Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning - An Idiotic Activity

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It's also just as logically possible that you're an idiot though.

It would explain your lack of social skills and inability to grasp simple concepts, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭Article43

Wait a second, I thought a prerequisite of signing up to boards was to have some cop on? Guess not in this case.

Thank you Ronny, I have said that already today but not one person listened - you are very aware of your surroundings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

1207263177.jpg

If you linked this thread to the Wikipedia, it'd be a supporting resource for the explanation of "SO'S YOUR FACE!"

I have seen some long nicks today - but I should have know it would be a mod - must be a clan thing, maybe ye are all little gamer fellows who shoot guns at each other all day :rolleyes:

Slow coach wrote: »
    I'm officially stalking you. Do your worst.

Dammit, why isn't there a :sadistic: smilie?

And nobody PM'ed me about this thread. I go looking in other fora for 10 minutes and a whole thread bursts into life. Slow coaches like fun too, ya know.

Well - you do live up to your name, I will say that at least for you :D

• Advertisement

Article43 wrote: »
    Thank you Ronny, I have said that already today but not one person listened - you are very aware of your surroundings.
    I call shenanigans!

It was a good troll, and I'll admit it had me fooled, but this is the one that demonstrates it.

He can't really be this thick.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

so; I called them idiots.

See that was why you were banned. One of the main rules of boards is attack the post not the poster. If you had stated that the poster was wrong and then showed how they were wrong we wouldn't be here.

The reason this is, is because calling someone an idiot doesn't accomplish anything and may cause them to say something similar back and before you know it the thread has descended into nothing but abuse. Showing them how they are wrong though educates the poster and also educates other people reading the thread.

Talliesin wrote: »
    It's also just as logically possible that you're an idiot though.

It would explain your lack of social skills and inability to grasp simple concepts, no?

If I make an idiotic post in relation to something that I profess to be experienced in - then yes, I, like anyone else, will also be an idiot.

All for one - and one for all.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I do not respond to such vulgar language from undereducated people.

OK, I'd like to ask you a few simple questions:

Do you honestly believe your're superior to most, if not all, other posters on this site? If so, why?

Let's assume you are superior to the rest of us, do you honestly believe that people enjoy being spoken down to and condescended?

Do you honestly believe that speaking to people in this manner will strengthen your case in any way or even get you a fair hearing?

These are simple questions and are not intended to attack or judge you in any way, I'm just curious as to why you seem to have such a problem dealing with people on this site.

I call shenanigans!

It was a good troll, and I'll admit it had me fooled, but this is the one that demonstrates it.

He can't really be this thick.

Read my slogan - some of us mean what we say - and say what we mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

It is a logical deduction that if someone who professes to be experienced in a certain field makes idiotic posts, then they are in fact idiots - someone who has no real experience in the field would not fall into the same group - they would be just ignorant.

So someone with no experience in a certain field is ignorant when they claim to know how things should be done?

What then does that make someone who professes as to how an online forum should be run.
    Article43 wrote:

Moreso than most. But I don't think you got my meaning.

See that was why you were banned. One of the main rules of boards is attack the post not the poster. If you had stated that the poster was wrong and then showed how they were wrong we wouldn't be here.

The reason this is, is because calling someone an idiot doesn't accomplish anything and may cause them to say something similar back and before you know it the thread has descended into nothing but abuse. Showing them how they are wrong though educates the poster and also educates other people reading the thread.

The Truth must always be said - no matter what the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I have seen some long nicks today - but I should have know it would be a mod - must be a clan thing, maybe ye are all little gamer fellows who shoot guns at each other all day :rolleyes:

Tell you what, I'm not a mod and everything I have read speaks true to me. Except your posts. wacko.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Gordon - now that you have written more than one or two lines, like the majority do, I can see a bit more of your character.

I am treated unfairly as I spent my time, initially, in good faith, willing to share my experiences for the good of others.

During the course of my posts, some so called experts started to make idiotic posts in relation to trading - and I can prove that they are idiotic - so; I called them idiots.

It is a logical deduction that if someone who professes to be experienced in a certain field makes idiotic posts, then they are in fact idiots - someone who has no real experience in the field would not fall into the same group - they would be just ignorant.
    Hmm, so you got banned for calling someone an idiot because you believe that they made idiotic posts. Is this because they professed to be experienced and you can show them that they are wrong?

I understand how you feel that some people you think are idiots. It's not really sharing experiences for the good of others though is it? Boards.ie exists as a community for the good of others, and that's great that you have seen this and given your own advice for the good of others as you say. But what good is calling someone an idiot? Why not teach, that's good for others.

However, that's a moral that I like to live by. The fact is that if you call a person an idiot then it's more than likely that you will get banned from the forum. You have to really check the charter of the forum you are posting in to get an idea of the rules and guidelines. Although most fora are very similar in their ethos'.

How long is your ban for, have you been told? I know how you feel, it's annoying to get banned, but it's also annoying to have people calling each other idiots. It gives the place such a negative vibe, it makes people hate each other and then they don't feel like being in a community and helping each other out. For the good of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well - you do live up to your name, I will say that at least for you :D

Now YOU are following me around. YOU are stalking ME. And I am one of the moderator-clan-with-the-long-names. I enjoy protected status, despite only 4 years of primary education (us of the moderator-clan-with-the-long-names are all undereducated, whatever that means). Glad to see you've changed your sig to something more appropriate.

