Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail sneak Worzel Gummidge [Bev] back in

Options
  • 03-04-2008 11:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

FF have taken the sneaky move of readmitting Beverly Flynn while all the media attention is on Bertie
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0403/flynnb.html

Beverly Flynn readmitted to FF
    Thursday, 3 April 2008 20:51

Mayo TD Beverly Flynn has been readmitted to the Fianna Fáil party at this evening's meeting of its National Executive.

She was expelled from the party following her unsuccessful libel action against RTE.

It is understood tonight's vote was unanimous.

Her readmission to the Parliamentary Party will be considered on Tuesday evening, but is likely to approved without difficulty.

This means she will be able to vote in the leadership election, should there be one, on Wednesday morning.

This evening, Ms Flynn told RTÉ News she was 'over the moon' to be back in the party.

She said she had not given any thought to who she would vote for, although it was looking unlikely that there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Business as usual in the "new improved" Bertieless FF. Grubby is the appropriate word here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

You have GOT to be joking.....PLEASE tell me this was posted 2 days ago and was somehow delayed in cyberspace ????

I GIVE UP!!!!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You all seem surprised? Would you have expected anything less from Fianna Fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

This has been on the cards for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

breakingnews are now confirming that
    I recall hearing a rumour that her return was down to daddy knowing stuff on Mr. Ahern. This is just fodder for those conspiracy theorists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

I see Bev returns as the spotlight is firmly on other issues. Basically the old political trick of getting somethings through under the radar in times when they would otherwise be noticed and debated.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

Maybe some FF supporters would like to come and justify this move?
    I cant believe people still vote for them. bunch of crooks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Threads merged, and titled edited for clarity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Many moons ago, there was another story, involving her sister and a schoolbus. Since then of course, schoolbuses are in the spotlight for all the most unfortunate of reasons.

Nothing to do with Bev, I'm sure, but it seems that the strain of arrogance runs deep in that family...

• Advertisement

Bev in fairness is not responsible for her sister and Im not sure if that post has anything really to do with the current thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

kbannon wrote: »
    breakingnews are now confirming that
    I recall hearing a rumour that her return was down to daddy knowing stuff on Mr. Ahern. This is just fodder for those conspiracy theorists!

There's enough actual questions to be answered without adding rumours into the equation....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Funny how bertie describes the legal profession as 'low-life' and flynn is welcomed back into the party. Bertie and the FF party are laughing at us all. This is a 'banana republic'.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Listen this has been on the cards for a long time and is definetly something bertie had to do before he leaves.
    After all he has never really distanced himself from her or the flynns.

The big thing that I believe was holding this back was trouble in the ranks down in Mayo as some of the local party faithful didn't want to see her back.
    It meant that next time round she is on the ticket and they may not.
    Bit like Jackie Helay Rae and his reaosns for leaving the fold.

Also timing was perfect. Might as well bury it under other news.

And yes AFAIK her sister did operate school bus without proper documentation etc.
    The apples didn't fall far from the tree there.

I am not allowed discuss …

jmayo wrote: »
    Listen this has been on the cards for a long time and is definetly something bertie had to do before he leaves.
    After all he has never really distanced himself from her or the flynns.
    True, it has been and whoever says that it has anything to do with Pee appearing at the Mahon tribunal next week is just trying to stir it up.

daithicarr wrote: »
    Maybe some FF supporters would like to come and justify this move?
    I cant believe people still vote for them. bunch of crooks.

Members of Fianna Fail do not have to justify every move.

I'm a member and I think its outrageous.

As for Healy Rae, if he were allowed back in, think I'd jump ship. But can't ever see that happening, it's far from an amicable relationship.

from http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojgbkfauey/
    Speaking in Dublin this morning, Mr Ahern said he felt the time was right for her to return as she had now dealt with all the outstanding costs arising from the libel action.
    Was she expelled because she took a libel action against RTE and failed or because she was embroiled in a tax evasion scandal?

She was initially expelled over the allegation, not that she was not tax compliant, but that she had encouraged others to evade tax whilst an employee of NIB. I don't believe anything was ever proved against her or the many many other bank employees across the board who handled bogus non-resident accounts - though the banks themselves were obviously censured at the time. She was readmitted, but expelled again after she lost her libel action against RTE for reports on the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

I don't believe anything was ever proved against her
    Then how did the libel action fail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭nhughes100

Libel laws are different then common or criminal law afaik. This is classic stuff, burying a bad news story when something big is going on is standerd fair for government and civil service. Remember the female civil servant in the UK that told her staff to send bad news out to the press during the week of 9/11. At least she got caught.

Notwithstanding people who are bankrupt can't be TD's but then again you're supposed to have a tax clearance cert too.

Ah sure FF doesn't seem the same without a Flynn on board. Don't be surprised if she gets a junior minister job, she's done her porridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Didn't Brian Cowen propose to get her kicked out of FF in the first place? Wonder how he feels about her returning now. I did hear her on the radio today saying she gets on fine with Cowen though and talking him up, I suppose she has to try and find a way to get onto his good side though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

It gets worse. She wants to be a Minister now:
    Mayo TD Beverley Flynn has said it would be a great honour for her to hold a ministerial office, but she said that decision would be up to Brian Cowen as the next Taoiseach.

Speaking on RTÉ Radio's News At One, Beverley Flynn said she considers herself to be quite close to Brian Cowen, despite the fact that he was the politician who originally proposed her expulsion from the Fianna Fáil party.

She said she felt their relationship was 100%, although as she has been out of the party in recent years, she had not had much opportunity to meet him.

But Beverley Flynn would not be drawn on whether she felt she stood a better chance of becoming a minister had Bertie Ahern remained as Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Breezer wrote: »
    It gets worse. She wants to be a Minister now:

Listen there is good chance she will or else the option is Calleary.
    Either way FF will want to push something to Mayo to try and get one of the three FG seats back.
    Maybe they will create a few new junior ministers :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

But wouldn't other FF TD's feel pretty pissed if she got promoted to Junior Minister ahead of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

could they not just make juniour minister posts for all of them, like those old latin american countrys whos military was top heavy, if all the officers got a promotion they were unlikely to rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

But wouldn't other FF TD's feel pretty pissed if she got promoted to Junior Minister ahead of them?

There’s nothing that FF does that would surprise anyone and what make me so disappointed about the republic is that if there was a vote tomorrow morning they’d get right back in!:(

Do any of our TD’s understand what holding office really means?

The rot is from the top down! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭SeanW

It all kinda reminds me of the Provisional License fiasco.

The message from Dempsey was crystal clear - 2nd provisional licensholedoers had 4 days to get off the road followed by a major clampdown on unaccompanied L-Platers in emergency legislation. The total number of people affected was in the region of 250,000. [paraphrase]On Tuesday, if you're driving unnacompanied on a provo license, WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN YOU LAWBREAKING SCUM".[/paraphrase] Oh, by the way, we're givng ourselves a 40% pay rise.
    could they not just make juniour minister posts for all of them, like those old latin american countrys whos military was top heavy, if all the officers got a promotion they were unlikely to rebel.
    Actually, they've gone down that road a little creating a bunch of new Ministerial posts for Food, Drugs etc. A nice "jobs for de boys" scheme.

I keep hoping one day we as a nation will have the cop on to kick these muppets out on their backsides come election day, but ... recent history has forced me to be more realistic.

SeanW wrote: »
    It all kinda reminds me of the Provisional License fiasco.

The message from Dempsey was crystal clear - 2nd provisional licensholedoers had 4 days to get off the road followed by a major clampdown on unaccompanied L-Platers in emergency legislation. The total number of people affected was in the region of 250,000. [paraphrase]On Tuesday, if you're driving unnacompanied on a provo license, WE WILL HUNT YOU DOWN YOU LAWBREAKING SCUM".[/paraphrase] Oh, by the way, we're givng ourselves a 40% pay rise.

Actually, they've gone down that road a little creating a bunch of new Ministerial posts for Food, Drugs etc. A nice "jobs for de boys" scheme.

I keep hoping one day we as a nation will have the cop on to kick these muppets out on their backsides come election day, but ... recent history has forced me to be more realistic.

Huh? Provisional licences? Jobs for the boys? Backsides?

Any chance of an opinion on topic? Bev? The expulsions? The reacceptance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I thought his comments were relevant seen as how the topic title and the opening sentence in the thread relates to FF "sneaking" in bad news. I don't however think it's a trait unique to the FF party.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Come on, don't niggle the poster.

I know where I stand. This is Ray Burke all over again, lines in the sand, etc. Very bad, destructive people were promoted on Bertie's watch, and when bad stuff came to light, they were excused and supported all the way. Good men run out of office, etc. He is STILL promoting such people, even as he goes down in flames. Bev is a very poor example of ethics in politics, and we really should be giving an apathetic voting public a better sign of moving forward with the times.

Advertisement