Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speaker configuration.

Options
  • 04-04-2008 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

ok wasn't sure where to post but it's motors i guess.

Anyway. I'm looking at getting a set of speakers to replace the stock set in my car (nothing huge) basically 4 speakers preferably: 2 in parcel shelf (for show and use naturally). the 2nd set to maybe go in around the kick plates?

i'm looking to get good bass from the front speakers and clear sound out of the rear. Or would a good set work from the rear only? i'm not sure so any advice on postions and types would be helpful.

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Personally i would buy four full range speakers, good quality=more money, they will give as the name suggests good bass, mid range and treble.
    Depends what stereo/amp can handle.
    Is there speakers in the back already? wiring is a bit*h and look best if done neatly.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Full range speakers? are they more expensive? what do they look like/price range..

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-UEx3obR51tl/learningcenter/car/speakers.html

Its not a bad quick explanation to what i was saying. How much how big??!
    Basic spaekers probably around €90 each then you can go up to anything!

The best way to do car stereo is to seperate it into tweeters, mid range speakers and sub woofer, this wll take up alot of space in the car, sound good yeah, but some modding might have to be done to the interior.

Halfords is always good for the range they have with regards audio, you will need to know the power rating of the stereo you have installed.

As your in meath, heres somebody i found!
    http://www.rpmcc.ie/
    They supply pioneeer i know the stuff i would buy personally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Speakers in parcel shelves never sound good as they're not enclosed.

A subwoofer in your boot will sound a lot better (you can even make one yourself fairly easily, it's just a wooden box of particular dimensions).

At the front I would put a component kit if your budget stretches to it, or a set of single cone speakers and seperate tweeters (you can't connect tweeters inline with speakers that already have tweeters built in).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

JHMEG wrote: »

A subwoofer in your boot will sound a lot better (you can even make one yourself fairly easily, it's just a wooden box of particular dimensions).

At the front I would put a component kit if your budget stretches to it, or a set of single cone speakers and seperate tweeters (you can't connect tweeters inline with speakers that already have tweeters built in).

+1

Decent components up front ( Tweeter and Mid Cone ) and put a subwoofer in the boot.

IF you still want to mount speakers in the parcel shelf, focus your attention to the front speakers ( That is where you sit, isn't it ? ). I would still be inclined to install a set of components in the front, especially if your car can facilitate them. There is no point in spending alot of money for parcel shelf speakers, they won't sound great on the shelf and as I said, you will do most of your listening in the front, so that is where you want clarity.

Out of curiosity, what car are they going into?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

JHMEG wrote: »

Can i get away withouth tweeters? or would a full component speaker suffice?
    I heard that mounting in the parcel shelf can cause a lot of 'off' sounds due to vibration. I'm not looking to get great sound. Just good quality. I forget where the speakers (factory fitted) are in the car at the moment. I would suspect they're all in the doors.

How about two cones up front and something similar in the back? I don't want to get a sub as i'm not interested in that much.Also, i don't have an amp just a 4x 5o watt RMS radio.
    HungryJoey wrote: »
    +1

Decent components up front ( Tweeter and Mid Cone ) and put a subwoofer in the boot.

IF you still want to mount speakers in the parcel shelf, focus your attention to the front speakers ( That is where you sit, isn't it ? ). I would still be inclined to install a set of components in the front, especially if your car can facilitate them. There is no point in spending alot of money for parcel shelf speakers, they won't sound great on the shelf and as I said, you will do most of your listening in the front, so that is where you want clarity.

Out of curiosity, what car are they going into?

It's going into a Hyundai Accent. I wan't minimal mods needed to the car and just some good low-mid range sounds. Something to reproduce the bass easily. (not booming down the road though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

congo_90 wrote: »
    Can i get away withouth tweeters? or would a full component speaker suffice?
    Seperate tweeters are slightly better, but alternatively a good two way speaker is not a bad choice. Pioneer speakers are excellent.

Replace the ones in the front doors, ie don't go cutting new holes. Take out one of the ones you have and you'll see its size. They're all standard sizes.

Parcel shelf speakers will not give you good sound. Even if you have super big expensive speakers they'll still sound scratchy.

Advertisement