.RIF, David Major later transfered to the Labour Corps.

ww1rir020.jpg

ww1rir016.jpg

ww1rir001.jpg

• Advertisement

That's a seriously low number alright ! Very nice medal there.

btw is that the 'Ireland's Memorial Records: World War 1 1914-1918 ' dvd behind it ? I have been looking at getting a copy of that, do you find it very useful ? It is searchable by surname etc right ? Can you view records by location or where they fought or died etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Sorry if I'm straying a little off the topic of medals but I attach a selection of tinnies etc. from my collection. I collect almost anything WWII and Third Reich but have a particular interest in awards/badges/tinnies that depict the Stahlhelm.

I have no doubt that some of my collection are repros as it takes a hell of a lot of experience not be caught out now and then.

Bloody hell ! Those are very nice, is that a deaths-head on the waffenring kavalrie badge ?

I have seen one of your tinnies in the Imperial war museum (have a picture of it somewhere too).

I'd love to see the photo album on the shelf in the collection too & is that a gold SA sports badge ? You have a pretty cool collection there have to say. You should post up some more from that !

I agree,

very nice introduction to your collection, ollaetta.

The Stahlhelm items are interesting.

Keep it up. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

damm was expecting the first picture with the few excellent tinnies but the second one just shocked me, very good collection you should really post it.
    oh and heres somthing you can find cheap that i didnt see any of
    i have sd and a non sd one.
    stadtdurens.jpg
    its made of iron so get a air tite coin thing for it to stop the rust.
    and theirs a few other notgeld like this...

• Advertisement

Very nice collection ollaetta,every now and then a collection pops up here and really stands out,I think thats one of them.Morlar just to answer your questions,it is the Irelands Memorial Records CD-ROM,its researchable by date of birth,date of death,place of birth and so on,it will give you details of where there address was and things like parents names where applicable,if you wanted to pick one up I would say it is worth it for the sake of 50 euros at the moment,you would be amazed at the amount of local casualties to someones area there is,it covers the original eight volumes that were done to cover the 49,000 casualties from Ireland and also you can view the original page of the record that was written,now also I want to add that no one record will ever give you every detail,the Common Wealth War Graves Commission(highly recommended) and Soldiers Died In the Great War websites will also throw up details so for anyone researching bear that in mind.I also have another CD-ROM of WW1 Irish Soldiers Wills,this covers nine thousand wills written and that were documented,this however for me is a disapointment,the details are very basic.For anyone interested in these they can be found at www.archivecdbooks.ie

Thanks for the nice comments lads. Have to say I'm chuffed because I'm a relatively new collector and far from an expert.

Morlar, to answer your questions. There is a deaths head on the Waffenring Kavallerie badge - see larger scan attached. Unfortunately, the SA sports badge is just a bronze but it is a very good example.

I have two nice photoalbums. I'll scan a few of the pages and post them. I'll also stick up a few more of my tinnies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

a new collector !?!?:eek: how long?
    you put mine to shame :(

make a seprate thread if you intend to post up alot of stuff.
    if your just posting medals put em here.

Maybe I'm not that new, I suppose! I picked up a German helmet in France in about 2000 (or at least I thought I did, it turned out to be one of those Spanish lookalikes) and an ammo box a year later. It wasn't til 2004 when I was in Normandy for the 60th and later that year on my first visit to the North Star Fair that I began to get really interested.

I'll be away for a few days but I'll start a new thread on the photo albums when I get back.

Heres another two to have arrived this week,an 1914/15 Star and BWM to the Royal Scots,notice the difference in the Royal Scots naming between the two.Sadly his Victory medal was not with them.

ScotsWelshRegiment008.jpg

ScotsWelshRegiment006.jpg

ScotsWelshRegiment005.jpg

And one more,this one to a Private in the Welsh Regiment

ScotsWelshRegiment011.jpg

ScotsWelshRegiment009.jpg

Picked up this about a week ago ,don't normally pick up replica's however I doubt it very much unless I win the lotto that I'll ever get my hands on one of these.

Books019.jpg

Books018.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

just joind today and have found this thread very interesting. i collect WW1 medals myself. my main intrest is Irish regiments and medals to other Irish men in other British regiments . but i do have a couple i bought with my family name on and a victory medal to the Australian Light Horse .

just joind today and have found this thread very interesting. i collect WW1 medals myself. my main intrest is Irish regiments and medals to other Irish men in other British regiments . but i do have a couple i bought with my family name on and a victory medal to the Australian Light Horse .

Hi there,

welcome to the militaria forum. Hope you'll find lots of interesting topics for you. I would be interested in pictures of your medals. Would be great if you could create a new post with all your pictures in it.

Best,
    Preusse :)

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi there,

welcome to the militaria forum. Hope you'll find lots of interesting topics for you. I would be interested in pictures of your medals. Would be great if you could create a new post with all your pictures in it.

Best,
    Preusse :)

thanks . it was looking at arnhem44 posts about medals that made me join. when i suss out how to post pics i'll put a few up .

• Advertisement

when i suss out how to post pics i'll put a few up .

If you have any problems let me know and we can have a look at it. :)

Best,
    P.

thanks . it was looking at arnhem44 posts about medals that made me join. when i suss out how to post pics i'll put a few up .

Its great to see that new members are joining these forums,the more the merrier is all I can say.

Right then two more medal pairings have arrived this week,the first one up is a BWM and Victory pair to a private in the Seaforth Highlanders (the Duke of Albany's Ross-shire Buffs)

SeaforthsSouthAfricanHorse005.jpg

SeaforthsSouthAfricanHorse002.jpg

The second one up today is another pairing of BWM and Victory medals to a private in the 1st South African Horse which fought in East Africa,the Victory medal differs to normal Victory medals as it carried the inscription on the back of the medal in two langauges,English and Dutch.These were the only Commonwealth Victory medals to do so

SeaforthsSouthAfricanHorse004.jpg

SeaforthsSouthAfricanHorse001.jpg

SeaforthsSouthAfricanHorse007.jpg

Comparison of Victory medals,British and South African

SeaforthsSouthAfricanHorse003.jpg

did you get a medal index card with the south african pair ? do you know wher to get MICs for south african regiments ?

did you get a medal index card with the south african pair ? do you know wher to get MICs for south african regiments ?

To be honest these were medals that came from a seller I use on a regular basis from Canada,normally the index cards are supplied with all the medals I buy off him however this lot came without them for some reason,maybe he forgot to add them.I'll add these to the to do list with all the others,I keep meaning to search each one but as they add up it becomes a hefty figure,thats why I must take out a membership to ancestrey.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

all i can say is wow
    just rambled accross this thread
    i have my dads medals (service and un) and my grandads WW1 service and
    war medal and am searching for a replica of his mons star which went missing over the years

dolittle wrote: »
    all i can say is wow
    just rambled accross this thread
    i have my dads medals (service and un) and my grandads WW1 service and
    war medal and am searching for a replica of his mons star which went missing over the years

Hi dolittle,

nice of you to join in. :)

If you have time please do post some pictures of your family's medals. It would be most interesting.

There may be some dealers who sell some of the replicas. I am not sure of the Mons star but you should check them out.

P.

• Advertisement

Hi dolittle,would love to see your families medals,two things I might suggest to you is to look on the Great War Forum(this isn't part of boards.ie),theres a thread on there where people post up the names on there medals within there collection and some people have reunited medals by doing so,might be worth posting yours up,you never know.Theres also a site called Findamedal.com which you subscribe to and you can also search through dealers lists for a lost medal.I'll see if I can find the links and post them up for you.

Page 14 of this thread shows the list coming together so this link is from that page on on The Great War Forum

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=52929&st=325

And heres the link to Findamedal

http://findamedal.com/

Advertisement