Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mini

Options
  • 04-04-2008 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

My sister is determined to get a new mini.

Any strong opinions or anything to know about them. They seem hideously overpriced to me, especially over here. Are htey spacious?? My sister is 6' tall.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

cantdecide wrote: »
    My sister is determined to get a new mini.

Any strong opinions or anything to know about them. They seem hideously overpriced to me, especially over here. Are htey spacious?? My sister is 6' tall.

MINIs are great cars. They seem very good value new to me (as long as the buyer doesn't tick all those cool but very expensive option boxes), but depreciation is very low, which suggests bad value second hand

Both my sisters are well over 6' and they fit well into a MINI

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I love MINIs! They are absolutely fab, and sooo roomy inside. I'm 5'10" and whenever I've sat in one I have loads of space. They are not a small person's car! Maybe the old Mini was tight for tall people but the new MINI is very spacious inside.

They are priced at the price they are because they are just so amazing and of course made by BMW so you are getting the best. Plus they hold their value really really well. I'm getting one in July, roll on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

there a great car that got re-vamped by bmw , which means there less likly to break but when they do there quite expencive but even still... you'll love it so much it dont really matter , im over 6' and and have inch of head and leg room

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

unkel wrote: »
    MINIs are great cars. They seem very good value new to me (as long as the buyer doesn't tick all those cool but very expensive option boxes), but depreciation is very low, which suggests bad value second hand

Both my sisters are well over 6' and they fit well into a MINI

New, yes, not too bad, pricewise (I couldn't resist the box ticking if it were me, though).

She would be looking for a '02-'04. It seems like you can have a crap one for in or around the same money as a Cooper S. Budget is undetermined as yet but I've told her since depreciation is not much of a factor on these, she's probably better off spending an extra few quid for a top spec older example than spending a few extra coming up the years.

I've told her to go for a Cooper S (are these supercharged??) but is there any extras worth holding out for or anything silly that's ommited? I'll probably shoot over to the UK for her because they seem to depreciate more realistically over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Mini's hold their value really well, thay're also great little cars (except for the new clubman - it's hideous)

as for height issues we'll need photos of her to make our minds up :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

steve06 wrote: »
    Mini's hold their value really well, thay're also great little cars (except for the new clubman - it's hideous)

as for height issues we'll need photos of her to make our minds up :D

Cheeky little b*stard:D Clubman is beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭blackbox

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I love MINIs! They are absolutely fab, and sooo roomy inside. I'm 5'10" and whenever I've sat in one I have loads of space. They are not a small person's car! Maybe the old Mini was tight for tall people but the new MINI is very spacious inside.

How much room is there for passengers in the back?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

blackbox wrote: »

With two tall people in the front you would struggle to fit anything but a 4 year old in the back due to legroom.

There is a surprisingly large amount of head room in the Mini though.

Their residual values are very strong which although you lose out from if buying used, you'll make it up when you come to sell it on at the other end IMO.

As much as I like my girlfriend's one and find it fun to drive, it's a perfect girls car - cause that's what it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Dunno yet, I'm heading to a dealer on Saturday to decide on my option-ticking (no I can't resist not getting extras!). I have never sat in the back of one but my friend has said it is quite roomy. It can only fit two in the back though - it's not like a normal smallish car where you fit two comfortably plus one in the middle. The backseats in the MINI are actually shaped for two people, rather than being a flat seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭DubLegs

I've always wondered about the new mini fitting taller people. For a person who it tall but mainly long legs, does it cause problems?
    I wanted a Clio for ages but found when i sat in it, there was no room for long legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 helpme07

I have owned 4 new mini's and i've had 4 six footers in the car at the same time on many an ocassion.It might not be the most comfotable for people in the back but it's bearable. The back seats are deep and are like bucket seats and can therfore accomodate the passengers. Don't agree that mini's are just for girls but for a bloke it has to be a Cooper S. Here's mine which is for sale at the mo...:Dhttp://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mini/Cooper/S-Leather/680941/

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

steve06 wrote: »

I was quite surprised when I saw it in person - wasn't half as bad as I was thinking.

Incidentally, the old mini wasn't as bad for tall people as you may expect. The boot and bonnet were tiny, and the back seat not great (though quite comparable with other cars in its class), but not as much compromise for the driver as you may expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

Truthfully backseats not great if you are long legged. Boot is small. Only problem I had really is I couldn't stop ticking the option boxes :o anyway tho I love mine and I think it would be something special to make me change. Since I have it I can't stop smiling, I love driving it and I dont think thats a bad complaint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭endplate

The MINI is a great car very nippy and very reliable. If you purchase new get the TLC pack this will cover all your servicing for 5 years or 80,000KM's. Plenty of room in the front seats for driver and passenger but not a lot in the back but it works ok. Also the economy of the car is brilliant. The 1.6l petrol does about 46mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,432 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eoin_s wrote: »
    Incidentally, the old mini wasn't as bad for tall people as you may expect. The boot and bonnet were tiny, and the back seat not great (though quite comparable with other cars in its class), but not as much compromise for the driver as you may expect.

Indeed. It fitted 5 200 pound 6 foot army sergeants the last time I was in one :D

Not comfortably though surprise, surprise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭agent_smith

I was also surprised when i saw them. I originaly thought they were stunning little cars... very distinctive look to them. They are classless, in that you could park one next to a top of the line merc and still would not look out of place.
    I was also surprised at the leg room. I'm 6'3 and had plenty of leg and head room to spare. Jeremy clarkson commented on the space in his review, and he raved about it being a real drivers car. Low center of gravity, very very light, wheels planted right in the four corners, lots of power (particularly in the cooper s) and built great.
    I had a spin of a cooper s clubman in joe duffys recently. That thing goes like a hot snot. I've had a go of a gti and a few other hot hatches before , but for fun behind the wheel, speed, pick up and road holding, not even the golf gti could hold a candle. Amazing little car that felt more like a go kart!
    Interior of them is sweet too, build quality of plastics and switchgear is typical bmw. I do agree though, they are rediculously over priced for the size of the car... and keep in mind they might be great craic to drive, but boot space is non existant.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭massivemagumbos

grand girl's car, if she's young, get her the mini one, if she's closing in on 25-30, get her the mini cooper (engine management in the original 1.6 engines gave the cooper 25 more bhp but less fuel economy), then if you are a gay guy the one to have is the cooper S. I know so many girl's with the cooper S not knowing that they own a car that does 0-60 in 7 seconds, they only bought it because it was the most expensive one. A second hand 04 Cooper S shud set u back 18-20k, sunroof and all, good price i think. Only put people you hate in the back of it. Cuz its not a nice place to be. Even the front feels a bit claustro! Its a BMW, it will break. But this is worth it. Cuz if u buy a mini or a BMW, u'll enjoy telling people you own a Mini/BMW. Get me? haha, its a car bought with the heart, and not the head, or the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

the original mini blows the crap out of the new mini, ive driven both and the original mini (with a tuned engine) is faster ,(excluding the S).

take both on a back road and you will pick the original mini. only downside to the original is the fact you have to maintain it...haynes manual + socket set does this grand:D

as for resale, i wouldnt touch one at the moment, car sales are stagnent and the MINI market is flooded. supply is more than demand.

the bmw trim is ****e too, falls apart.

Jeremy clarkson did not appear to agree. Neither did the guys from fifth gear. All thought the newly redesigned mini is a far superior drive to the older one...
    Anyway performance like beauty is often in the eye of the beholder :)
    As for being a gay car..... im a straight guy and i would have no probs driving one as would many of my straight petrol head friends. Lets not take the piss out of it... it does 0 -60 in very respectable 7 seconds. Can easily be tuned for more, handles like a go kart and is immensely fun. A real petrol head car IMHO.
    would i buy one... probably not thinking about it now in hindsight. My reason is simple.... i need bootspace. But yeh its a great car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

If you are going to get a mini, my advice is to get it in England and import it into Ireland. Better cheaper cars there.

• Advertisement

Jeremy clarkson did not appear to agree. Neither did the guys from fifth gear. All thought the newly redesigned mini is a far superior drive to the older one...
    Anyway performance like beauty is often in the eye of the beholder :)
    As for being a gay car..... im a straight guy and i would have no probs driving one as would many of my straight petrol head friends. Lets not take the piss out of it... it does 0 -60 in very respectable 7 seconds. Can easily be tuned for more, handles like a go kart and is immensely fun. A real petrol head car IMHO.
    would i buy one... probably not thinking about it now in hindsight. My reason is simple.... i need bootspace. But yeh its a great car.

ive driven both and own the better one of the two, what do you base your argument on?? jeremy clarkson??sunday indo?? bull****?

as for ride quality of course the ride quality will be better, i mean i hope suspension technology has moved along in the previous 50 years:D

no ****ing way is the handling, rawness and sheer thrill of driving the old one with a tuned engine, near the refined bore of the bmw version. lets see how many new minis are around in 50 years, doubt they will have a production run of 43 years either.

sure jeremy clarkson is bible:rolleyes:, but incidentally ive video where he says different, it aint on youtube so i cant link it, but its in his top 100 DVD where the mini comes 8th , the bmw version didnt feature at all , apart from being made a fool of by the real mini:D:cool:

that ending is well staged, the classic obviously beat the crap outa the new one. and thats a stripped out works mini that was thrashed.

ive driven both and own the better one of the two, what do you base your argument on?? jeremy clarkson??sunday indo?? bull****?
    So its bull**** because it does not concur with your opinion? Ive driven the older (pre bmw mini), had a go of the 2004 cooper s, and the 2007 cooper s. Without doubt the latest cooper s is the nicest place to be and car to drive IMHO.
    As for jeremy clarksons opinion, sunday indo, etc.. while these are opinions and we are all entitled to our own and all that lark... they come from credible sources. Guys who have driven anything and everything and are paid to get their 'expert' opinion. I do place some faith in reviews i read from credible sources. More often than not the guys performing the review are better qualified than i am.
    as for ride quality of course the ride quality will be better, i mean i hope suspension technology has moved along in the previous 50 years
    why does this bother you ?
    no ****ing way is the handling, rawness and sheer thrill of driving the old one with a tuned engine, near the refined bore of the bmw version. lets see how many new minis are around in 50 years, doubt they will have a production run of 43 years either.
    Again IMHO the new car is a nicer car to drive and place to be for me. Aint that progress for ya. Never said the original was in any way rubbish.

sure jeremy clarkson is bible, but incidentally ive video where he says different, it aint on youtube so i cant link it, but its in his top 100 DVD where the mini comes 8th , the bmw version didnt feature at all , apart from being made a fool of by the real mini
    [/QUOTE]
    I doubt that .... still im open to being told different :) Il go rent the dvd.
    Incidentally did you see the you tube video where tiff needel puts the old mini against the new old one (pre 2007 model mini). Quite funny, the new mini was quicker off the mark and then as the old mini was catching up the engine went on fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I would hope that a car that is nearly 50 years newer and not a budget car is more refined than the original.

So its bull**** because it does not concur with your opinion? Ive driven the older (pre bmw mini), had a go of the 2004 cooper s, and the 2007 cooper s. Without doubt the latest cooper s is the nicest place to be and car to drive IMHO.
    As for jeremy clarksons opinion, sunday indo, etc.. while these are opinions and we are all entitled to our own and all that lark... they come from credible sources. Guys who have driven anything and everything and are paid to get their 'expert' opinion. I do place some faith in reviews i read from credible sources. More often than not the guys performing the review are better qualified than i am.

sorry, but your original post, you never said you drove either, it came across like you were talking out your arse.:)
    if you have indeed driven both then your entitled to your opinion as its based on fact, not because i dont agree.
    but ive a strong feeling the old one you drove was a 850 or a 998, a tuned 1275 or a 1380 is where the fun is:D
    why does this bother you ?.

what bother me?? the fact that i hope suspension has moved on in 50 years??
    it would really bother me if it hadnt, especially if the car was overpriced like the BINI.

Again IMHO the new car is a nicer car to drive and place to be for me. Aint that progress for ya. Never said the original was in any way rubbish. .

id ****ing hope so,power this and seats that massage your hole?? my mini doesnt have this and doesnt need it, thats the fun of it, its RAW. the BINI id drive a-b, the old mini id go A-B, then cdefghij, because its fun and makes me smile.

I doubt that .... still im open to being told different :) Il go rent the dvd.

do its the one with his top 100 and worst 10, quite a old one tower records have it for a tenner
    Incidentally did you see the you tube video where tiff needel puts the old mini against the new old one (pre 2007 model mini). Quite funny, the new mini was quicker off the mark and then as the old mini was catching up the engine went on fire!

eh no i didnt see a fire, all i saw was a new modern works car getting embarrased by a 50 year old cooper S.
    then i was TOLD the classic mini dropped a valve, plausible, but on a race car unlikely.
    The end was bollix, a 1380 mini can lap mondello 1 sec slower that a race spec scooby:D

eh no i didnt see a fire, all i saw was a new modern works car getting embarrased by a 50 year old cooper S.
    then i was TOLD the classic mini dropped a valve, plausible, but on a race car unlikely.
    where there is smoke there is .... :D

like i said earlier. I think the mini is a cracking car. handles amazing and goes to show that lighter cars can be more fun to drive than big heavy ones.

where there is smoke there is .... :D

like i said earlier. I think the mini is a cracking car. handles amazing and goes to show that lighter cars can be more fun to drive than big heavy ones.

i doubt very much that was real smoke, as i dont think gathering around the minis engine bay in that situation is smart, also that mini is race spec so has battery cut off, fuel cut off, and a fire extiguisher plumbed into the engine bay;)

and yes big cars are ****:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,514 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Was thinking of a new Cooper Diesel hopefully next Jan with just bigger alloys, met paint and those gorgeous stripes on the bonnet. And can't forget the spare wheel for 70 quid more!
    How much is servicing, say compared to 100 euro for a focus etc and has anyone had any real problems with them?
    Must say, the second hand values seem scandalous altogether! Wonder how people will feel in July when price comes down 3k and their second value will be wayyyyyyyyy overpriced

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

TheDriver wrote: »
    Was thinking of a new Cooper Diesel hopefully next Jan with just bigger alloys, met paint and those gorgeous stripes on the bonnet. And can't forget the spare wheel for 70 quid more!
    How much is servicing, say compared to 100 euro for a focus etc and has anyone had any real problems with them?
    Must say, the second hand values seem scandalous altogether! Wonder how people will feel in July when price comes down 3k and their second value will be wayyyyyyyyy overpriced

BMW offer a TLC service pack on the MINI too, I think it is for 3 or 5 years at a fixed price, something like €500 afaik which isn't bad.

BTW anyone else think the new MINI Clubman is hideous looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MAKE MY DAY

TLC pack is five years at €250

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Sod all

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement