Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

in the unlikely event?

• 03-04-2008 11:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭

Alright guys. i like all this theorethical stuff.( reading some of the other threads funny too). i have often thought about what would happen in the event of like a world war 3 on our home turf.
    What would you do?
    Would you hide or fight?
    Where would you get weapons?( assume of course the pdf and rdf had been quashed(remeber i did say unlikely)
    Favourite mode of transport?

have to say i am fan of all apocolyptic stuff.

so answers on a postcard,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Martron wrote: »
    i have often thought about what would happen in the event of like a world war 3 on our home turf.

What would you do?

the carbonised dust that would pass for your earthly remains would gently glow in the semi-darkness.

as you claim to be omnipresent - and you might well be after the surface of the Earth had been scoured of life by the explosive power of billions of tons of TNT and temperatures reaching that of the surface of the Sun - the carbonised dust we just spoke of would be floating - and probably glowing attractively - through the atmosphere in clouds of multi-cultural remains.

the perhaps, though only marginally, less sarcastic answer would be 'losing'.

welcome to the Military forum, i hope you like it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

is this the military forum or poetry forum? only asked question to see what other favourite weapons, tanks, tactics were.

and by tanks i meant modes of military transport.
    p.s. thanks for the warm welcome

Martron wrote: »
    is this the military forum or poetry forum? only asked question to see what other favourite weapons, tanks, tactics were.

against what?

there is an equally bizaare 'how would we do in a war?' thread somewhere else in the MF.

'be utterly fcuked' is the answer you are looking for.

look at a map, have even the most basic, passing knowledge (the kind of knowledge you get in 'my first Atlas') of the countries that are Irelands' neighbours - both near and far - and ask yourself some very basic Socratic questions about your premise.

as for your appallingly badly written - and worded - question:

(i) Personal Weapon, GPMG - or, if i'm being clever, a radio.

(ii) Challenger 2, not as reliable as a M1A2 Abrams, but its boiling vessel means that even if it breaks down you've always got a hot brew while the REME drag it back to base.

(iii) Tactic, win, preferably at no risk or discomfort to myself. this usually entails killing the other bloke before he knows you want to kill him with a weapon he can't see, stop or survive.

as for your appallingly badly written - and worded - question:

(i) Personal Weapon, GPMG - or, if i'm being clever, a radio.

(ii) Challenger 2, not as reliable as a M1A2 Abrams, but its boiling vessel means that even if it breaks down you've always got a hot brew while the REME drag it back to base.

(iii) Tactic, win, preferably at no risk or discomfort to myself. this usually entails killing the other bloke before he knows you want to kill him with a weapon he can't see, stop or survive.[/QUOTE]

Badly worded and written? again is this the grammar section of the forums?

Gpmg? ever tried to carry that around? bit heavy for personal weapon? Assualt rifles not good enough for you? i undestand that you want more bang for your buck but its a bit ridiculous if your country over run by our neighbours ( which i understand are superpowers!!! and i thought i was in the walter mitty section where unrealistic questions were welcome)and you were hiding in your rubble pile of a house. Gpmg i would have figured would be great support weapon as in if you had a bunch of mates with other weapons like rifles etc etc. i would not like to be on the receiving end of it but i would not like to have advance quickly backwards while hauling that and its ammo.

Challenger 2? in ireland? you obviously stole this somehow off the invading british force somehow. oh right it must have been with your featherlight gpmg.

as for tactics, winning is an objective not a tactic. tactics are what you use to reach an objective!

• Advertisement

i am fully aware of the weight of a GPMG and its attendant ammunition, my (sadly all too signifcant) experience of carrying it allows me to decide for myself whether it's too heavy or not.

you made no indication in your post (again see the 'badly written and worded' bit) about any of the 'favourite toys' having to be in Irish service or available in Ireland. ths also mpacts on the 'whats your favourite tank?' question, as Ireland doesn't have any tanks.

the hint here is that if a reasonably intelligent person, ie: one who can tie their own shoelaces, cross the road and walk, talk and breathe at the same time, doesn't understand the question you've written, its because its been written and worded badly.

and actually, the way i've described 'winning' is to make it a tactic. what did you want, "i like to crawl in the grass"?

OS119 wrote: »
    i am fully aware of the weight of a GPMG and its attendant ammunition, my (sadly all too signifcant) experience of carrying it allows me to decide for myself whether it's too heavy or not.

you made no indication in your post (again see the 'badly written and worded' bit) about any of the 'favourite toys' having to be in Irish service or available in Ireland. ths also mpacts on the 'whats your favourite tank?' question, as Ireland doesn't have any tanks.

the hint here is that if a reasonably intelligent person, ie: one who can tie their own shoelaces, cross the road and walk, talk and breathe at the same time, doesn't understand the question you've written, its because its been written and worded badly.

and actually, the way i've described 'winning' is to make it a tactic. what did you want, "i like to crawl in the grass"?

sure what is the point in debating about this stuff if you are just going to moan about the wording of a question. if you did not understand it try starting off small like using velcro on your shoes!

i never once stated that any of the gear had to be irish issue. And i suppose if i was to have any weapon i would pick a tank or a jet fighter of some sort but i was trying to make it interesting suggestting that we had been invaded by some force and the gear you were going to use was not exactly going to appear from thing air.

and i was only questioning the fact that the gpmg was a big ass gun and would not be my preference. and you are entitled to your own opinion but you could have thrown in why you reckon the weight was well worth the other advantages of the gun.

but sure if you want to be a total smart ass and take the fun out of this so called light hearted forum grand go ahead be like a smart ass and try and sneak in that you had experience with a gmpg and make us all think that you were in some army of some sort and that you had "experience". Playing operation flashpoint does not count as experience.

Good Luck

you have two eyes and one mouth. you would do yourself a favour if you used them in that ratio.

not one of your questions was remotely original, all of them have been asked on the first two pages of this forum - and a hundred times in its long life. you might have a marginally less snotty response if you'd had the courtesy to do a little reading before you offered your opus to the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

Back to the partisan thing, if i thought irelands meagre defences were broken and it was only a matter of time before my home town would be overrun, then i'd have to think hard about the invading force and the severity of their occupation.
    If i thought occupation would be unbearable i'd take what supplies i could and retreat on my own or with a small group of people, out to the countryside, as remote as i could to begin with (not theres anyplace particularily remote here anymore). I try and appropriate a weapon, probably of the civil variaty like a farmers shotgun or rifle. Then i'd try and find or build a reasonably secure hideout.
    From there i would scout around and looking for main roads or anyother sort of occupational infrastructure, i'd examine the locals too to see if they could be trusted and would help me casually with supplies or intel.
    Eventually when i thought i could do enough damage without revealing or greatly endagering myself, i would strike. Possibly with explosives or shootings it depends. I coudl be targeting officers, damaging communications or amenities. Starting off with the low profile may be the best, a clipped wire gives less of a response then a bomb or a bullet after all. On the other hand i may only get oen oppertunity.

Kaiser_Sma wrote: »
    Back to the partisan thing, if i thought irelands meagre defences were broken and it was only a matter of time before my home town would be overrun, then i'd have to think hard about the invading force and the severity of their occupation.
    If i thought occupation would be unbearable i'd take what supplies i could and retreat on my own or with a small group of people, out to the countryside, as remote as i could to begin with (not theres anyplace particularily remote here anymore). I try and appropriate a weapon, probably of the civil variaty like a farmers shotgun or rifle. Then i'd try and find or build a reasonably secure hideout.
    From there i would scout around and looking for main roads or anyother sort of occupational infrastructure, i'd examine the locals too to see if they could be trusted and would help me casually with supplies or intel.
    Eventually when i thought i could do enough damage without revealing or greatly endagering myself, i would strike. Possibly with explosives or shootings it depends. I coudl be targeting officers, damaging communications or amenities. Starting off with the low profile may be the best, a clipped wire gives less of a response then a bomb or a bullet after all. On the other hand i may only get oen oppertunity.

Thats more like it.

• Advertisement

OS119 wrote: »
    you have two eyes and one mouth. you would do yourself a favour if you used them in that ratio.

not one of your questions was remotely original, all of them have been asked on the first two pages of this forum - and a hundred times in its long life. you might have a marginally less snotty response if you'd had the courtesy to do a little reading before you offered your opus to the world.

whatever man get a life. i never once said my questions were original.I am new to this forum stuff but your kind words really want me to bother my hole to read the rest of this.And if any of the other people were even as half as an asshole as you i would not bother with the rest of it.

You are a pure muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kaiser_Sma

OS119: If you really think his questions are unoriginal, then the correct response is not to post. It would correspond with the eye/mouth ratio better wouldn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭mr.miagi

dont ya jus hate the smartass!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Don't know much about this stuff but as for main weapon I'd prefer a centerfire, if anyway possible semi-auto sporter rifle or if I'd be really lucky scrounge an assault rifle from somewhere. And let the streak of luck continue : ordinary sights rather than a scoped one and of a common calibre, say a .223 or .303 or .308. Even more important, a lifetime supply of matches or disposable lighters and last but not least a good general purpose knife.

As for fighting : keep the head low. What's one lad going to do against an army ? Watch and watch some more, see if you can discover certain routines that give you a bit of a hope to build your movements around in order not to get caught.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Being fat,foul and over fourty.I would let the youngsters off to form whatever short lived gureilla groups they want to out in the huge mountain fastness or great wooded tracts in Ireland.:rolleyes:

Unless by some GREAT fluke we managed to destroy or have destroyed Garda HQ with it's PULSE computor.Every man jack of us who own a firearm can expect a visit from the new management of Ireland,requesting at gunpoint our legally held ,liscensed and registerd firearms.
    So that leaves us with the option of either aquiring one back off the new management in the safest possible manner to ourselves,whatever it might be.And returning it to them,bullets first at the most suitable time to you individually.
    Best bet would be if you want to hit back,lone wolf,leaderless resistance tactics.Doesnt mean you have to shoot everyday an invading storm trooper.You could ,say you work in a clerical position,screw up the paperwork once in awhile,eff up the computor,etc.Mightnt look like much,but if say two other people are doing it in your dept,two others in the village are doing their thing to the invading army in their professions.Six are doing it in the nearest town,etc.Life will become uncomfortable for an invading army.Just through "daily FK up"s.
    It is said if you want find a needle in a haystack,you just might.So make sure you know which needle you are looking for in the haystack.There might be more than one.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement