Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help building Phase Change Cooler

Options
  • 03-04-2008 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

I'm considering building the above. I am cofident that I can build it, and even match up the various bits needed, cap tube length and all that. I'm from a technical background. Can even source parts on the net. The real problem is investing in a vacum pump and hoses. In addition, I gather you cannot buy gas without a License. Does anyone know of someone with refrigeration experience, who also has an interest in PC's? or anyone who is generally interested in the same kind of thing even?

I see a post from unseen showing pic's of a cascade, has he made it to Ireland?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Awhir, his family business is refrigeration

Got a Prometia here, u can buy it :D
    http://www.crazypc.com/products/9290GT.html

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭peterpiper

Cheers, you can buy custom ones from people on xtremesystems and at a cheaper price, but I fancy the fun in building one! It would also be nice to meet people with similar interest. Is Awhir into this type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

www.whiriskey.com :)

just list me what you need.

also im not in the buisness my self but its family and i can ask the storeman if he can get them in for you,

about vacum pumps we have plenty,we also have all the gas under the moon :)

you we allso need refrigeration copper.

Lol first time , talken about refrigeration and pc's :D

That was quick Awhir! What about license for Gases? I was considering if it was a problem, would someone with the right resources be able to charge the unit? I asked the original question because someone who was also into pc's would be more simpathetic to such nerdy activity. If I can get my hands on the refrigerant that would be different.

Thanks for the Link, are you into this type of extreme cooling yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Under the moon ? Isnt the saying " under the sun " ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

aw wicked. first phase change on boards?!

work log or you die peter!

anti, what happened to ur ad on adverts?!

Ya we can charge it for you no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

aw wicked. first phase change on boards?!

work log or you die peter!

anti, what happened to ur ad on adverts?!

Im banned from adverts for telling some guy with a pc worth about 600, but was asking for 2000 to revise his price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

ah right. so your ad got deleted due to the ban?
    im shocked i didnt get banned for that one aswel :p

peter any ideas when your starting this monster build?

Just researching at the moment. Xtremesystems is a great source of info, but as usual money comes into it. I'm looking at maybe buying a complete Evap/ Suction line as in this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=170725. Depends on price, but it would take the big hassle part out of it. After that it's really a Compressor and a Condenser. The Danfoss NL11F seems to be a popular choice of Compressor, which I gather can handle R404A Refrigerant (needs more research!), Not sure about a condenser, trying to find how to size these up? Cap tube length can be estimated from here http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=29694. 225Watt load Average seems to be standard to aim for. After this it gets tricky.. Test for Leaks, Vacum the system and charge with refrigerant. With a Load tester, I think you balance the system by incresing/ decreasing cap tube length..? Anyway more research first. But help and suggestions are welcomed, hence starting the Thread..!

• Advertisement

We stock a wide range of danfoss parts including compresseors,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

awhir wrote: »

:rolleyes: Pimp

awhir wrote: »

Can you price the NL11F for me? PM me the price if you wish. What do you think on the refrigerant R404A Awhir? Can I get my hands on some or could someone help me charge it? Do you work with Refrigeration yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭unseen

Heheee , you can call yourself lucky :D

I found a job in Swords Bussiness park and i am looking for a house in Dublin 9. so i think we are close.

I will return back from Greece at 29/4 with some evaps,flex hoses, gauses etc. We can assemble one single stage system together in your garage if you want :)

Do you want it for 24/7 or for benchmarks?

bring back lots of evaps :)

I can indeed call myself lucky! I'll be away the end of the month for a few days myself.. back the 26th. I'm looking for 24/7 cooling really. I have a Vapo XE, bought second hand on Adverts (12v).. I'm waiting on a hold down from Duniek on xtreme systems, but I'm not expecting much in terms of performance! Happy Days.. We'll stay in touch..!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

unseen wrote: »
    I will return back from Greece at 29/4 with some evaps,flex hoses, gauses etc. We can assemble one single stage system together in your garage if you want :)

Inspector Gadget right there^ :p

Heheee , you can call yourself lucky :D

I found a job in Swords Bussiness park and i am looking for a house in Dublin 9. so i think we are close.

Hey Unseen, I'm sure I've seen your name around other forums with respect to phase change, under the ice and a few others. What's the e.t.c that you'll be bringing with you, I assume you're flying?
    I don't unfortunately have a garage but we could poss do some bits and pieces where I work. What's you're suss like on Parts? and what do you think about getting hands on some refrigerant?
    I should point out I have nothing at the moment but a keen interest!

peterpiper wrote: »
    Hey Unseen, I'm sure I've seen your name around other forums with respect to phase change, under the ice and a few others. What's the e.t.c that you'll be bringing with you, I assume you're flying?
    I don't unfortunately have a garage but we could poss do some bits and pieces where I work. What's you're suss like on Parts? and what do you think about getting hands on some refrigerant?
    I should point out I have nothing at the moment but a keen interest!

Hi there

sorry for my late reply..

Well i am in dublin and i will bring from greece with cargo all my stuff in a few weeks. Of course i will bring my tools if the trasport cost is not too high.

Else a friend of mine has some tools and gas(r410) here that we can borrow.

What are you thinking about the case? Have you designed anything?
    Do you like my design? If yes i can give you the blueprint, but we have to find a company to make it for us here.

This is for 24/7
    hpim23625qa.jpg

And this is a rotary caseless ss for heavy benching ;)
    hpim3421189.jpg

Nice Work! I have a friend who is a sheet metal worker. He works for himself, and he has a small workshop in Wexford. I can talk to him to see what he may be able to do.

• Advertisement

Nice Work! I have a friend who is a sheet metal worker. He works for himself, and he has a small workshop in Wexford. I can talk to him to see what he may be able to do.

Had a word with my mate, he'd be happy to look at the drawings for you. If he couldn't manage them himself he knows people with proper lazer cutting and bending who could knock them out. Prob require a large order though?

What do you think on parts, should I look into getting my hands on a Compressor. I was thinking a NL11F, maybe a Dimas mid sized Condenser. I priced Evaps with Suction Line from Piotres too.

I've looked back through your posts here, maybe there are other people in front of me who have expressed an interest? Should I be getting in line?

Check if you can find NEK2150GK Aspera compressor. NL11F is not so powerfull... Quad core cpus are too hot!

I will send you the designs in a few days (i dont have them right now with me). They are in autocad format.

Condesers from Andreas are good, and they perform ok.
    If you can wait i will bring with me some of the famous "eleven" evaps ;)
    else buy from andrea a flexy hose/evap kit ready.( i think i have some in house left too)

Check if you can find NEK2150GK Aspera compressor. NL11F is not so powerfull... Quad core cpus are too hot!

I will send you the designs in a few days (i dont have them right now with me). They are in autocad format.

Condesers from Andreas are good, and they perform ok.
    If you can wait i will bring with me some of the famous "eleven" evaps ;)
    else buy from andrea a flexy hose/evap kit ready.( i think i have some in house left too)

I've found an Embraco NEK2150GK on http://www.kaeltetechnik-shop.at but it's €145...ouch! is that the same as the Aspera one?
    The Dimas Condenser you say is good, only good? can you recommend anything better?
    In terms of Parts, I've not started anything, so I'm prepared to wait to see what you can bring. If you think you have some evaps, then well and good.

I should also ask what do you charge for all this? I initially toyed with the idea of getting a complete unit from little devil. But I like the idea of building stuff, and learning something new. I'd also thought it might be cheaper than buying a complete one (I accept all the required tools and refrigerant aren't cheap!). I'd be happy to meet you when you get settled and we can discuss this if it's easier that way?
    And if you prefer to build them yourself and sell them complete, well I could still be interested..

Hi again,

Yes embraco and aspera is the same company. This is the best compressor for 24/7 usage. Powerfull,efficient,silent and reliable. The price is quite high and you have to calculate the shipping costs too.
    I was getting this compressor a lot less... 1/3 of the price but in Greece. Maybe because i was getting 24 pieces each time.

I wont charge you anything(only the evap kit), because i wont do anything :D I will simply watching YOU assembling it next to you. In one afternoon it will be ready.
    Hmm... maybe i will charge you a beer.. :D

I dont want guys to give you fishes, i want to learn you fishing :)
    I am not doing this for living. I am not in HVAC area. I am overclocker.

By the way i rent a house in Artane. Are we close?

Cool, No probs.. I'm all up for learning. Artane is not too far away, I'm only 5 minutes from the Airport.
    I take it you are already here and moved in, but you don't have all your equipment yet? I'll send you a PM..

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭requiem1

don't want to pry but i'd be interested in watching this come together, would you mind if i join the festivities? i'll bring booze:D

Peter i sent you a pm.

I will upload pictures of the tools we will need so that you will start collecting them.

requiem1 wrote: »
    don't want to pry but i'd be interested in watching this come together, would you mind if i join the festivities? i'll bring booze:D

Hey Requiem, It'll be while before anything happens. Not too sure where it will be built yet, but stay tuned..

Ahwir, not sure if you are still tuned in? Do you think you could get a price on the Embreco/ Aspear Compressor?

• Advertisement

Ahwir, not sure if you are still tuned in? Do you think you could get a price on the Embreco/ Aspear Compressor?

just asked my dad there and he said he'd be able to get them in ,can you give me the model and i can ask the store manager for a price.

Advertisement