Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Reserving a reg number on a used import?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible, I'm familiar with reserving numbers on new cars, but is it possible to do it on a used import, as long as the number is available and it's not higher than the last number registered in that year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Yes, if the car has not been registered in Ireland already. Although on older cars going back may be 10 yrs or so, they may try and fob you off and say no - not for that year or that far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The number I want is 900.
    899 and 901 are both taken, but 900 has no car attached to it. maybe there's a reason why. I'm reasonably friendly with the staff in the local VRO, maybe they can give me some information.

It's an 80's car.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mantaraver

Saab Turbo ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There should be no problem Colm. Rounded off numbers are normally withheld for sale later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

You will notice (using cartell) that for most years the following numbers are not allocated:

xx - x - 11

xx - x - 22

xx - x - 33

xx - x - 44

etc.

xx - x - 111

xx - x - 222

xx - x - 333

etc

xx - x - 1111

xx - x - 2222

xx - x - 3333

etc.

xx - x - 100

xx - x - 200

xx - x - 300

etc.

are not assigned to any car.

I reckon the VRO know that there will be someone willing to pay for these numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

You will notice (using cartell) that for most years the following numbers are not allocated:

xx - x - 11

xx - x - 22

xx - x - 33

xx - x - 44

etc.

xx - x - 111

xx - x - 222

xx - x - 333

etc

xx - x - 1111

xx - x - 2222

xx - x - 3333

etc.

xx - x - 100

xx - x - 200

xx - x - 300

etc.

are not assigned to any car.

I reckon the VRO know that there will be someone willing to pay for these numbers.

yep exactly right,

I got 98 - XX - 666 for my recent import, and paid revenue €315 for the privilage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Is it possible to reserve a different countys reg in your home county?Ie if you vrt the car in dublin can you get a C/WX ect reg or would have have to travel to the specific county for the reg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

eireal wrote: »
    Is it possible to reserve a different countys reg in your home county?Ie if you vrt the car in dublin can you get a C/WX ect reg or would have have to travel to the specific county for the reg

AFAIK, the car must have with the county reg that is on the VLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

yes, you can - I know who got xx-x-911, only last year.........no-one ever bothered to take it up, and he only asked by chance if it was available, and they said yes, it was............10+ years later !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The number I want is 900.
    899 and 901 are both taken, but 900 has no car attached to it. maybe there's a reason why.

Do you just use cartell to check this, or is there another site out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I used cartell and the merlin auctions automated entry form to find out.

@mantaraver: good guess! yeah, it's a Saab Turbo Aero with goodies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

A guy that used to work where I work recently picked up his new 08 - KE - 8 car..... any guesses to what it is?

Yep an Audi R8

Advertisement