Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Here's also another link for medal searching,this one by Token publishing who bring out medal and coin news magazines.

http://www.medaltracker.com/

one more that arrived last week,this one to a 2nd class air mechanic in the Royal Naval Air Service

RNASMedal024.jpg

RNASMedal023.jpg

Took the easy option out here and scanned these medals rather than photograph them(not the best),I got these from my local jeweller who passed them on to me,there was also another two British WW2 War medals and one Defence medal with this group(not pictured),I have my doubts about one of the Italian medals being original,looks very new to me,the Victory medal is to a seaman from the R.A.N (Royal Australian Navy) and the BWM which is missing its suspender has also been erased and all that's left is SPR which stands for Sapper from the Royal Engineers.Two medals I have yet to identify in the group is the one with the yellow and black ribbon dated 1891 and the other is the Arabic one with the green,white and wine ribbon,any ideas?

medalcollection.jpg

medalcollectionopposite.jpg

I decided to try and take some photos today of some of the medals that I don't have displayed,I was photographing them in the natural light but it did start to get dark and some have not come out too clear.First ones up are three medals,one Kings South Africa medal(naming erased),one Queens South Africa medal with two bars(renamed) and a Victorian Volunteer Force long service medal(unnamed as issued),if you look closely to the South Africa medals and look at the lower edges around the rim you will notice where the medals thin out where the original names were erased.

medals018.jpg

Next lot up are a selection of various GSM medals,Africa Service medal with Kenya bar and Indian General Service medals with North West Frontier clasps of varying dates,all medals are named

medals016.jpg

• Advertisement

More GSM's

medals022.jpg

medals020.jpg

medals017.jpg

Up next, one WW1 British BWM to a Pte in the Cameron's

medals013.jpg

medals005.jpg

Another BWM to a Pte in the Rifle Brigade

medals014.jpg

medals006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

Very nice additions indeed!
    Looking at these is making me kind of regret selling the few British medals I had in my collection. :(
    That Queens South Africa medal is a beauty with a fantastic patina.

Keep them coming!

- Dan

Edit:
    I've just seen the BWM to a Pte in the Cameron's..... WOW!! When you see them like this, it makes you wonder why anyone would want to clean and polish them up.

These will be the last ones,if I have more time I will do another few tomorrow,as you can see from the photos the light was getting bad,this pair to the RAF,Long Service Good Conduct and 39/45 War medal

medals033.jpg

medals031.jpg

medals028.jpg

• Advertisement

danpatjoe wrote: »
    Very nice additions indeed!
    Looking at these is making me kind of regret selling the few British medals I had in my collection. :(
    That Queens South Africa medal is a beauty with a fantastic patina.

Keep them coming!

- Dan

Edit:
    I've just seen the BWM to a Pte in the Cameron's..... WOW!! When you see them like this, it makes you wonder why anyone would want to clean and polish them up.

Thanks Dan,I think they look better uncleaned,one that I had repaired in the jewellers came back all polished up and just took something away from it,I think the patina gives them that extra bit of character.Did you have many other medals Dan?

next up is a Bavarian Military Medal 3rd class with a date of 1866,as far as I'm aware these medals may of been superseded with another version of this medal,something I've had for quite a while,the ribbon isn't in the best of shape

003.jpg

next a Victorian medal for Egypt with a nile campaign bar,this medal has a swivel suspender and has been renamed to a Pte H.Smart Devonshire Regt

013.jpg

012.jpg

014.jpg

015.jpg

another Victorian medal,this one is the Indian Mutiny medal,this one again has had its name erased and carries no clasps and again has a swivel suspender

004.jpg

005.jpg

and another Victorian medal, this one for another Indian campaign with the Samana bar,this one to a soldier in the Punjab Infantry and carries the correct script style engraving

007.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

Next up is an American Gar medal issued to a veteran of the American Civil War,as you can see the American flag only carried thirteen stars at the time

016.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

019.jpg

This next one is a nice little item and can still be picked up in there original box of issue as pictured here but beware of fakes,there are many around,this is the British issued wound badge issued to soldiers who were wounded during WW2 and was worn using a button hole on ones jacket.These are much smaller than the WW1 version,this being around the size of a one euro coin

001.jpg

Last one up is a centenary medal to Lenin,camera settings were not right for these shots,this medal is much richer looking in colour when looked at off camera

002.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

brilliant stuff. you must have a very understanding wife. i have a WW1 trio and pair ,both to RDF, on display and some cap and collar badges but i suppose like a lot of collectors i have the rest tucked away in a box. anyway arnhem44 keep the pics coming .

Cheers RDF,theres not much left to photo now unless I start to photo some of the WW2 stuff in detail.As for my wife,she's been good to me and has bought many of the medals for me over the years with the help of some suttle hints.I would have to class as a rare find.

• Advertisement

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Thanks Dan,I think they look better uncleaned,one that I had repaired in the jewellers came back all polished up and just took something away from it,I think the patina gives them that extra bit of character.Did you have many other medals Dan?

No, not really. Just a kind of mish-mash of common medals - some WW1 & WW2 British, WW2 & later American, WW2 Soviet and a couple of Irish.
    I eventually sold the lot to concentrate on Iron Crosses. :o

...Well, except for my cased WOI medal with Comrac bar - that's a part of my family history that I will never sell.

danpatjoe wrote: »
    No, not really. Just a kind of mish-mash of common medals - some WW1 & WW2 British, WW2 & later American, WW2 Soviet and a couple of Irish.
    I eventually sold the lot to concentrate on Iron Crosses. :o

...Well, except for my cased WOI medal with Comrac bar - that's a part of my family history that I will never sell.

That is some collection of Iron Crosses you've put together Dan,tell me would you have to wait long before a different varition comes along since some of the Crosses are more common than the others or would they be readily availible to buy on the open market.I've been playing with the idea of selling all the WW2 medals to concentrate on the British BWM's since theres such a wide variety of ranks and regiments to collect but not sure yet am I ready to part with them

arnhem44 wrote: »
    That is some collection of Iron Crosses you've put together Dan,tell me would you have to wait long before a different varition comes along since some of the Crosses are more common than the others or would they be readily availible to buy on the open market.I've been playing with the idea of selling all the WW2 medals to concentrate on the British BWM's since theres such a wide variety of ranks and regiments to collect but not sure yet am I ready to part with them

I know that feeling! I was loath to part with some of my items, but having done it, I haven't looked back. With the money raised from the other sales, I was able to add some crosses to my collection that I would not have been able to purchase otherwise.

The British BWM's sounds like it could be a very serious collecting area if you decided to try for each rank and regiment...
    There are lots of collections out there with examples of lots of various medals, but far fewer concentrate on a theme such as that.
    ...I say go for it!!! :D

As to the differing makers of Iron Crosses... No, the rarer makers are not at all readily available. I know of collectors who have been waiting for years to find just one particular maker. I admit I have been lucky with what I have managed to find so far, but there's still a few that I'm on the search for -unfortunately, all the other EK collectors out there are also looking for the same rare ones too!

Here we have another selection of BWMs that have arrived over the holidays and New Year,first up one to the Eastern Ontario Regiment,the info with the medal is as follows

3321719 Pte. J. A. Lafortune. E.O.R. Lafortune was a Private in the Eastern Ontario Regiment. Born Gatineau Point Quebec, a stationary engineer, he was drafted under the Military Service Act on 11th May 1918. Single Medal Entitlement

030.jpg

Next one to the Quebec Regiment,this one again a single medal entitlement

027.jpg

Next a nice pairing to the Duke of Cornwall Light Infantry

032.jpg

003-1.jpg

Heres one to the 11th London regiment who were the Finsbury Rifles

013-1.jpg

Here's three more,Kings Shropshire Light Infantry,the Royal Fusiliers,this one to a Private in the 11 formed at Hounslow on 6 September 1914,and last one to the Queens Regiment(Royal West Surrey Regiment)

029.jpg

026.jpg

016-1.jpg

The last two,one to the Somerset Light Infantry and one to the Royal Marines,this one having Deal the name of the naval base on the medal before his serial number,name and regiment,this may have something to do with the Royal Marine Brigade,will have to look into it further

011-1.jpg

020.jpg

019-1.jpg

• Advertisement

An interesting one this,this is to the South African Field Telegraph and postal Corps

SAFTPC004.jpg

Advertisement