Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medal Collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

A very nice collection Arnhem44, I collect to Irish regiments myself and will post a few pics soon.I have attached test pic hope it works

14 star and VM to pte M.Hannon RDF,also his brothers VM W.Hannon RDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Hi kabakuyu,welcome to the forum.Very nice trio of medals you have there,a fine 1914 Star and one of his brother's medals also,nice that those are at least still together.Have you researched any of these lads?.I have another few medals I must post up,a couple are to Irish regiments so might do that later on tomorrow when I have a few photos sorted.A few other bits also for the de-acts thread and postcards but ye'll just have to wait,lol.

MM to 5319 PTE.A.Kilkenny 1 Irish Gds.London Gazette 25/1/1918 from Mayo.

Pair to Pte John Francis Tuohy 27451 1st Batt RDF who was killed 27/5/1917
    He was son of J.F. and Brigid Tuohy of Aiden St, Kiltimagh, Co.Mayo.

• Advertisement

Thanks Arnhem44 for the welcome, I research every avenue that I can, as you know yourself its the story of the man that matters most.I can be lucky sometimes and find records on Ancestry but other times you draw a blank, I also look at unit histories, war diaries, the lG, and and any other sources availabe.
    Regards,
    KK

Ok then here's a BWM to Pte.Charles P.Riley of the Connaught Rangers

ConnaughtRangers001.jpg

ConnaughtRangers003.jpg

CharlesPRiley6641MIC.jpg

A BWM and Victory pair to the Monmouth Regiment

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

A pair to the Irish Guards,the lads on the World War 1 forum kindly looked this soldier up for me and provided details on him for me.

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

A single BWM to the 12th Battalion A.I.F

005-1.jpg

006-1.jpg

• Advertisement

This one is a single BWM to the Notts and Derby Regiment,this one has had a lead solder repair done to the suspender which I'm going to get cleaned up as there's no need for this.

008-1.jpg

009-1.jpg

An example of a BWM and Victory pair neatly erased.

018-1.jpg

019-1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Here are a few of mine.

German World War One Veterans Association medal

(Possibly not original ribbon)

Medals55.jpg

Medals56.jpg

Franco Prussian War -

Imperial German Empire Medal for Fighter 1970-1871

(Damaged - no ring or ribbon)

Medals57.jpg

Medals58.jpg

Another Franco-Prussian War Victory Medal

Medals59.jpg

Medals60.jpg

First World War German - Iron Cross and Cross of Honour 1914 - 1918 Front fighters/Hindy cross.

Medals51.jpg

Medals52.jpg

Another Cross of Honour 1914 - 1918

Medals54.jpg

Medals53.jpg

This one was picked up the other day,this was been sold as an erased 1914/15 Star,this I bought to add to the two erased medals from the previous posts as replacements for my Great Grandfathers medals.On closer inspection with a magnifying glass part of the name and number is legible so with a little research it turns out this soldiers name and number was 4380 Pte John Doherty of the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers.

WW1HonourableDischargeCert002-1.jpg

WW1HonourableDischargeCert001-1.jpg

Here is a nice WW1 pairing of a 1914/15 Star named to Cpl.Walter Cornwell of the 6th Leinster Regiment who served in the Gallipoli campaign entering into the theatre of war there on the 5th of August 1915,his BWM shows his rank as 2nd Lieutenant been commissioned on the 14th of April 1917.Cornwell was at this stage after been transferred to the 1st Royal West Kent Regiment and then onto the Essex Regiment,he was also entitled to an IGS medal with clasp for the North Western Frontier campaign in Afghanistan during 1919.He was demobbed from the army in 1920 and he applied for his medals in 1921 with the title of full Lieutenant.Officers had to apply for there medals unlike OR's who had there medals posted out to there address or next of kin.

018-2.jpg

Cornwell.jpg

Cornwell1.jpg

015-1.jpg

016-2.jpg

017-2.jpg

Another BWM here to a private in the 10th Worcesters.

010-1.jpg

011-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

Preusse wrote: »
    Hi dolittle,

nice of you to join in. :)

If you have time please do post some pictures of your family's medals. It would be most interesting.

There may be some dealers who sell some of the replicas. I am not sure of the Mons star but you should check them out.

P.

my apologies for taking so long in posting the pictures
    the first is my grandads WW1 Victory medal (have since got his full army history, fasinating and frightning what these guys went through in the name of peace)
    the second my dads service medals and
    thirdly a medal that looks like ??? i dont know what but someone may be able to educate me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

just a guess about the medal on the chain but it has a garda UN look about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭dolittle

that or some type of sport UN sport medal
    will have to do a bit of detective work on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

I just want to say that these medals are absolutley fascinating! well done to all collecters!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Hi there,

Nice collection! Most likelly you have answers already but just in case...

No. 1 - Bulgarian Royal Order for Military Merit, VI class. If you can post up better scan, I can tell you what period (2nd August 1891 has on the reverse all of them).
    No. 2 and 3 - Great Italian awards with original ribbons. Medal for the Unification of Italy (who is the maker?) and War Merit Cross
    No. 4 Soviet Union Chernobyl Medal
    No. 5 Looks old Iran or Afghanistan but better scan would help

If you ever want to trade No. 1 and No. 5 please let me know ;)

176982913c7987_l.jpg

Hi phaethon,thanks for the info.I did find out what the medals were however the one you have numbered five, the name still eludes me.I must really update this thread as there is so many more to be added.

This is just a single BWM but it belonged to a man who had experienced two momentous events in Irish History,

The Great War and the Easter Rising of 1916, and he also had the misfortune to be wounded in both.I had the

good fortune to find Pte. Byrnes service record on Ancestry and gather the following information.

Pte Michael Byrne was a 28 year old postman from The Demense,Lucan,Co. Dublin who enlisted into the 10 Batt RDF

on the 21/1/1916 stating his Mother Annie of the same address as his NOK.He stood 5ft 6ins with a 38in chest.

The 10th Batt. were a newly formed service Batt. formed from the Commercial Company of the 5th Batt RDF.

They were dubbed the Commercial Pals but there are references to them being also called "Redmonds Shopkeepers"

by local wits.Some of the recruits may also have been members of Redmonds National Volunteers, and would have

had previous military training.

By the 24/4/1916 the 10th were stationed at Royal Barracks,Dublin,(Now Collins Barracks).Approx 37 officers and

430 men of the 10th were in the barracks that day when Rebel forces occupied key buildings around Dublin, when

rifle fire was heard around the city some companies of the 10th were mobilised for action.

The RDF had their first contact with the Rebels at the Medicity Institute where the rebels were led by Captain

Sean Heuston and 15 men who were to prevent and delay crown forces from relieving Dublin Castle.Byrne was most

likely wounded in this or a subsequent action as his SR states he received bullet wounds to the chest, abdomen,

and arm on the 24/4/16 in the Dublin Rebellion.Further notes from his SR refer to 6 puncture wound from shrapnel,

and his addmission to King George V Hospitial Dublin on the 13/5/16 with GSW's (various).Newspaper reports from

the period suggest Byrne was first treated at the Meath Hospital.

Pte. Byrne appears to have made a full recovery as he was with his battalion when it went to France on the 18/8/16

Where they joined 190th Infantry Brig of the 63rd royal Naval division.September and October was spent learning

trench warfare and preparing for the next offensive.This came on the 13th of November when the battalion went in to

action with the 63rd Div in the battle of the Ancre, over the next 3 days the battalion suffered 242 casualties from

an initial attacking force of 493 officers and men.I dont know whem Michael Byrne was wounded but he was in the 3rd

Canadian general Hospitial on the 15/11/16 with a shrapnel wound to his back.He was shipped back to England on the

18/11/16 to recuperate at the Cambridge Hospital , Aldershot.

Byrne never went back into action but did attend bombing and anti gas school at Otley on two occasions in 1917/18

and finished the war with the rank of L/Serjeant,Byrne was discharged on the 21/2/1919

and his character was described as very good, he was entitled to the BWM and VM.All in all a fascinating journey for

an Irish soldier

kabakuyu wrote: »
    This is just a single BWM but it belonged to a man who had experienced two momentous events in Irish History,

The Great War and the Easter Rising of 1916, and he also had the misfortune to be wounded in both.I had the

good fortune to find Pte. Byrnes service record on Ancestry and gather the following information.

Pte Michael Byrne was a 28 year old postman from The Demense,Lucan,Co. Dublin who enlisted into the 10 Batt RDF

on the 21/1/1916 stating his Mother Annie of the same address as his NOK.He stood 5ft 6ins with a 38in chest.

The 10th Batt. were a newly formed service Batt. formed from the Commercial Company of the 5th Batt RDF.

They were dubbed the Commercial Pals but there are references to them being also called "Redmonds Shopkeepers"

by local wits.Some of the recruits may also have been members of Redmonds National Volunteers, and would have

had previous military training.

By the 24/4/1916 the 10th were stationed at Royal Barracks,Dublin,(Now Collins Barracks).Approx 37 officers and

430 men of the 10th were in the barracks that day when Rebel forces occupied key buildings around Dublin, when

rifle fire was heard around the city some companies of the 10th were mobilised for action.

The RDF had their first contact with the Rebels at the Medicity Institute where the rebels were led by Captain

Sean Heuston and 15 men who were to prevent and delay crown forces from relieving Dublin Castle.Byrne was most

likely wounded in this or a subsequent action as his SR states he received bullet wounds to the chest, abdomen,

and arm on the 24/4/16 in the Dublin Rebellion.Further notes from his SR refer to 6 puncture wound from shrapnel,

and his addmission to King George V Hospitial Dublin on the 13/5/16 with GSW's (various).Newspaper reports from

the period suggest Byrne was first treated at the Meath Hospital.

Pte. Byrne appears to have made a full recovery as he was with his battalion when it went to France on the 18/8/16

Where they joined 190th Infantry Brig of the 63rd royal Naval division.September and October was spent learning

trench warfare and preparing for the next offensive.This came on the 13th of November when the battalion went in to

action with the 63rd Div in the battle of the Ancre, over the next 3 days the battalion suffered 242 casualties from

an initial attacking force of 493 officers and men.I dont know whem Michael Byrne was wounded but he was in the 3rd

Canadian general Hospitial on the 15/11/16 with a shrapnel wound to his back.He was shipped back to England on the

18/11/16 to recuperate at the Cambridge Hospital , Aldershot.

Byrne never went back into action but did attend bombing and anti gas school at Otley on two occasions in 1917/18

and finished the war with the rank of L/Serjeant,Byrne was discharged on the 21/2/1919

and his character was described as very good, he was entitled to the BWM and VM.All in all a fascinating journey for

an Irish soldier

Excellent piece of history. It's amazing how many fascinating stories those Irishmen had which were never told and only come to light through records research based on medals and service history.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

kabakuyu wrote: »

Great medal and research! I was lucky and picked up as well one 10th RDF Victory Medal. Belonged to the Cork prison guard.

Can you please educate me and advice from where you found the details regarding his wounding on the Western Front? Does some casualty clearing station reports/lists exist online or Kew? Or to you have his service papers?

Also I would be very interested to find out was "my man" in the barracks during the Easter Rising or not? You can see mine under my collection posts.

Again, thanks for posting very nice research!

Kind Regards,

Timo aka Noor

• Advertisement

Or to you have his service papers?
    I was very lucky to find his service record on Ancestry which confirms all the research.To be honest,I'm a bit lazy with research but I try to buy only medals with service records if possible(not always),I will post some more research relating to other medals later.
    Also I would be very interested to find out was "my man" in the barracks during the Easter Rising or not?
    I can't tell for sure unless he was wounded or mentioned somewhere else, but I would imagine he was with the Battalion at the time and therefore involved in the Rising in some capacity.
    Best regards,
    KK.

Advertisement