Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gray wolf

Options
  • 04-04-2008 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Well the gray wolf is off the endangered species register in the usa.I dont think this is a good idea at all .The wolf has been persecuted for centurys , even while it was on the endangered list .I think now it will be hunted again i really hope this wont be the case.A lot of people even when the wolf was protected poisoned /trapped and shot them illegally .Wolves are such loyal animals and deserve protection.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

Morganna wrote: »
    Well the gray wolf is off the endangered species register in the usa.I dont think this is a good idea at all .The wolf has been persecuted for centurys , even while it was on the endangered list .I think now it will be hunted again i really hope this wont be the case.
    are ye saying that the gray wolf are hunted down by people?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

Yes they are cruelly hunted poisoned etc by people .

Yes they are cruelly hunted poisoned etc by people .
    for what reason morg?

fear and predjudice .

fear and predjudice .
    killing them for being scared of them is what you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

If wolves can be used as a sustainable resource in hunting for their pelt etc than why not?.

It should be celebrated when an animal is taken off the endangered list.

Well you certainly have the right name evil by name ..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LovelyTom

Surely the wolves won't be any where near civilization? If they are hunted again I'd imagine it would be for game. A new prey maybe? more desirable trophy? It's a real shame, they're beautiful animals.

+1
    :d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just on a point of clarity.
    Removing a species from the endangered list does not automatically change their status from protected to unprotected and certainly does not permit hunting.
    Their removal fron the endangered list hs been broadly welcomed as a successful defence of a species.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭NoNameRanger

Just on a point of clarity.
    Removing a species from the endangered list does not automatically change their status from protected to unprotected and certainly does not permit hunting.
    Their removal fron the endangered list hs been broadly welcomed as a successful defence of a species.

I agree totally, it should be seen as a major achievement for conservationist. Bringing this animal back from near extinction should be celebrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I've got nothing against wolves whatsoever, on the contrary ...but what on earth do you mean by this:

Wolves are such loyal animals

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but afaik hunts began as soon as they were removed from the endangered list and several have already been killed.
    See here

peasant wrote: »
    I've got nothing against wolves whatsoever, on the contrary ...but what on earth do you mean by this:

?
    What i mean is wolves are so loyal to their pack and each other.

yes as soon as they where removed the hunting started as Gerky says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

gerky wrote: »
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but afaik hunts began as soon as they were removed from the endangered list and several have already been killed.
    See here

Ah! They were de-listed as well as being taken off the American Endangered list. That's a different kettle of fish altogether. You're in to US Federal law here and you know the yanks - shoot anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If I'm not mistaken a grey wolf preys or prefers to prey on larger mammals ( style small deer ) an would be cleaning up a fair few sick and diseased animals so they have a fairly usefull role to play in the North-American eco-system and I suppose they're still not at what would be a generally maximum sustainable level of population so why lift protection ?

If cases of serious and systematic preying on livestock would occur you can still have a system in place to hunt the rogue individual or rogue pack. Imo badly controlled dogs form a bigger problem in this context in the US just as well as over here.

Advertisement