Zaph wrote: »
    Let's assume you are superior to the rest of us, do you honestly believe that people enjoy being spoken down to and condescended?
    You know, in one way he's superior to Socrates as his mis-quoting signature seems to claim.

If Socrates had of just gone around trying to calling people idiots, rather than actually arguing against them, he would have been just called an idiot back (see above thread) and that'd be that.

He wouldn't be famous, but he wouldn't have downed a hemlock cocktail either.

Then again, Conium maculatum isn't the nastiest posion to die from, and he could have walked under a chariot the very next day.

Anyway, what's everyone's favourite comic misquote of Socrates? Mine is:
    I think Socrates said it best, when he said, "I drank what?!"

Zaph wrote: »
    OK, I'd like to ask you a few simple questions:

Do you honestly believe your're superior to most, if not all, other posters on this site? If so, why?

No - I am just a normal pleb like the rest of you here.

If someone does not want to post they don't have to!

Do you honestly believe that speaking to people in this manner will strengthen your case in any way or even get you a fair hearing?

The Truth must be spoken no matter what the outcome is.

These are simple questions and are not intended to attack or judge you in any way, I'm just curious as to why you seem to have such a problem dealing with people on this site.

I have no problem dealing with people at all - but certain type of people seem to have a problem dealing with me

Thx

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The Truth must always be said - no matter what the consequences.
    Well the truth is that the consequences of calling someone an idiot is a ban.

Tell you what, I'm not a mod and everything I have read speaks true to me. Except your posts. wacko.

You are entitled to your opinion - the same as everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Article23 wrote:

What a pity it couldn't have been even remotely interesting.

This thread is like having a game of "I know you are but what am I?" with a five year old. Cute for about 5 minutes until it's time to send it back to its parents.

• Advertisement

Or in keeping with empirical evidence.

Gordon wrote: »
    Hmm, so you got banned for calling someone an idiot because you believe that they made idiotic posts. Is this because they professed to be experienced and you can show them that they are wrong?

CORRECT

I understand how you feel that some people you think are idiots. It's not really sharing experiences for the good of others though is it? Boards.ie exists as a community for the good of others, and that's great that you have seen this and given your own advice for the good of others as you say. But what good is calling someone an idiot? Why not teach, that's good for others.

I have tried - but idiots interfere with idiotic statements - so they must be shown for what they really are - idiots.

However, that's a moral that I like to live by. The fact is that if you call a person an idiot then it's more than likely that you will get banned from the forum. You have to really check the charter of the forum you are posting in to get an idea of the rules and guidelines. Although most fora are very similar in their ethos'.

What will be will be.

How long is your ban for, have you been told? I know how you feel, it's annoying to get banned, but it's also annoying to have people calling each other idiots. It gives the place such a negative vibe, it makes people hate each other and then they don't feel like being in a community and helping each other out. For the good of others.

I only called those people who posted idiotic posts idiots - I am not calling you an idiot, am I - can you not see the logic in this way of thiking?

Thx

Slow coach wrote: »
    Now YOU are following me around. YOU are stalking ME. And I am one of the moderator-clan-with-the-long-names. I enjoy protected status, despite only 4 years of primary education (us of the moderator-clan-with-the-long-names are all undereducated, whatever that means). Glad to see you've changed your sig to something more appropriate.

I did not change my sig - and if you did then I will be contacting the owner of this site.

You can ban me or stalk me all you like - but if you interfere with my personal details then you will need to be punished - so I am now giving you a chance to change it back, and it better be exactly as it was - do you understand this clearly enough.

You know, in one way he's superior to Socrates as his mis-quoting signature seems to claim.

If Socrates had of just gone around trying to calling people idiots, rather than actually arguing against them, he would have been just called an idiot back (see above thread) and that'd be that.

He wouldn't be famous, but he wouldn't have downed a hemlock cocktail either.

Then again, Conium maculatum isn't the nastiest posion to die from, and he could have walked under a chariot the very next day.

Anyway, what's everyone's favourite comic misquote of Socrates? Mine is:

Now that is very close to an idiotic post - so we will need to watch you.

Stark wrote: »
    What a pity it couldn't have been even remotely interesting.

This thread is like having a game of "I know you are but what am I?" with a five year old. Cute for about 5 minutes until it's time to send it back to its parents.

No one is keeping you here - or anyone else for that matter.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Article43 wrote:
    No - I am just a normal pleb like the rest of you here.

Referring to people as plebs, even if you're including yourself in that, is not really a vote winner. Had you said "normal posters" it wouldn't have had the same air of superiority that that comment has.
    Article43 wrote:
    If someone does not want to post they don't have to!

It's hard to bite your tongue if you're being spoken to as if you were a rather dim-witted child.
    Article43 wrote:

Fair enough, but you know what the outcome is. Just because you don't like the outcome doesn't mean it will change.
    Article43 wrote:
    I have no problem dealing with people at all - but certain type of people seem to have a problem dealing with me

See above re. being condescending towards people. It might explain why they have such difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

No one is keeping you here - or anyone else for that matter.

Best point you've made so far.
    'Night all!

I did not change my sig - and if you did then I will be contacting the owner of this site.
    I thought you said this site didn't have an owner?

I thought you said this site didn't have an owner?

Not that I recall - it is a Public forum, but like all public forums it has an owner, or several owners.

Do you think they run this site for a charity - some hope of that:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What other usernames did this psycho have?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement